“Amazing”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just got home from having a nice run through east lothian. Stopping at the castle inn for lunch. Having ate in many places in the area I have to say this is in the top two. The service and food was nothing short of exceptional...!! Thank you keep up the good work.

1  Thank Wendy T

Reviewed 5 July 2014

A nice little pub in a lovely country village. Like previous reviews it is very hard to get the attention of the waiting staff, they seem to like chatting to each other behind the bar. Having worked in the catering trade we were a little shocked to see one of the staff remove a pen from their hair to take an order, how un hygienic is that? . The food when we received it was of a good standard and I would say value for money only let down by the service which seems to be a common trend for the castle inn

1  Thank paul m
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The bar was empty when we went in but we were welcomed with a very chatty, friendly young lady. We went out into the beer garden which to be honest was a large patio area with a raised grass bit with one picnic bench on it.

The patio/yard was enclosed so safe for our dog. The young lady provided some water for him.

We ordered and did not have to wait too long for our food, which was well presented and very tasty. The price was not too bad and to be honest the only thing I could mark it down on was the atmosphere. It might have been different when it gets busy.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Not sure again. The building is lovely in a beautiful, scenic village. The bar is a pleasant place to have lunch. The food is good and well presented. All that is as before. This time, the owner wasn't there and that might have accounted for the service being less than the best. It was hard to get attention and there seemed to be so many staff, they spent time chatting at the bar. We spent ages trying to get the bill. Still has great potential but needs a better front of house.

2  Thank DaoHaddington
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having reserved a table, and looking forward to a lovely meal, we were met with reluctant staff, who found every request too much trouble. For example, I asked for a soda water with a squeeze of fresh lime, which 'we don't do, do you want a slice of lemon?' was the reply. They actually did provide the lime, but this was an example of the attitude.
Next, the food order. When questioned about an item on the menu we were told ' i have no idea what that is! Someone asked me about that yesterday, and I still have no clue' ...I mean really??
Then the meal, I ordered a crab and prawn gratin - a dish supposedly topped with a browned crust.....what appeared was a gloopy macaroni cheese sauce, probably from a packet, with some prawns floating in it, and two minute flakes of crab, no gratin, just a few flecks of grated cheese on the top, ..it was like eating baby food! disgusting. to be fair everyone else liked their starters, which were parma ham with diced melon scattered atop, sadly lacking in presentation, and a mediocre caesar's salad.
Then the main course, I selected a 10 oz lamb steak, which was thin, dry and tough,
flavourless and basically an insult . I then had to request the correct steak knife to cut this piece of shoe leather. Our onion rings and other side order had been forgotten so arrived late, and every request required prompting, like wine list, water, a straw, My daughter ended up going to the bar for her glass of wine because the staff were busy chatting and cleaning up teaspoons for the next day!
We were only asked if everything was ok, after we had paid. We didn't make a scene, as we didnt want to spoil our own occasion, but it was very very poor service, poor food and chilly ambience, The wine was excellent.

5  Thank edinalass