Loch Ness Clansman Hotel
Loch Ness Lodge(Abriachan)
US$280
TripAdvisor
All reviewsloch nessbalcony roomjacobite cruisesvenisonmain roadroad noisecobbsunderpassdrumnadrochitscotlandcastlewee
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Enjoyed our stay here we booked a room with a balcony sadly couldnt get using it as the weather was unreal, room was fine quite small but adequate bathroom no bath just a shower and when you flush the toilet it makes a racket as they have a shredder or something attached to it, we had dinner in the restaurant it was lovely we sat looking over Loch ness and it was thunder and lightning the power in the hotel went out and wasd backed up with a generator but it wasnt a problem.Receptionist was a lovely lady and most helpful in the hotel is a gift shop quite a good size gift shop and in there is a coffee shop the hotel is approx 12 miles from inverness if i was ever in the area again i would def stay at this hotel. Breakfast following morning was fine really enjoyed and i think the haggis on the cooked breakfast a nice touch thanks again for a lovely stay

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I loved everything about this hotel: the incredible view of Loch Ness from the dining room, the helpful and pleasant staff, the comfy guest room, and the charming atmosphere. The décor of the common areas—the green/blue plaid carpet, elegant furnishings, and the clan shields—screams “You’re in Scotland.”

I stayed in a woodland view room, which was more than adequate for my needs. I had plenty of space, the fixtures and decor looked recently updated, and wifi was complimentary. The housekeeping staff kept everything nice and clean—despite the fact they had to clean around my strewn out belongings.

I was pleasantly surprised with the breakfast and cheerful wait-staff. The expansive menu is much more than I am—and probably other Americans are—used to when breakfast is included with the room rate. And eating breakfast while looking out over Loch Ness was priceless.

As for the staff, everyone went out of their way to help me. Molly provided excellent service when I ate dinner in the dining room, and again, the breakfast servers (whose names I didn't catch) were great. Garry answered all of my questions in detail, provided me with useful information about the area—including an amazing, but grueling, run on a trail toward Drumnadrochit—and took time, when he didn't have to, to make me a sandwich late one night when they were busy closing down the bar. Rory went above and beyond when I had a few issues with my rental car.

I don’t think I could have had a better hotel experience while touring the Highlands. When I booked the room online, I thought the price was too good to be true—I even verified the rate at check-in. Everything about this hotel is first rate.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank kvincent718
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed in the Clansman for one night with my Mother. We arrived late but they were more than accomdating with our dinner in Cobbs resteraunt which was delicious. The rooms were comfortable, warm and clean. We had rooms in the back of the hotel so we had no loch view but since we arrived late and were leaving first thing in the morning it didn't make much difference. The breakfast was substantial with a good choice. We weren't hurried at any time and a lovely stay was had by both. There was plenty of parking spaces available in the carpark.

On an additional note, my sympathies go out the manager who being harrassed at breakfast by a couple of guests who seem to have thought that the hotel had somehow broken their laptops. He dealt with their problems in a calm and professional manner and eventually they realised it was their adaptors and not the hotels fault! I don't think I could have been as patient as he was.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Our en-suite bedroom and veranda over looking Loch Ness was priceless, eating your dinner in the upstairs restaurant again looking over Loch Ness was the perfect picture. The hotel has an adapted wheelchair lift (the one were you hold the button) which is so good as there is no restrication for the public to experience the above

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I feel a wee bit bad leaving this review, as when I read the others they are all glowing, so I am a bit confused. We arrived later than the 8 o'clock we had planned to be told, "You were due at 8!"
We booked having looked at a photo of the hotel which didn't show the 'annexe' to which we were directed . This was separate from the hotel and accessed along a very uneven row of paving slabs at high level which would be unsafe and unsuitable for elderly or infirm. Visiting the bar and going for breakfast was a challenge due to overgrown bushes along the patio seating area. Any resident in a bedroom facing onto the patio had the annexe visitors passing right in front of their bedroom windows.The bedroom I must say was lovely - but extremely small and we faced an almost vertical wall of soil. Bar had one bottle of pear cider only!!
Breakfast was wonderful and the mature lady serving it was warm and welcoming.
Yes, we got a 'good' last minute deal on 'late rooms' but wonder if this is why we were located in the annexe / shed?

Room Tip: Make sure you are not booking the annexe or the bedrooms facing onto the patio! Arrive on time to avoid a frown!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank carole n N
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

I thank you for your review, and apologise for what was said to you on your arrival - This certainly is not the way our staff are trained to greet guests on arrival. As you saw from previous reviews left, the majority of them are glowing, I believe one comment left was that the service that the couple had received was by far the best from there travels around Europe. From your comments I have taken the time to speak to all members of staff that deal with chick in's and have highlighted how important the highland greeting is.

I am sure you can understand that we are a very busy hotel as we are the only hotel on Loch Ness side and with our fabulous views from all public areas and half of the bedrooms the hotel fills up very quickly. We do have 4 rooms in what we call the lodge building, which as you are aware is approx 20 meter's from the main hotel. We need to use these rooms from approx May through to October, as the main hotel rooms fill up very quickly. It is on a first come first served bassis, so if all of the standard rooms are full in the main building you would then be allocated a lodge room. I must agree with you, the rooms are very nice however a little on the small side and as you mentioned they dont have a view. With this said on this particular occasion, these points were reflected in the room rate of £60 B&B for two people that you received, and if there were lochview rooms available I am sure you could have upgraded to one at a price, all you would need to do is speak with one of our reception team.

We do have 4 loch view rooms that are on the same level as the patio, and we try our hardest not to encourage people to use this path as it is actually easier and quicker to use the main entrance.

As the room was booked through an online travel agent we were unable to tell you what room you would be booked into, if the booking was made direct with the hotel this would have been mentioned at the time of booking. We class these lodge rooms as our standard double/twin rooms. If you were to book again through an OTA I would recommend calling the hotel.

I am glad you felt you got a good deal, and I am also pleased you were happy with the breakfast service you received from Kate.

I would like to thank you for your review, and would look forward to greeting you to the Loch Ness Clansman Hotel again if you are ever in the area in the future.

Kind Regards,