Visually impressive driveway as you approach this imposing country house venue. The building itself and the expansive lawns give a fantastic first impression.
Around 5 mins from both the A68, A1 and the Edinburgh bypass this venue is well located for a variety of functions and events. There is the bonus of additional accommodation in the Lodges and a Premier Inn 5 mins down the road.
We stayed in the lodges but were fortunate enough to see in some of the rooms in the main building (around 4or 5 times the price), they like the grounds are grand and spacious in a country house sort of way, which this is, rather than a five star hotel type of room.
This is a wonderful setting for a wedding with grounds and rooms that lend themselves to being photographed, grand libraries, staircases, piano rooms,a lovely flower garden, shaded wooded areas, a reed-bed type area with wooden bridges, wide open lawns and all with a backdrop of fields and woods. What more could you want for fantastic memories of your special day?
Grumble? Yes, a couple, but none that a little attention to detail couldn't erase;
The garden outside the whisky bar could do with a weed, especially the area around the lovely little shaded seat right outside the door. There were weeds all throughout the various beds, not something you'd notice on first glance but it just takes that little edge of perfection off.
Organisation, don't call your guests through for the wedding breakfast then have them queued snaking along narrow corridors for ten minutes only for you to send them all back again saying that the meal will be another fifteen minutes - poor communication between kitchen and front of house staff that could have and should have been avoided.
The food, a delightful, lovely crisp tart for first course was followed by the most inedible beef it has been my misfortune to ever attempt to chew; by all accounts the other dish of chicken was wonderfully moist and succulent - was this the reason for the delay? Had the beef been ready but the chicken not and they'd had to keep the beef warm? Had I been eating privately rather than as a guest at a function the beef would most certainly have been returned to the kitchen, but, in the circumstances the number of plates which still had the beef remaining uneaten should have told its own story, I sincerely hope the venue apologised and gave the hosts a refund - it was that poor.
Breakfast, on the Saturday it was full table service and the food was well cooked and fresh, a really good, tasty traditional Scottish breakfast, yet on the Sunday we were informed it would be buffet style and it proved to be a major disappointment with lukewarm, greasy food and congealed eggs. It left the very unprofessional feeling that , "We've got your money now and you'll soon be on your way" .
To sum up, great location, lovely grounds, good knowledgeable staff in the bars and during most of the event. Apart from the corridor calamity the staff kept everyone informed of what was happening and where they should be. Great food, the first breakfast, the tart and the chicken. Terrible food, the beef and the Sunday breakfast.
Sort out the little details and people will be queuing up to get married here for many years to come. Get blasé and the booking will soon fall, which would be a crying shame as this place, potentially has it all!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate is a place of intimate grandeur. And to arrive here is to weave your own journey into a story that goes back to 1480 when our first foundation stone was laid. Since then, we have been a gathering place for Kings and Queens, Princes and Princesses and over the centuries the great and the good have also come to warm themselves by our fires and feast from our banqueting tables. And today, more strongly than ever, the banner that reigns over Carberry Tower continues to reflect the matchless values of excellence, abundance and grace - coupled together of course, with the very warmest of Scottish hospitality. Guests can dine in the Rose Garden Restaurant and enjoy a four course menu designed by Head Chef, commencing with canapes and a welcome drinks reception. Private dining for 2 or banquets can also be arranged. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotel.de and Hotels.com so you can book your Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carberry Tower Hotel Musselburgh
- Carberry Tower Mansion House And Estate East Lothian