“Delightful surprise”

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We visited this restaurant for the first time yesterday, to celebrate a birthday. Our first choice of restaurant was closed on Mondays so we looked on the internet and found Shoku - well what a lucky find! The staff were friendly and efficient, the service was excellent and the food was amazing! We all went for one of the set menus (highly recommended) and the quantity and quality of the food was great - plus the variety of dishes for the price paid (about £20 per head) was exceptional. The charcoal grilled prawns, fish, chicken and lamb cutlets were especially delicious. We are good eaters and could not manage to eat everything so we my son and his partner took some home in a box, which the waiter was happy to provide and fill for us. The atmosphere and soft music were very nice and we will definitely be going back there again. The only criticism was their inability to serve a cocktail that the 'birthday girl' wanted because they said they did not have the right glass for it and were waiting for a delivery - very odd as they served other drinks in glasses that could easily have been used for a cocktail so I suspect they had nobody there who knew how to make the drink. However, everything else was so good that I can't really mark them down for that one shortcoming. If anyone has given this place a poor review then they either reviewed the wrong restaurant or there has been a drastic improvement and they should try it again soon.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is not your typical Japanese restaurant and so long as you realise that before you go you won't be disappointed if you were expecting sushi :o)

Menu is not over large but that's just as well because we wanted most things on it !

All the food was good quality and the service came with a smile.

Prices were reasonable - especially with the Taste card. We'll be back if we're in the area.

1  Thank GoCliff
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We eat out regularly and decided to give Shoku a try, especially as they accept Taste Card. Let’s just say that the experience was full of surprises.

The restaurant is much smaller than it appears from the website; the contemporary Japanese-style décor is attractive but it only seats around 20 people, and some of the tables were uncomfortably close together.

We decided on the tempura prawns and the Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Korroke – essentially croquettes - as starters. The prawns were quite nice but at £7.50 for three were over-priced, and the dipping sauce literally tasted of nothing at all. The Korroke were a bit bland, compensated for by the rather overpowering accompanying very thick sauce.

For mains we selected the chargrilled rib-eye and chargrilled teriyaki beef, priced at £13.50 and £12.50 respectively. When the waitress took our order and didn’t ask us how we wanted the beef cooked we offered the information to her all the same - I like my steak medium and my partner likes his rare. Unfortunately her command of English was very poor and she had no idea what ‘rare’ was – she’d never heard the word before and despite several attempts couldn’t even say it. Our hearts sank.

My partner ordered an Asahi beer – on the menu at £3.65 – and I asked for a small glass of the same. (Incidentally nowhere on the menu did it display say the size of any of the drinks against the law.)

The main courses duly arrived together with our side orders of rice, and stir-fried vegetables, both of which were substantial and tasty. Unfortunately the same can’t be said of the steak. Firstly the word ‘chargrilled’ is completely misleading – it simply wasn’t. Secondly the steaks were very thin, and the teriyaki beef comprised 75% fat and gristle. The 3 mouthfuls that were edible tasted quite nice, but at around £4 each would be on a par with waygu beef. So the main courses were overpriced and of poor quality.

Despite the various ‘challenges’ we had decided we might give Shoku ‘another go’, perhaps trying something else on the menu. But that changed once we received the bill.
Between us we had consumed 3 pints of Asahi and two halves; according to the itemised bill these came to £27 – in other words £3.65 for HALF an Asahi and a never-before-heard-of £7.30 for a pint.

We queried this with the waitress who informed us that the bill was correct and that £7.30 was indeed the correct price for a pint. We asked to see the Manager. To our astonishment - especially as we were there on a Saturday night - there was no Manager on site, just two waitresses and the chef. So the chef came to see us, again confirmed that the price was correct but we refused to pay. After some discussion he agreed to reduce the price of the drinks.

So if you’re happy to pay for expensive very average food, be ripped off for drinks, and don't mind going somewhere where even the Manager doesn't bother to turn up by all means give it a go. But my advice would be don’t bother. Go to Wagamama's instead. I would have given no stars but it's not an option on Trip Advisor.

1  Thank InsightLondon
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Really love the food here, flavours are right up my street & the smell of the barbecue is amazing, my mouth was watering as soon as I sat down! Waitress was friendly & prompt so all in all a great dining experience and will be back (especially for the seabass!)

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Went here two weeks ago on a Saturday yes tables were wobbly bit embarrassing for them you think they would fix this, food was nice but not amazing. Service was shockingly bad.
Went back on a weekday floor was dirty waitress same girl as before was absolutely rubbish we had to ask her to take drinks order ask for plates and the high chair they gave us was dirty scratched and looked fit for the bin. It was one of those cheap ones from ikea for £10 you think they could replace it. I wasn't impressed especially as we had phoned to book in advance.
The waitress had no idea how to serve and came across as lazy.

The fact that the floor was filthy really put me off eating here again.

Need to change waiting staff and get cleaners in, judging by the front of the restaurant I would hate to see what it looked like In the kitchen.

ShokuRestaurant, Manager at SOKO, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Thanks for your review as it give us an opportunity to improve and make our restaurant better.

Firstly, regarding the 'filthy floor', you would have noticed that we have black wooded floors which unfortunately highlight every little smear. We make every effort to clean the floors regularly, especially for this reason but a shoe smear on a black floor does not mean we lack hygiene. That's unfair.

As for our overall restaurant hygiene. We have two kitchens in our restaurant, one open so customers can see everything the chefs does and one closed (as normal). If there were any concerns about our hygiene we certainly would not have one kitchen on display. If you are still in any doubt, feel free to ask a member of staff to show you around our restaurant and you'll see that our hygiene is of a very high standard.

The high chair with scuffs has been replaced.

We are a small resaurant and I'm surprised to hear that your service was shockingly bad as we usually have two waiters in a small area. I'd like to apologise on our restaurants behalf and we'll make every effort to be better. I hope we see you again soon. Thank you