“Snowed Inn 2”

The Ellangowan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Creetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Sheila meant to mention in her review that we stayed in the hotel during the worst snowstorm in the area since 1963. The hotel staff were very welcoming and the accommodation was warm and comfortable. Several stranded motorists arrived during the evening and were very grateful for the roaring coal and log fire in the bar and the hot food. We'd booked for one night, but stayed for a second, partly to allow for the roads to be cleared of snow and abandoned vehicles, but also because we were very comfortable there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 November 2012

My husband & I stayed in Creetown at Clocktide Cottage, right opposite The Ellangowan, we have dogs so we cannot stay at the hotel. We ate here 4 out of the 5 nights we were there and the food is wonderful. We had bar meals for 3 nights and then the restaurant for a special occasion with family for one night. The portions are very generous, lasagne ~ FAB, steak pie ~ FAB, Ellangowan burger ~ FAB! The restaurant menu is more extensive and slightly dearer but well worth it. I also tried the haggis & black pudding starter and it was lovely although I would have liked a little more of the dip with that. The staff are very friendly, the food arrived quickly both bar & restaurant. I would definitely recommend this pub.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night while on our way back to the ferry. Arrived to a very warm welcome by staff and a big open fire. Had the choice of dinning in the bar or restuarant and we opted for the restarant. The food was absolutely gorgeous with very generous portions and the wine went down well too. The staff were very attentive. We stayed in room 10 which had a 4 poster bed in it. The room was large with the shower and toilet area being separate from each other. Although the room was a bit dated it was extremely clean, well maintained and very warm considering the size of it.
Again the service at breakfast was friendly and attentive. The breakfast consisted of a selection of juices, cereals, cooked breakfast, tea and toast. It was lovely and set us up for a days travel. This hotel has lots of character and we had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Auds5
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Booked here as en route to ferry at Cairnryan. Not impressed with hotel, our room had old 4 poster bed with tatty lace curtains round it. Wall paper in toilet peeling off and generally appeared in need of total re -vamp. It was clean and food OK and for one night bearable but would not want to stay loger.

Room Tip: Don't have the 4 poster one!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Due to business comittments I had to stay a couple of nights, found this thro' booking.com at a great price.

A few negative reviews on this hotel but I found it great value for money, friendly owner and a great breakfast, can't comment on the dinner as it was too late to order when I arrived.

This listed as a 2* hotel and I have stayed in many hotels and this easily surpasses some of the 3* hotels I have used on many occassions.

OK the bedroom furniture may be a bit dated but the owner ensures that the rooms are clean, tidy and serviced daily plus the hotel is 100+ years old and has plenty of character about it ... nice big coal/log fire in the bar which was a welcome sight.

I would certainly stay there again when back in the area

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Have been going to the Ellangowan for years family have a house just across the road. Other reviews have clearly had a go at the place but, this review is not about it as a place to stay more all about the quality of the food. Like all places to eat in Galloway that I have visited the Ellangowan is fantastic. Great prices and one of the best steak pies I have ever tasted. A lovely old building (again I haven't stayed in it so can't comment on previous reviewers comments).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank neil34
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We were struggleing to find a place to stay in the area 'on speck' so ended up here. We had a big room, which could have been made quite spectacular with a bit of imagination. there was none here...the carpet was dirty, there were stains on the bed spread and the funiture was a time warp from the 70's... the absolute worse thing for me was the lack of soundproofing between the rooms, or the lack of thought given when deciding where to place the bathrooms... I do not want to hear complete strangers 'peeing' in the middle of the night!!
The resturant lacked atmosphere, but the food was good.. breakfast was basic and ok, and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Been to The Ellangowan Hotel? Share your experiences!