“Okay for a passing drink but not for a big night out”
Review of Clark & Sons - CLOSED

Clark & Sons
Cuisines: Central European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Firstly I should stress that I did not eat a meal in Clark and Sons so my review is purely based on the bar service it provides. As a local inhabitant of Clarkston I have used Clark and Son in the past though not a 'regular' I have visited it on sufficient occasions to notice any differences in service and amenities. Firstly the service was adequate on a quietish Sunday night and the drink (lager) was good and although a little expensive it is probably the 'going rate' for a bar/restaurant in the area. There are plenty of comfortable seats in the bar area which serve couples, groups and individuals. The gents toilet area was my one area of concern. It has gone from being tastefully decorated, very clean and nice touches (scented hand washes) into being looking tired and run down (hand washes pulled from the walls, paint cracking, dirty, toilet cubicles which do not lock properly and feel read to fall down) inside the space of a year. Perhaps I visited the establishment just after a major rammy had occurred, however I feel that the toilet area has been largely underinvested in and no longer compliments the very stylish restaurant and bar areas as well as it once did. That said it certainly serves a purpose as a decent if slightly sterile watering hole, I understand that the food is good so some time in the future we will certainly give it a try.

1  Thank daveyboyGlasgow

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I just don't know what to make of this place. The decor is very tasteful, but the food and service is very hit and miss.

We decided to pop in for a quick lunch, and after our last meal a few months ago we expected it to be good. OK it was only for the soup and sandwich deal. However they only had one filling: tuna, we're both vegetarian so we asked if they could do a veggie friendly filling; no they couldn't (seriously? Cheese n pickle or relish is too much of a stretch?). So we ordered the Parmesan, white onion and thyme soup - the one they told us was on the menu - chips and chilli corn on the cob. What we got was tepid tomato soup (eh?) Followed by bog standard frozen chips and if there was chilli on the cob they must have waved it over it, because I couldn't taste any.

The barman was very helpful but I got the impression the manager who he had to route everything through just could not be bothered.

What's disappointing is the two previous times we ate there it was lovely food, the staff were really helpful and they accommodated our dietary requirements. So the best thing about our visit today? Well that would be the lovely pastries we bought in a supermarket outside.

1  Thank gothomson T
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Went here last night with the family and as a local restaurant which caters for children serving reasonably priced average food it is okay. The interior of the restaurant is bright, spacious and contemporary but the food is only average and not very warm. The worst thing about this place though is the service which is awful. On the positive side it is child friendly and reasonably priced.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

There were a few things that could have taken the edge off of our evening, such as the inexplicable change of my online booking from a week earlier, from 8pm to 10pm via email 40 mins before we were due to dine or being ignored for ages when we wanted to order after initially declining 5 mins after being seated. The food was fine and I would happily go back. We were advised to play it safe and don't choose anything too clever, so we had nachos to share between 3 of us to start, which were fine and I had a burger to follow. No complaints with what I had to eat and we were clearly enjoying the company as were eventually asked to leave our table as we were the last people in the restaurant!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Came here after I heard a while back that it was a decent place.
But it turned out to be terrible.
Poor service throughout, right from the moment of entering the door. Food was sub-par, and for a meal so mediocre the value for money was shockingly bad.
Unless it turns around I don't see this establishment lasting too long considering the patronage of this town.