“Improving, albeit slowly....”

Price range: US$7 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I've been here several times now... with the first being a complete disaster.... we've given it a few chances and it has improved but still has a way to go.

First visit: for Sunday Roast- about 8 weeks after it opened.
There was a black board with a menu of different meats / fish/ nut roast on it. The only thing that was available was a roast variation (one, two or three courses). We ordered two chickens and two beefs.
Starters came out very quickly and were delicious. Mains took an absolute age and we had to chase them twice. Were informed after about a 35 minute wait that they'd run out of chicken (2pm on a Sunday). We ordered differerent meats. After about 1 hour and 15minutes the mains came out, significantly smaller than the large plates we'd seen put on other tables. I questioned it and also asked where all our yorkshire puddings were. I was told they had 'run out' - I didnt bother explaining to the young waiter how easy it was to make yorkshire puds, no point in shooting the messenger after all. The meat was good, but my roast potatoes (and those of my companions) were not cooked properly and were raw in the middle.
Coke from the tap was watery and had to be sent back. Asked to speak to the manager who said they were having teething problems. Didnt pay for mains.

Second visit: saturday lunch. We were asked to sit in the restaurant area if we wanted food as they were 'understaffed as the manager hasnt turned up'. We each ordered salads, they were good. Waiting staff running around like headless chickens but coping well under strain.

Third visit: sunday lunch again. Menu expanded and things other than roast available - yay! After ordering, was informed one of the group's menu choice wasnt available any more. The rest of the food was good.

Fourth visit: Sunday lunch. Had to move tables because first choice (outisde) was covered in glass as it looked like a window had been broken and recently replaced. Friends with baby placed him in one of the Black Horse's high chairs. The chair collapsed with the baby in it -broken. Waitress took chair away with no apology. Had to move tables as were being plagued by wasps. Food was good, until the end when friend found hair in his meal. Manager was called - and was very apologetic.I had lamb kebabs which were very good.

In two minds about whether to return for food or not, which is a shame because it has a great atmosphere when full!

1  Thank BorisBex

Reviewed 6 October 2013

On a positive note, our pretty waitress was charming and the service good.

The pub got very noisy throughout the evening which made having a conversation very difficult and it wasn't fun being sat next to the door to the garden which left us all cold each time groups of smokers wanted to enter and exit.

My husband's burger was "ok" as was my friend's sausages and mash. My other friend had fish and chips...what on earth was the chef thinking by putting the cooked fish ON TOP of the chips thus making them soggy??????? There is stacking and there is stacking, and pubs should not do stacking, ESPECIALLY NOT on top of chips! I wanted the Caesar salad, but was told it was not available which led me to believe that they don't make their own dressing, because if they did, it would be on the menu, instead, I presumed that they had run out of the bottled stuff. How ludicrous. So I decided upon a sandwich. How can they possibly go wrong in making me a tuna sandwich? VERY VERY wrong! The thick white bread was STALE STALE STALE and the tuna mixed with mayonnaise was SPARCE SPARCE SPARCE. It was VILE VILE VILE and poorly presented, just cut in two. The chef should be ashamed of him or herself in not being able to make a decent sandwich. There is no excuse.

The noise was too loud for us so we left quickly. Not a good evening, not a good experience...Mr owner! please note....Two miles away, The Gate pub serves the kind of food that has people queuing for tables and it's always fabulous....I want you to succeed as well so please make this work and serve proper well HOME COOKED food, and we will all come a flocking to The Black Horse.

Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

We go on our only day off when we can, highly recommend it....great food @ a reasonable price....very clean and attentive staff......I would recommend the jerk chicken :-)

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Visited on a Saturday night. Pleased we'd booked a table - as it was heaving by the end of the night. About 6 'restaurant' tables (table service) . Loads of space outside , and pub / front (no table service) about 15 tables. I can see lots of people have said the service is poor here .... we actually had amazing service - 3 of us and a buggy, and despite the fact that we sat in the front of the pub (meant to be non table service) they said they would do table service. And were as attentive as they could be in a Saturday night, heaving pub. Saying that I could see that the bar was pretty much always a layer thick with people waiting, so they probably need more staff to cope with the numbers in there as that would have p1ssed me off had we not been lucky with the table service! Food was also good - the swordfish and veggies was great. Apparently the mezze platter is not so. And the pulled pork burger has been variable over a few visits! Good mixture of burgers, specials, and usual pub grub. It's not super cheap, but not massively so. Swordfish £13.50 / Bangers and mash £8.50 . Jug of pimms £15 / Prosecco £18. More than happy to do jugs of tap water. Had a great Saturday night in there. Mixture of families, mates and dates.

1  Thank ClareCHS
Reviewed 31 August 2013

So disappointing. Everyone had high hopes for this pub when it re-opened. Barnet needs a good pub like this. However, although the refurbishment and garden are lovely and the beer is fantastic (although over-priced), the staff are so miserable and rude that the whole thing is doomed to fail. What is going on with the staff in this place?

VF