“asking for help”

Harris & Hoole Barnet
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I went to Harris and Hoole in High Barnet around midday today and at some stage needed some help, I was offered the best customer service ever by Susan Toelkemeler. I asked her where she got her good customer service training from she explained that it was her first day in this coffee shop. She could teach a thing or two to her colleagues and I would not be surprised if she was managing one of the branches soon. Well done Susan and good luck in your new job.

2  Thank jaccede

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Hate the fact this place is owned by Tesco but thought I would try it anyway. Staff absolutely delightful. Very nice atmosphere but apparently at certain times it is swarming with babies and pushchairs. So very child friendly (and there is a sort of play area at the back). Unfortunately the Expresso I had was quite undrinkable for some reason. I guess the guy made it wrong. Anyway I am prepared to try the place again with my friends.

1  Thank mattingley12
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were looking for a place to have breakfast in Barnet High Street. MacDonalds is just not our scene but Harris + Hoole looked inviting. At first we thought it was too buzzing for a pair of 50/60 year olds but the bacon baps and cups of coffee were beckoning. We got used to the atmosphere, the buzz was friendly and welcoming. We liked being called by name to pick up our coffees, the bacon bap was a lovely ciabatta roll stuffed full of bacon, the yummy mummies had an area of their own and we liked the quirky community calendar on the chalkboard. The place obviously appealed to a wide range of customers, there were students on their laptops, singles, couples, families. We liked the way Leon came over specially to tell us that Marvin and Rochelle Humes were sitting in the alcove. We did know that this was a chain and something to do with Tesco but it felt like an independent artisan coffee shop. We liked the rustic crockery and the eco-friendly style. The décor was lovely and most important of all the toilet was beautiful! There was something very personal about the service which made us feel part of the place. We felt H+H was a welcome change to other High Street coffee shops and we went back there for tea and cake in the afternoon. We would definitely seek out branches in other locations and wouldn't hesitate to recommend H+H to our family and friends.

1  Thank Geewhizz7
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Love the food and the coffee. Love the chain but Finchley and Tooley St as well as Cannon St have much better staff and service. Need to get this fixed. Sort it out Barnet.

1  Thank J_Barnet1973
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I buy a coffee here at least 3 times a week before work as it's on the way, I much prefer this coffee to other chains and I love that they make a heart when pouring the coffee. I think it's really decently priced for the high quality of the coffee and the stamp cards where you can get one free is a good idea. Some people think the coffee is too strong but I really like it and I like the H&H takeaway cups that stay hot without the need for cardboards sleeves that don't fit in my car cup holder! The coffee is still hot when I get to work, which is more than can be said for coffee from somewhere near beginning with S...

The staff are nice but not as 'welcoming' as they were when the place first opened. It seems a bit like the appeal has worn off, there is no consistency - no one really asks for your name anymore or whether you would like any food or have a loyalty card. To me, customer service is so important or people won't return to places. I understand people get good days and bad days but I feel the standards have slipped only slightly, like another reviewer said the service is variable. Most of the time the girls at the till are lovely!

A few times in the North Finchley one I have paid for a large takeaway coffee but been given a medium, the place is fairly busy in the morning so I don't always want to bother the staff by telling them to make me another one. It annoys me though as it has happened a few times now, the one time I did point out the barista's mistake he was so moody and poured the coffee away in front of me then made a point of making sure he looked at me when he made a brand new one with fresh milk. I didn't want a brand new drink, just more milk added to the latte I had! And once I ordered a chai latte there, got to work to find the guy had given me hot milk and the chai powder but with no coffee in! When it's busy maybe double check you order before you leave.

I love the iced teas and I really like the food here, the bacon ciabatta roll is SO TASTY and there's so much bacon in it! They grill it for you so it's hot to take away. I just wish there were more "home made" looking cakes and more options for people with coeliac. Obviously the cakes are bought in but there should be more than muffins and cookies, most people who drink coffee or tea want a nice wodge of cake on the side! I think there needs to be more cake on offer, like a big carrot cake/victoria sponge/chocolate fudge. When it first opened, they sold a gluten free lemon polenta cake but I haven't see it in there for weeks? Maybe it wasn't popular.

It's really busy at the weekends but midweek you can always get a seat, in the mornings there are always mums meeting with their prams so the place seems child friendly. I like the way the shop looks like an individual coffee shop instead of the chain that it is, like with the brown paper clipboard menus. The board/diary on the wall with all the community activities and postcards from people makes the place look homely and is a nice touch to the shop.

1  Thank ElleP283