“Breakfast Heaven!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Closeburn
Oxfordshire
“Breakfast Heaven!”
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We last stayed at Trigony House a couple of years ago, and on our recent visit were delighted to find that it was better than ever!
My husband and I were en route to the Scottish Highlands and Islands and the hotel's location provides a perfect stopover. However it is place to be enjoyed thoroughly, rather than just a bed (albeit a very comfortable one) for the night.
After a lovely welcome from the owners, we were shown to our room which was spacious and featured a huge bed. Lovely handmade toiletries in the smart bathroom and homemade shortbread on the dressing table were just some of the touches which can really make a difference to your stay.
The food, as before, was fantastic with an excellent choice of dishes - always welcome when you are travelling with a fussy husband! And the breakfast....well what can I say? It was probably the best breakfast we have ever eaten. Totally delicious, right down to the homemade baked beans!
Many areas of the hotel have been recently refurbished and are very stylish, but totally in keeping with the lovely old building. I would really love to have some of the furnishing accessories in my own home.
We managed a quick walk around Morton Castle (which has got to be one of the prettiest places on earth) and then began our journey North, but we were already planning our return visit.
Thank you so much for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
florida
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Frankly I am amazed at some of the reviews I have read about the food at this hotel, I arrived on the 20th for a dinner which jad been arranged by our friends, We were handed menus for bar and ala-carte and when we asked why we had been given bar menus we were promptly told that we could only eat in the bar. We ordered and were ushered into this dull uniteresting room sat down at a table that would not have been out of place in a scruffy farmers kitchen and then presented with some of the worst food we have experienced in a long time. Based on our experience tis hotel does not warrant the reviews it gets Morrisons would have put the fish and chips my friend got to shame, I guess we should have read the warning signs when my wife was asked if she would like her chicken curry [ OFF THE BONE] it turned out to be pieces of thigh and not a lot of it, and the Kedgery was awful. I would not recommend eating at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank will90
adam17, Owner at Trigony House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2010
I am sorry that this gentleman did not enjoy his meal when he dined with us on 20th August and have contacted him privately to express this, in response to his email which he sent us at the same time as posting this review.
Unfortunately he seems to have misunderstood that the intention of giving him a selection of menus, was to allow him to choose whichever dishes he preferred. All guests, whether dining in the dining room or the bar can choose from either menu, or mix and match from both according to their taste. When his dinner reservation was made by his hosts they did not specify a table in the dining room and so a table was reserved in the bar, which I regret was not to his taste.
I am equally sorry that he did not consider that his hosts meal met the standard of food that is served in Morrison’s Cafe. I can confidently assure him that our fresh, locally caught haddock and homemade chips are of a very high standard as is our homemade curry. It would seem that he found the style of curry to be disagreeable, but as the menu stated it is a Sri-Lankan dish and as such was cooked on the bone with whole spices to give maximum flavour. I would like to clarify that each portion served consists of a breast of chicken as well as a thigh, perhaps as it was served ‘off the bone’ his wife did not realise this when she was presented with her meal. Finally that he did not enjoy his own dish .
My biggest regret is that he did not feel able to raise any of his disappointments at the time. I can fully understand that as somebody’s guest he may not have felt comfortable complaining in front of his host, but as a hotelier himself I am sure he will agree that it is much easier to try and correct the situation at the time and very difficult once the event has passed. Indeed on this occasion the confusion he had over the menu could have been clarified at once. Even when the meal was served, had something been said an alternative dish would have been offered.
In conclusion I would like to apologise again to Mr Swan in public for the disappointment he experienced when dining with us. I am genuinely very sorry that his dislike of our decor and style of cooking cast such a shadow over his evening spent with family.
Austin, TX
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I stayed here for a night, booked dinner, bed and breakfast and was completely satisfied. My room, #9, had a huge bed, good bedside reading lamps, a bay window, comfortable reading chair and a large bathroom. The dinner was excellent, starting with a duck breast salad, which in itself would have sufficed for a meal, followed by rack of lamb and a blackberry cassis tart. The breakfast was equally excellent. The original welcome when I arrived was a bit lacking in warmth but the restaurant staff was attentive and friendlier. The dining room opens to a lovely garden. It was the most expensive lodging I had in my journey north from the Cotswolds to the Trossachs and Loch Lomond, but it was worth the expense as a special treat. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Travelled as part of a group celebrating a birthday party at the hotel. Staff couldn't have done more to make the stay a wonderful one.

• Stayed August 2010
Hebden Bridge
Reviewed 11 August 2010

The point of the holiday, of which this was part,, was to unwind and relax after a stressful Spring. Trigony was ideal. The hotel which is built in an Arts and Crafts style is beautiful and has been lovingly cherished by the owners. Our room was a good size with an excellent bathroom and a beautiful view over the garden. The food was excellent and varied. Breakfast was an adventure. The dinner menu was modern with locally used produce imaginatively cooked and served. I have a severe dairy allergy which was no problem for the Chef. We had not stayed in this part of the country before, it is beautiful and there are helpful guidebooks and suggestiond provided by the hotel to enhance your stay. We cannot recommend the hotel too highly

Devon Uk
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Almost like going into someones home without feeling as though you were intruding. The staff we met were all polite ,helpful, and interested in you, but not in your face. Our room was big with lots of old furniture and little personal details. Bathroom huge, sorry cannot remember room number it was at the end of the corridor.
The food was wonderful, beautifully home cooked and far from boring, we looked forward to every meal.
The gardens were lovely, we wished for better weather so we could sit out in them, I had visions of tea on the lawn, but they can't be responsible for the weather. All in all a gem

Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2010

My husband and I arrived at Trigony House to the blissful sound of silence and the wonderful aroma of home cooked food and immediately knew we were somewhere special.
The staff were very friendly, greeting us with a warm welcome and throughout our stay everyone was very polite and nothing was too much trouble.
Our room was clean, bright and airy with crisp white linen on the bed and fluffly white towels in the en-suite and a view over the well kept garden.
Breakfast and Dinner were fantastic. Our only regret is that we hadn't been staying longer so we could taste more of the home made delights and local produce.
We were perfectly situated to explore the lowlands of Scotland, visiting the stunning Drumlanrig Castle and grounds, enjoying the wildlife including the rare sighting of nesting Ospreys only a few miles away and of course the town of Dumfries is just 15 minutes away if you fancy a spot of shopping.
We can't really find anything not to like at Trigony and we are already planning to return next year with a combined trip to other parts of this amazing country.
If we have to complain about anything it would be the missed photo opportunity of a very beautiful red squirrel as it scurried along the wall at the back of the garden every morning in full view of our room........very special.

Martin & Sam Lempriere
Herefordshire

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Closeburn
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel
Blackaddie Country House Hotel
Townhead Hotel
Townhead Hotel
#1 of 7 in Lockerbie
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel
Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Trigony House Hotel? Share your experiences!