“Disappointing”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Edinburgh
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having reserved a table, and looking forward to a lovely meal, we were met with reluctant staff, who found every request too much trouble. For example, I asked for a soda water with a squeeze of fresh lime, which 'we don't do, do you want a slice of lemon?' was the reply. They actually did provide the lime, but this was an example of the attitude.
Next, the food order. When questioned about an item on the menu we were told ' i have no idea what that is! Someone asked me about that yesterday, and I still have no clue' ...I mean really??
Then the meal, I ordered a crab and prawn gratin - a dish supposedly topped with a browned crust.....what appeared was a gloopy macaroni cheese sauce, probably from a packet, with some prawns floating in it, and two minute flakes of crab, no gratin, just a few flecks of grated cheese on the top, ..it was like eating baby food! disgusting. to be fair everyone else liked their starters, which were parma ham with diced melon scattered atop, sadly lacking in presentation, and a mediocre caesar's salad.
Then the main course, I selected a 10 oz lamb steak, which was thin, dry and tough,
flavourless and basically an insult . I then had to request the correct steak knife to cut this piece of shoe leather. Our onion rings and other side order had been forgotten so arrived late, and every request required prompting, like wine list, water, a straw, My daughter ended up going to the bar for her glass of wine because the staff were busy chatting and cleaning up teaspoons for the next day!
We were only asked if everything was ok, after we had paid. We didn't make a scene, as we didnt want to spoil our own occasion, but it was very very poor service, poor food and chilly ambience, The wine was excellent.

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank edinalass

north yorkshire
“Dull”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I went to the Castle Inn & Bisrto for a meal because it looked lovely from the outside. But on entering the pub there was no atmosphere the bar people were not friendly at all , I asked if the resturant was open the reply was it's closed but you can eat in the bar or bistro ok.The food we ordered was ok at the best, I had fish pie and my husband had steak and frozen chips!!!! It was expensive so I expected a little better plus a lot better service....... The only thing I can say nice about this place was it had a nice beer garden.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank suzzieNorthYorkshire
Lancashire
“Always excellent”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Castle never fails to impress. We sat outside in the sunny beer garden and dined on some really fine food. The staff are always great and helpful. Also the Inn is set in one if the prettiest villages in East Lothian.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank HappiholzLancashire
Edinburgh
“Expectations not met”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Sadly we were a bit disappointed by a recent evening meal here. The location and building as well as nice interior promise so much and given the abundance of wonderful local produce in the area we had hoped that we would be given some. I'm not sure we were.
My husband had a burger (apparently 100% prime Scottish beef) which we strongly suspect was from a pack of frozen ones - it certainly looked and tasted that way and was rather dense and tough - certainly not homemade, even if it was Scottish.
I had a steak (again apparently Scotch Beef) which was lacking in flavour and hardly even pink even though I had asked for medium rare.
Not using and promoting quality local produce is a massive opportunity missed here, especially with such strong local competition. I think next time we shall be dining over the road.
I read another review which described the food as acceptable. That's the word I'd use. And with so many great pubs within easy reach I don't think that really cuts the mustard!

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank MrsTEastLothian
North Berwick, United Kingdom
“Fine but not great”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The food in this restaurant is acceptable but nothing special. I ordered pasta and the sauce was watery and quite tasteless. The whole restaurant and bar has a funny musty smell to it. The restaurant is decorated with many Italian items which seem out of place in such an old building. The service was good but one of the waitresses seemed to spend a lot of time on the phone to friends which was very off putting.

• Visited February 2014