Can't help but be suspicious of the groupon reviews, however this is an honest account of our mid week break. first impressions were bad, entrance gates closed, (see pictures) eventually found another way in after negotiating a bad bend on the main road, we ended up on a dirt track with pot holes the size of Bomb Craters, We drove in past the Edinburgh Lodges (which have a six foot fence erected around them) nice view ? ( this is miles away from Edinburgh and not on a bus route) Prayed we wouldn't be put in there. Arrived at reception and waited at least 10 min before anyone arrived to greet us (thought we were the only ones in the hotel). Room was clean but in need of a fresh coat of paint some missing tiles in the bathroom it was small, but adequate (NO TV OR WIFI) sorry but this must be unusual it's 2012.There is a tv room & wifi is available here I think. We wandered to the bar (a broom cupboard under the stair) poor selection of drinks and quite pricey, the evening meal was just okay, the dining room felt cold with no atmosphere,breakfast was better with 3 other guests and an over eager member of staff clearing the tables before people had finished. I had the cornflakes Hubby had the cooked breakfast no complaints. The sunken garden is beautiful but please pick up the ciggie butts at the door and the empty glasses and crockery. Couldn't help but feel the rest of the gardens have been spoiled with (PRIVATE) signs everywhere and I mean everywhere. (see picures) There is strange white markers on the grass, we were told these were boundary pegs. We weren't sure where we were allowed to walk. Personally I go to the country to enjoy the outdoors ,if I wanted six foot enclosures and private signs I would have stayed in town. There seems to be alot of background noise (Heavy machinery and reversing peep peep peeps,) at the pond area, on further investigations we were informed this is a new recycling centre which is due to open shortly. Sadly Carberry Tower didn't do it for me it felt cold & unfriendly with no atmosphere at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate is a place of intimate grandeur. And to arrive here is to weave your own journey into a story that goes back to 1480 when our first foundation stone was laid. Since then, we have been a gathering place for Kings and Queens, Princes and Princesses and over the centuries the great and the good have also come to warm themselves by our fires and feast from our banqueting tables. And today, more strongly than ever, the banner that reigns over Carberry Tower continues to reflect the matchless values of excellence, abundance and grace - coupled together of course, with the very warmest of Scottish hospitality. Guests can dine in the Rose Garden Restaurant and enjoy a four course menu designed by Head Chef, commencing with canapes and a welcome drinks reception. Private dining for 2 or banquets can also be arranged. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carberry Tower Hotel Musselburgh
- Carberry Tower Mansion House And Estate East Lothian