“Basic and Dated”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southerness
Parkdean - Southerness Holiday Park
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Just finished a four night stay at Southerness and was left entirely underwhelmed. The facilities were basic and were dated.

Arrived at the caravan to find a full wheelie bin outside which was never emptied during my stay. Stinking to say the least. Complaining on leaving I was told it should have been emptied on the Monday. Should being the operative word.

We intended using the pool more than we did although we found the pool temperature to be on the cold side. Speaking to other guests we know this seems to be a common issue.

Would I return to this site...? Probably not.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Scottieboy26

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We (hubby and me) try to have a long weekend twice a year. Usually somewhere run by Parkdean or Haven etc. I have found most Parks well run as was this one. The staff were friendly and helpful. We didn't have a kettle on arrival but that was sorted within minutes. The Park was clean, well maintained and the caravans all looked in very good condition. We had a huge 3 bed even though there was only the 2 of us, We don't buy the passes although we were told we could buy them on a daily basis which I thought was a good idea.
OUR HOLIDAY AIM.....we usually explore the area, walk for miles, look at the wildlife and take in the views. Walk along the beach and my husband looks in the rock pools. If this is the type of holiday you want then I suggest this isn't the area for you.
DISAPPOINTING....The whole area seems to be run down, the houses in most villages are in need of repair and the roads are terrible. I did my research before we went and we visited WIGTOWN for the Book Festival. Disappointing, car boot sales are better!! We couldn't get to The Crook of Baldoon to see the Ospreys because of a football match????? local traffic had parked down the road and it became impassable.
Kirkcudbright had a lovely little harbour. (That's it!) We drove to The Red Deer Range to find it didn't have a ranger so no walks. (That was Saturday!!)
We also went to Crainsmore Nature reserve..........fine if you have a 4X4 but they don't tell you that!! Don't break your car!!!
Back at the caravan park we walked along the beach at Southerness and it was littered with milk bottles and other bits of rubbish. The locals bungalows along the beach were in need of repair and one was like a junk yard. My husband lifted a rock to have a look and the smell was awful. Dirty and stagnant. ( It is an estuary ) I read that this is a wonderful buckets and spades beach....my kids wouldn't have played here.
THE HIGHLIGHT of our holiday was watching the Red Kites at Bellymack Hill Farm Feeding Station. What a sight, there must have been 80 Red Kites at least. The view was also lovely.

If you read my other reviews you will know I usually look on the bright side of everything but not this time. We went to Parkdeans Grannies Heilan Hame In Embo near Dornoch in May this year, I wish now we had gone back there. A much better area.
All in all NICE PARK DISAPPOINTING AREA.

Room Tip: If you want a clean sandy beach and excellent scenery go somewhere else. If your happy to stay on...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sallysarah
Reviewed 6 October 2013

me,my husband&my 2children age 8&18months have just came bk from this site and it was better than we thought.we stayed in the eden caravan&it was lovely,very clean.we stayed mon-fri and wish we could of stayed longer.we didnt leave the site at all.the pool was a little bit cold for my youngest but she doesnt really like pools anyway.when we went the park wasnt busy everybody had been leaving on that monday.the kids loved it the entertainment staff especially big g made it even better.make sure you fill your car up full of petrol as there is no petrol station after dumfries,when we arrived at the park our red light came on we didnt think we were going to get back but thanks to katie in reception who filled us up with a can of petrol on her way to work from dumfries we were able to drive home.would definetly go back!!

1  Thank claire g
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We have stayed here many times! We have always stayed using sun vouchers and never been given a bad/unclean caravan! Quite often up graded without requesting! (i think this depends on season and how busy it is) cant really comment on entertainment or kids club as we always try and avoid! But what we saw of entertainment staff they always seem to be working hard! Restaurant is a bit hit and miss the last time we were there we waited a long time but meals were ok when eventually arrived! Usually using the bar for drinks is fine nice and clean. Pool is really good a slide for the kids, and they work on 2 hr slots on a coloured band basis so never over crowded! They whistle you out when your 2hrs is over. Shop is always well stocked and i personally wouldn't say its over priced! The beach is huge and really clean. It is very rocky and great for pooling! Take your wellies! Southerness itself has nothing a couple of pubs I've never ventured into and a very small amusement arcade and a shop that sells shells, a chippy that is quite expensive but very tasty! There is loads to do in the area highly recommend Mabie farm park very good day out and value for money. Cream o Galloway is worth a visit and many other places we could quite easily fill up a week but definitely need a driver! All in all a lively site in a beautiful area of the country would recommend for a nice relaxing break for all ages!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just back today after a long weekend at Southerness. There were 6 adults a 9 year old and a 4 year old and we stayed in an Eden caravan in number 20 Sea View. Oh and what a sea view! Patio doors opened onto a decking area with outdoor furniture and the sea right in front of you. It was really beautiful. Had lovely weather yesterday and headed onto the beach at the lighthouse part of it. The lighthouse was an experience - 66 steps and very steep! At the top there is a lovely man who tells you some history and about the people who worked in it. The beach has lots of shells and rock pools and we had lots of fun especially finding the crabs! Make sure you visit the private park beside Parkdean it has a few wee shops and a really nice chippy. Buy a bag and eat them whilst walking down to the beach mmmm. The sea air always gives me an appetite. Back to Parkdean.... the site is quite small but has enough to do. This was our first time here and if I was ever in the position to buy a caravan then this is the site I would have it. We have visited lots of caravan parks including Haven and we all agreed Parkdean is the better with Southerness being the best site we have been at. There is no drunken parents letting their kids run riot or "neddy" types. If you have been to Craig Tara in Ayr then I'm sure you will know what I mean by this....! The kids clubs are well run through the day and I have to mention Big G who was really fantastic with the kids. My sister in law's 9 year old is usually too shy to join in but this time she did and took a liking to Big G so thanks mate you do a great job and you are very funny :) The swimming pool is very good but you are limited to 45 min sessions. I would understand this if it gets very busy but not if it is quiet - let them play as long as they want if quiet I say! The amusements well are the usual so let's skip them. There is a chippy in here which was ok but had we known about the one further down the road I would not have went back to a 2nd time. There is a restaurant which looked very nice but we did not eat here so cannot comment on it. The staff are all really pleasant and make you feel very welcome. The NISA shop is not over priced and to be honest the whole park seemed cheaper than the usual which was a nice surprise. They even had a barbeque on the Saturday which was free with outdoor games - a free barbeque - fantastic.

Book yourself a holiday here and I'm sure you will love it.

Thanks Southerness we will be booking again and look forward to seeing you soon!!

Room Tip: You can book an exact caravan here so have a look at the map and see if available - for a gorgeous c...
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Just been and camped at southerness and have to say was very surprised and happy. Stayed in a tent on there pitches,all tent pitches include elec hookup and on flat well draining area with lovely clean facilities.price is for upto 4people and includes use of facilities like swim pool which by the way is also v.good, and clean. There is plenty for kids to do with play areas an amusements. You can pay for extra things like fun and activity classes for the kids but u realy dont need to as there also plenty of shows an entertaiment going on everyday and park an play areas. Theres long sandy beaches as well as shells and little rock pools on the campsites own access beach.which if you walk eitherway you get fantastic views and lovely inns along the shore. One of which is the steamboat inn which is a brill little establishment with real fires.ale and good food. back to southerness, well the facilities were clean and hot water in the showers which had no time limit and no extra charges, dishwashing area again fantastic and clean,and value for money. To sum up a great place for family hols even tho slightly out the way being about a 15min drive from dumfries but well worth the drive for the sea views alone. And as a couples holiday place its also great and very romantic with the awesome views an soft sandy beach walks with the waves lapping. Well worth a visit and will again. Ps the service wasnt bad either contrary to other reviews id read here and also must say mark is realy helpful friendly chap who operates the tent area of park. So with or without kids its well worth the visit.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is our second visit in 2013 to Southerness and on both occasions we have had a great time, we have booked again for Easter 2014.
Very clean site, caravans and grounds well maintained. We book the same caravan which was a new caravan for 2013 (The Findhorn), located in Sea View with uninterrupted views across the Solway Firth and beside a play park and entrance to the beach. Highly recommend this caravan type.
Cannot fault the caravan, clean and has everything you need including a utility room with washing machine as well as decking with table & chairs.
The Venue entertainment area is typical of a holiday park, although the swimming pool is a good size and the children loved the flume. Needs better showers at the pool though.
The Coast Bar food is very basic and wouldn't eat there again, head 5 mins along the road to The Steamboat Inn at Carsethorn, it is excellent.
The Entertainment team work hard and are great with the kids, my 2 go for Sid & Lizzie and they never disappoint! Starlanders was good fun with Gareth, DJ Danny and Alex working very hard.
In all an excellent park for a short break (best we have been to) and will return next year, hope it is the same entertainment team!

Room Tip: Choose a caravan with Central Heating. Findhorn is a good choice, located in Seaview.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Been to Parkdean - Southerness Holiday Park? Share your experiences!