“Worth a visit”

East Pier Smokehouse
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in St Monans
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This smoke house serves freshly caught and freshly smoked fish for lunches. Absolutely delicious! OPEN SEASONALLY. MAY opening Wednesday - Sunday 11 - 5pm. JUNE, JULY & AUGUST open every day with late opening on Friday & Saturday until 9pm. We DO NOT TAKE BOOKINGS just come on down.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Interesting food served in very popular restaurant. Can be a little chaotic but this adds to the fun.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Had lunch yesterday and went back again today as it was lovely. Nice views on the rooftop terrace and lovely staff who couldn't be more helpful. Worth a visit.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The East Pier Smokerie and Restaurant in the wee village of St Monans, Fife, is as close to the sea as you can get without actually paddling. It’s right on the harbour but if you didn’t know it was an eating place you might take it for a misshaped collection of industrial portacabins. The ground level is a long low series of sections with lots of doors and contains the smokerie, the shop, a door for the toilet (unusually accessed by coming downstairs out of the building and going in a different door!) and a door that takes you to the upper section. The upper section extends only part of the way, with the first section covered as the sit down restaurant and the rest extending in the open but with chairs and tables. If you want to sit down in the restaurant this all means it’s not very accessible for anyone with mobility issues as you ave to go up a fairly narrow stairway.

Somewhat unusually it’s you can only book for dinner on Friday and Saturday - the rest of the time you buy your meal from the shop section, get it in cardboard boxes,and then can sit outside on the pier or take it upstairs and sit there.

Having worked your way round these somewhat eccentric arrangements you’re now ready to sample the food. And it’s certainly worthwhile! The menu has five starters, five mains and three puddings. Most of the starters and mains are seafood and smoked and the choice includes langoustines , scallops, lobster and so on.

I had the alder smoked scallops while my dining companion chose the crab cake. I’ve always liked scallops because of the way you get the smell and taste of the sea when you bite. In this case it’s a different taste - they’ve been smoked - but is wonderfully different, with the smoked garlic butter adding to the experience. My partner’s crab cake was slightly spicy and the accompanying sauce was just perfect. I would have stolen more if she hadn’t been on her guard.

My main was a whole smoked sea bass, stuffed with rosemary and served with a slightly sweet chutney. It was a new taste to me and formed a substantial dish which I really enjoyed. The other main we tried was the Smoked Fish Tagine with Couscous. This mixture of smoked salmon, haddock and mussels in a well balanced sauce was indeed a huge serving and probably could have done for both of us.

The puddings were simple but delicious - I had a Pavlova with mango and passion fruit which was a delightful combination of sweet and sharp while my partner’s Creme Brulee was pronounced one of the best she’s had.

One thing to mention is that the mains in particular are served very simply. My sea bass had the fish, a large pile of green salad and chips and this was the norm. So don’t expect fancy accompaniments or sauces.

So far so good but there’s ever better news to come because our entire bill for three courses each plus some drinks was £62.25! Having recently eaten out in London I’d guess that down there you’d pay that for the mains alone. And don’t forget that could have included lobster and langoustine! There was one final quirk when the bill came as it hadn’t been totalled! Fortunately my mental arithmetic skills hadn’t been completely lost and our waiter, perhaps slightly more arithmetically challenged was happy to accept my best guess.

So if you like seafood, enjoy it smoked and accept the idea that you’re going to have a simple eating experience that focusses on the taste of the food rather than anything else then this is for you. We’ll certainly be back but be warned - it’s seasonal and will probably close around November and you can only book dinner on Fridays and Saturdays.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had lunch on 8th July. Because it had just stopped raining when we got there we chose to stay indoors rather than selecting a table on the fabulous 1st floor terrace. Its difficult to define the style of this eaterie; its a bit of a mix of self service/canteen and traditional waited tables. What is not in dispute is the quality of the small bill of fare. We shared a box of langoustines to start and followed with smoked whole mackerel and my other half can't remember what he had! The Picpoul was chilled perfectly. All of it was good!!

1  Thank skyecorrina
Reviewed 28 July 2014

It truly is a hidden gem. Eight of us had dinner here including two kids. The evening was wonderful and so was the food. They looked after the children also very well. All the food was fantastic. The place was buzzing and we had a great time. We couldn't sit outside as it rained and was a bit too cool for us.