“excellent food”

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2014

brilliant restaurant food was excellent and dessert was fantastic, a little pricey but the food more than made up for it,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have just returned from dinner at Shoku and I was highly impressed, as was my wife.

The food was delicious. I strongly recommend the beef teriyaki. The portions were a decent size.

The staff were attentive and friendly.

We felt we got good value for money and we will be returning soon.

1  Thank Edward D
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I love Japanese food and the menu looked fantastic, so enticed by the description of the Oriental Crispy Duck Salad with pomegranate, our family chose to eat here. What a disappointment. This is a fairly small restaurant with basic wooden table but the decor is somewhat spoilt by very sickly yellow lighting. Despite the restaurant only having one other table to serve, we were left for at least 15 minutes before our drinks order was taken. The food arrived in reasonable time however our rice and drinks were missing. Without explanation, the waitress seated another table and proceeded to take their drinks order. I also noticed that my duck salad had no pomegranate. Turned out, the dish was basically a mediterranean salad with lettuce, tomatoes and avocado, with crispy duck on top. My partner had ordered the Spicy Chicken salad with Asian greens, shitake mushrooms, ginger and wasabi dressing but he also was served a mediterranean salad with avocado though his had chicken on top. After complaining, the waitress told me that they had no pomegranate. I asked why I had not been told beforehand and she just shrugged. I asked to speak to the chef, who unsurprisingly was not Japanese but did come to the table though was very sullen and unapologetic. He offered to let me order something else but that would have meant the others eating whilst I waited for something else to be prepared, then eating alone which was not ideal especially as by that time my children were getting restless. The food was OK but a pretty weird combination, not what I ordered and definitely not Japanese. They did take the cost of my salad off the bill however the decidedly average meal was already spoilt. What a shame.

2  Thank Merilyn B
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We wanted something different to eat from the usual restaurants in Barnet and were delighted with our choice. The waitress was charming attentive but not intrusive, even on a Friday night, not pushing for us to eat and get out. The food was delicious, the calamari was so good, the King prawn was amazing and I am critical, the Chicken Skewer sauce was too salty but that is my only complaint, good Asian Beer and mint tea, the food is cooked to order so complaints have been on poor service, i would rather the wait and have really tasty food than something that has no quality or taste.
We hope when we return again it will be just as good. Worth a visit.

1  Thank sebax
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely restaurant which serves fresh, refreshing and, most importantly, tasty food. The calamari starter was especially nice.
The waitress was courteous and made our dining experience enjoyable.
We will certainly be going back! :)