Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate
Dalhousie Castle(Bonnyrigg)
  • Restaurant
Prestonfield(Edinburgh)
View Hotel
All reviewsbeautiful hotelcarberry towerhaggisfull scottish breakfastlovely roomthe main houseboth nightscooked breakfastlong drivetwo night staystayed for one nightpark and ridesmall roomfrom start to finishafternoon teawell worth a visitmusic room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I have stayed here twice in the last month. The staff are very friendly and the accommodation in the hotel is generally good although don't take a single bed as they are very uncomfortable and cheap, the double bed that I stayed in was very good. The buffet breakfast had flies all over it on my first visit so I pointed it out to the new general manager. Sadly nothing had changed for this visit it was still exposed and fly ridden. They are now charging extra for a hot breakfast. It is not up to the standard of Ackergill it's sister venue. It could do with Jackie the manager from there working her magic on it as it could be outstanding. They do not have modern facilities like a coffee machine but they do have tea making facilities in the rooms.
It is in a lovely quiet location for those of you who want to be near the centre without the hustle and bustle as it is very near to the ring road and A1.

Room Tip: Overlooking the rosé garden.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2013

this is a very romantic hotel, with stained glass windows, a suit of Armour and a wild boar in the entrance. Our room was small but really beautiful and comfortable. Only the bathroom was small and so poorly laid out, it was barely usable. Our views were over the garden and walking on the grounds is a treat. We did not have dinner at the hotel, as breakfast was a bit of a shambles with one waitress trying to crisis manage a whole room full of guests. There was some help floating around, but it seems it was all on her. The next day breakfast ran more smoothly. In spite of this I would recommend this charming and beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T347A
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Carberry Tower is a beautiful castle hotel with lovely grounds. Although a bit pricey for the small room that I had, I enjoyed the ambiance of the experience. But it was lovely as I only planned to sleep in my room so that I could enjoy as much of Scotland and the locations as possible. The high tea was great, and the dinner was nice. If you want to experience a castle hotel, this is a good choice just south of Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Allie P
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Firstly for £135 my single room was tiny, couldnt fine remote for tv, no powerpoint near mirror (although this was rectified by providing a mirror) but clean, basic and newly renovated.

The "Dining Experience" was exactly that........ an experience never to be repeated. The staff desperately need direction & training. Two choices for each course, pork belly or salmon for main, not very inspiring and not wanting to eat "fat" I chose the salmon which was ok and something I could have anywhere and possibly cook better myself. We chose the menu without wine but our one of our companions chose the menu with wine, firstly she had to ask and was never given any more than 1 glass!! We had to pour our own wine for the duration of the meal. Coffee (which was bitter) and petit fours came without the petit fours.

If you are selling this as a Dining Experience then make it one to remember but for the right reasons.

Breakfast was a farce!! We had to clear and set up our own table after waiting, others waiting a long time, no-one was turning over dirty tables.

Yes this hotel looks stunning from the outside and I am sure if you pay a premium for the suites they are lovely to stay in but as soon as you walk in the door it goes down hill fast.

I would never recommend anyone staying here nor would I ever set foot in again and I have stayed at many many hotels.

Room Tip: Dont bother. I am not a complaining person but this took the biscuit.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue A
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I visited this hotel for two nights as a wedding guest. The previous reviewer must have been there on an off day. I found the rooms comparable in standard to Gleneagles, the standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel was exemplary and the food was even better. I had beef as the main course and it was mouth-wateringly delicious. Nothing was too much for the staff. This is a "country house" hotel and should not be compared to the international chains which offer a completely different service.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family