“wonderful day at my daughter's christening”

Carnbooth House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Clarkston B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“wonderful day at my daughter's christening”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I booked the Carnbooth House for my daughters christening (2nd Feb) and it was a brilliant day. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and attended to any needs my self and guests had. Alan, our bar man, was well trained and kept my guest entertained and happy with his service. I had a party of 45+ guests and there was one main server called Lee, who stayed on the ball with clearing the tables and bringing out the next courses. I was very pleased with the service throught the event as it was a special day for my daughter! I would recommend the Carnbooth House to evryone, no matter the occasion , they are only too happy to help cater for you.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Jenny H, Front Office Manager at Carnbooth House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Hi Kimberly
Thank you for your kind words.
We love helping people celebrate and plan their special occasions. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.
from all at Carnbooth.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Kent,
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an event at this hotel and it all seemed very disorganised. There was a long wait at the bar with one person serving whilst other staff loitered in the reception area doing nothing. The food was long overdue being served and the staff not that polite. This experience was shared by fellow guests on the day.

I think it could be nice, the managers need to tighten things up a bit.

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Needmoreholdiays!
Jenny H, Front Office Manager at Carnbooth House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience, good or bad we like to hear about peoples experiences.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your review and assure you that our staff training program is ongoing,

I would be very grateful if you would take the time to contact me vie jhilton@carnboothhouse.com so as i can gain a better understanding of your experience.

Kind regards

Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We went here for a wedding and I must admit before the wedding I had never heard of the place, but on approach in the taxi the house looked really nice. The hotel only has a few rooms so we thought the whole hotel was booked out by the wedding party, however, there were a few random guests strolling around the hotel looking slightly out of place amongst us wedding guests. The bar near the entrance to the house was quite small and seemed a bit crammed as we waited to be invited through to the wedding service. This was performed in a large marquee and was a really nice location for a wedding. The only downside was the marquee was freezing and I heard a few guests having a moan at this throughout the day as it did not improve and only the alcohol and dancing would heat everyone up throughout the night. Dinner was really nice and the service from start to finish was excellent. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Before this we had went to another bar near the rear of the house and this was bigger than the bar at the front, but only had one girl serving and despite being friendly she surely wasn't properly trained. The lagers served were fit only for a flake to be added and at nearly £5 each you expect better. They also ran out of wine glasses and when ordering a large wine I felt as if I was causing the girl some hassle and believe she commented 'not another wine'. More staff would have prevented this. Between stages I feel guests were slightly crammed like sardines in a tin, but overall a really nice location for a wedding and I wouldn't let small niggles put anyone off. Whilst we were waiting for the marquee being prepared for the night time entertained we were in reception at the front and staff members passed us with food a few times and this looked really nice. Overall everyone seemed to enjoy theirselves as everything went smoothly! There was a lot of waiting around, but this tends to be a theme at weddings I find.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

We are delighted that you enjoyed the wedding you attended recently at our venue and took the time to post a review
You would be correct in assuming that for the majority of weddings all eight of our unique bedroom suites are booked out to wedding guests however we are a fully functioning hotel and as such our restaurant remains open to the public during lunch and our private dining room is often booked for private functions in the evening. This has no impact on any wedding taking place within the hotel.

Our marquee is fully heated, with hot air heaters and on occasion we do turn the heaters down so as to minimize any noise interference during ceremonies, following the ceremony and turn around times the heating is returned to a higher setting. I apologise If on this occasion you felt it was an uncomfortable temperature and i will ensure this is something that is looked into in further depth.

I am glad you have brought the number of bar staff to my attention and can assure you this is not normal practice. Unfortunately we have been experiencing technical difficulties with our bear lines in our brasserie bar and this is being dealt with as a matter of urgency.

We do encourage wedding guests to enjoy the various areas throughout the house during turn around times in the marquee and i feel this may not have been properly expressed during your visit, guests feeling 'crammed' anywhere is not acceptable, ensuring guests are aware of all available areas within the house will be addressed through our ongoing staff training program.

If you would like to discuss any aspect of your visit further i would lo be happy to hear form you via jhilton@carnboothhouse.com.

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I regularly visit here for coffee meets with friends and today had lunch with 2 other friends. Over priced soup and sandwich which was very poor quality. The food took forever to come even though it was quiet. Doubt if I will return given this experience.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Gordonm2

It saddens me that you failed to enjoy your experience at Carnbooth and would be very interested to learn more about your experience, We strive to ensure all our guests enjoy their visit to our unique venue and it would appear our standards were not met during your visit. i would be very grateful if you would take the time to contact me via jhilton@carnboothhouse.com so as i can look into the matter further.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I came over from Toronto to attend a wedding.We booked in for two nights.We were well received at the reception.Our room was in excellent condition.Problem with T.V. which was fixxed within mins.Lunch menu had a good variety and we chose the club sandwich and a pot of coffee.If we had known how big the sandwich and fries were,we could have shared it between us!
The service was first class and also the timing.Breakfast both mornings had everything you could ask for and, again,the service was faultless.the staff were friendly and efficient and were always available when needed.My wife and I have travelled world wide over the years and,I must say our "Carnbooth" experience is "up there" with the best of them.I would certainly recommend this hotel without any hesitation. Thanks to Mark on reception, Chris at the bar and special thanks to Andrew who made our stay even more memorable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David W
Reviewed 18 February 2014

A much looked-forward-to visit to our local Carbooth hotel resulted in a disappointing Sunday afternoon. On arrival, there were a number of cigarette butts and two empty cigarette packets littering the doorway.

We were shown to our table, which was lovely, with only one other table was occupied in the room. Our starters took half an hour to arrive, two of which were (intentionally) cold. There was no explanation for the delay. Several members of staff could be seen standing around idle.

Between courses I went to the toilet to find a broken toilet seat and broken tap. On my way back, our dirty starter plates were lying on a tray in the hallway outside the restaurant, even although two staff members were seated close by. Our bread plates were not cleared throughout the duration of our meal. Emptied glasses also remained even although additional drinks were served.

The food was of good quality and flavour but pricey.

An error was made with the bill, where 7 starters had been charged for the four of us. When paying the amended bill I was asked if everything had been ok. I mentioned the bad impression we were given on arrival with the litter around the doorway (as well as the broken toilet seat and tap), commenting that we had been disappointed on a number of fronts during our visit. The member of staff explained that there had been a wedding on the night before and seemed to think that this was reasonable justification for the lack of cleanliness and attention to detail. We arrived at 2pm in the afternoon so why no-one has cleared this up is baffling. How staff could step over this litter en route to begin their shift is even more startling.

When leaving, a walk over to the wooded area behind the hotel led us to find around 100 large bones, many of which looked like thigh and hip bones. A very strange sight indeed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank em_mcc76
James H, Front Office Manager at Carnbooth House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014

I am extremely disappointed that we have, on this occasion not lived up to your expectations. We work very hard to maintain our reputation and as such it pains me to hear we have not lived up to our own high standards.

I have spoken with the manager on duty at the time of your visit and we as a team have put measures in place to ensure such circumstances are not repeated.

While our staff training program is ongoing you have, highlighted areas which clearly need revisiting and i can assure you this will be done promptly and will encompass all members of staff.

We host many weddings at Carnbooth and this should under no circumstance be used as an excuse for a lack of attention to detail on our part.

If you would like to discuss your visit further i would be happy to hear from you at jhilton@carnboothhouse.com.
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My husband,daughter and I decided to celebrate my 50th Birthday here on Christmas Day.We had a lovely experience.I had previously dined here and enjoyed the food very much and booked a table for Christmas lunch.Our four course meal was very good value.The turkey dinner was generous and our starters and sweets were of a very high standard.The waiting staff were all very young,charming and had obviously been trained well.A lovely setting and a festive atmosphere.I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Heather m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarkston
Busby Hotel
Redhurst Hotel
#50 of 93 in Glasgow
Holiday Inn East Kilbride
#6 of 7 in East Kilbride

Been to Carnbooth House Hotel? Share your experiences!