“Hidden Treasure”

Creetown Gem Rock Museum
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Creetown
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hidden among residential housing is this fascinating museum. It may be small, but it has a wide variety of gems and minerals interesting to all. They have developed a questionnaire for children. The children following the clues were thoroughly enjoying themselves. We didn't eat here so can't mention the catering side.
I enjoyed my visit.

1  Thank cowrieshell

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I am not sure what is going on here. Its £10 (each) to get in, but even £1 would have been too expensive. It claims to be the largest private collection of its type in the UK, but is actually a rather small, eclectic jumble of different specimens collected ad hoc over the years. There is little order to the collection. Some background information, but almost no structure or overview. I left thinking that I really hadn't learnt anything. To cap it all, the shop sells "goldstone" ornaments, which are not actually minerals or gems at all (although to be fair they did reveal that in a small notice - so I did learn something). We left after about an hour, feeling cheated and wondering why we spent the money here, when we could have gone to a public museum.

7  Thank GrayMan2
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was dragged along here by my children and am so glad I was. We purchased a family ticket which was very good value. We passed a good couple of hours in the museum. The children enjoyed completing the quiz and eating cake in the cafe.
A very friendly, family run establishment. I would highly recommend.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

A really interesting couple of hours spent learning more about gems and crystals and how they were formed. My 7 year old son really enjoyed doing one of the quizzes they had to offer also. Friendly, knowledgeable staff, nice gift shop and cafe.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Spent a good few hours here over the May Bank holiday having travelled from Southerners. It's a family owned and run museum and the owner was on hand to tell you about the gem collection.
Nice tea-room as well.