“They Can't Even Make a Simple Sandwich”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Horse Pub

Black Horse Pub
Ranked #20 of 119 Restaurants in Barnet
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
London, United Kingdom
“They Can't Even Make a Simple Sandwich”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

On a positive note, our pretty waitress was charming and the service good.

The pub got very noisy throughout the evening which made having a conversation very difficult and it wasn't fun being sat next to the door to the garden which left us all cold each time groups of smokers wanted to enter and exit.

My husband's burger was "ok" as was my friend's sausages and mash. My other friend had fish and chips...what on earth was the chef thinking by putting the cooked fish ON TOP of the chips thus making them soggy??????? There is stacking and there is stacking, and pubs should not do stacking, ESPECIALLY NOT on top of chips! I wanted the Caesar salad, but was told it was not available which led me to believe that they don't make their own dressing, because if they did, it would be on the menu, instead, I presumed that they had run out of the bottled stuff. How ludicrous. So I decided upon a sandwich. How can they possibly go wrong in making me a tuna sandwich? VERY VERY wrong! The thick white bread was STALE STALE STALE and the tuna mixed with mayonnaise was SPARCE SPARCE SPARCE. It was VILE VILE VILE and poorly presented, just cut in two. The chef should be ashamed of him or herself in not being able to make a decent sandwich. There is no excuse.

The noise was too loud for us so we left quickly. Not a good evening, not a good experience...Mr owner! please note....Two miles away, The Gate pub serves the kind of food that has people queuing for tables and it's always fabulous....I want you to succeed as well so please make this work and serve proper well HOME COOKED food, and we will all come a flocking to The Black Horse.

• Visited October 2013

Barnet
“Great place :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

We go on our only day off when we can, highly recommend it....great food @ a reasonable price....very clean and attentive staff......I would recommend the jerk chicken :-)

• Visited September 2013
London
“Great looking pub. Gastro pub prices. Good Garden.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Visited on a Saturday night. Pleased we'd booked a table - as it was heaving by the end of the night. About 6 'restaurant' tables (table service) . Loads of space outside , and pub / front (no table service) about 15 tables. I can see lots of people have said the service is poor here .... we actually had amazing service - 3 of us and a buggy, and despite the fact that we sat in the front of the pub (meant to be non table service) they said they would do table service. And were as attentive as they could be in a Saturday night, heaving pub. Saying that I could see that the bar was pretty much always a layer thick with people waiting, so they probably need more staff to cope with the numbers in there as that would have p1ssed me off had we not been lucky with the table service! Food was also good - the swordfish and veggies was great. Apparently the mezze platter is not so. And the pulled pork burger has been variable over a few visits! Good mixture of burgers, specials, and usual pub grub. It's not super cheap, but not massively so. Swordfish £13.50 / Bangers and mash £8.50 . Jug of pimms £15 / Prosecco £18. More than happy to do jugs of tap water. Had a great Saturday night in there. Mixture of families, mates and dates.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank ClareCHS
“Spoiled by bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

So disappointing. Everyone had high hopes for this pub when it re-opened. Barnet needs a good pub like this. However, although the refurbishment and garden are lovely and the beer is fantastic (although over-priced), the staff are so miserable and rude that the whole thing is doomed to fail. What is going on with the staff in this place?

VF

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank mattingley12
London
“Pub looks great, but sort out the food & service please!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

As local residents recently moved from North London we were quite excited about the refurbishment of this pub and had high hopes for a decent place to eat and drink.

Although the pub itself looks lovely and it's comfortable to have drinks inside or out in the new garden, I have to agree with other reviews and reiterate that they need to work on their service and food.

I've witnessed quite a bit of faffing, preening and flirting rather than providing excellent service. They're very friendly, but not quite on the ball.

The food is standard pub fare and is unimpressive. The last proper meal I had was around Christmas time and I've only ever had drinks in the pub since that meal. It took ages to arrive, and upon delivery was fairly flavourless and greasy. To get anyone's attention to pay was a major task.

I'm writing this review in hopes that my contribution will help improve things as the pub has lots of potential!

I recently ate at the Arkley and had a fantastic lunch (my friends food looked great too) so if you're in Barnet and fancy a nice pub meal I recommending going there, or to The Duke of York in Hadley.

• Visited July 2013