The setting and grounds are magnificent and the interior of this hotel has clearly had a great deal of money spent on it in very recently. It maintains its historic atmosphere whilst at the same time has sufficient modern touches to avoid it being stuffy or too old fashioned.
The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and there are no complaints in so far as cleanliness.
The big let down was the food. On arriving we were told that the dining room shut at 20.00.
We rushed in to find a menu which was wholly uninspiring and, bearing in mind it was the hottest day of the year with temperatures hovering around 30 degrees a menu with only 3 choices including winter staples such as braised beef and vegetable soup was disappointing.
We were then told there were staff shortages and we might have to wait an hour for our food.( there was one other person in the dining room! )
We eventually ate in the bar where the fish and chips were in fact excellent.
Breakfast on both days was also disappointing. whilst again the service was good and friendly the quality of the food left a lot to be desired. The bacon was a shade of grey stuck together and looked completely undercooked and as if it had been boiled. the sausages were similarly grey and did not look as if they had seen a grill or a frying pan, scrambled egg was dry and overcooked and I am told the baked beans were cold. If the chef went for 2 weeks training at a Little Chef his ability to cook breakfast would be considerably improved.
It is a great pity that the food was such a let down as otherwise I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and use it again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate is a place of intimate grandeur. And to arrive here is to weave your own journey into a story that goes back to 1480 when our first foundation stone was laid. Since then, we have been a gathering place for Kings and Queens, Princes and Princesses and over the centuries the great and the good have also come to warm themselves by our fires and feast from our banqueting tables. And today, more strongly than ever, the banner that reigns over Carberry Tower continues to reflect the matchless values of excellence, abundance and grace - coupled together of course, with the very warmest of Scottish hospitality. Guests can dine in the Rose Garden Restaurant and enjoy a four course menu designed by Head Chef, commencing with canapes and a welcome drinks reception. Private dining for 2 or banquets can also be arranged. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carberry Tower Hotel Musselburgh
- Carberry Tower Mansion House And Estate East Lothian