“Expectations not met”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Sadly we were a bit disappointed by a recent evening meal here. The location and building as well as nice interior promise so much and given the abundance of wonderful local produce in the area we had hoped that we would be given some. I'm not sure we were.
My husband had a burger (apparently 100% prime Scottish beef) which we strongly suspect was from a pack of frozen ones - it certainly looked and tasted that way and was rather dense and tough - certainly not homemade, even if it was Scottish.
I had a steak (again apparently Scotch Beef) which was lacking in flavour and hardly even pink even though I had asked for medium rare.
Not using and promoting quality local produce is a massive opportunity missed here, especially with such strong local competition. I think next time we shall be dining over the road.
I read another review which described the food as acceptable. That's the word I'd use. And with so many great pubs within easy reach I don't think that really cuts the mustard!

5  Thank MrsTEastLothian

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The food in this restaurant is acceptable but nothing special. I ordered pasta and the sauce was watery and quite tasteless. The whole restaurant and bar has a funny musty smell to it. The restaurant is decorated with many Italian items which seem out of place in such an old building. The service was good but one of the waitresses seemed to spend a lot of time on the phone to friends which was very off putting.

4  Thank lindam264
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We have just had Sunday lunch here. Didn't book. It was busy in a good way - a bit of atmosphere but not stressy.
My husband and both children had the roast beef and it was fantastic and they did a small portion for the girls and only charged us for one main and it was more than half each! I had delicious steak pie. Lovely bakewell tart for dessert.
Just what we want from a pub meal - freshly cooked (I presume) but something that everyone liked and there were lots of other things on the menu that we liked the sound of - fish pie, pasta, lasagne, chicken etc etc - but not too much.

1  Thank Katherine L
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Booked table for three on a Sunday (advisable). The service from start to finish was excellent with a warm and friendly greeting. The menu is varied, and on this occasion included their Xmas menu as an option, The food was delivered fresh and hot. All three dishes were very tasty and well cooked. The battered haddock was really beautifully cooked with a light crunchy batter. It was served with chips, salad and a dish of tartare sauce. The steak pie was served with a choice of mash, roast or boiled potatoes and mixed veg. The salmon and pesto spaghetti was excellent with a liberal sprinkle of parmesan if required. The whole inn has a lovely ambience which adds to the dining experience. Will certainly be back.

1  Thank flembo69
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We walked across the street after enjoying Dirleton Castle, not knowing what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. The bar, bistro, restaurant was very well kept, clean and pleasant, not the frumpy local pub which requires a different appreciation. We had the Sunday special Scottish Angus prime rib, complete with horseradish of course. It was perfectly medium rare. The staff was pleasant and courteous and the patrons local. We were made to feel that we were in someone's home. We will definitely go back.