“Love The Landing”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Harbour Island
delray beach, fl
“Love The Landing”
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We travel to Harbour Island on a regular basis and stay at The Landing for a couple reasons. The first is that for what we pay ($225/nt) we get an immaculate boutique family run hotel smack dab in the middle of all the action for which Harbour Island is known and loved. The second reason is charm. The Landing is a restored loyalist building dating back to the 1800's. The owners modernized around the original idiosyncrasies leaving the guests with the best of both worlds. The hotel has the same feeling as a private home. Even if you choose to stay elsewhere, don't leave HI without trying the exclusive line of Afro Head liquors available at The Landing. I was surprised by the quality of both the rum and the cabernet. Bar tenders, Kelbin (hope that's spelled correctly) & Kemo kept us entertained all night.
Yes, the main dock is across the street but watching the boats come and go from one of the hotels many balcony's is a relaxing treat. We also love the location because while staying on the ocean side is convenient and offers a spectacular backdrop during the day, at night it can be a bit windy and/or chilly and unless you're blessed with a full moon, you're staring at a black canvas. The newly added "lockable" beach bags are an extremely thoughtful touch... the first I've ever seen. Also new to The Landing since our last stay are beach chairs and umbrellas next to Sip Sip on the beautiful pink sand. Thank you! Loved this addition! Now, having said that, the reason I've given The Landing a 4/5 is simply the fact that the hotel does not offer all the amenities of a 5 star hotel. For example no turn down service, no robes or slippers, no mini bar, etc. I don't generally care about these things but I do think these extras set the standard.
As with any old structure there is always room to criticize but saying anything disparaging against The Landing would, in my opinion, be nitpicking. Can't wait to stay with you again in April!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank traveladdictjr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Washington DC
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We spent three nights at The Landing and were very pleased with our experience. Owners Tracy and Toby could not have been any nicer to us. We loved the feel of the place.

During our stay on Harbour Island, we wandered to most of the other hotels on the island, looking at rooms. Just about every place we visited was nice... but most felt like hotels. The Landing felt more like a B&B. It was the most romantic place we found. We loved our spacious, airy room. We loved the big bathroom with the chandelier and the four-poster bed with canopy. We loved having our own balcony.

For the most part, I found the service to be just fine. Tracy and Toby were great. Cindy, who cleaned our room every day, was wonderful. No one was rude, although not everyone was as friendly as the owners. We didn't mind.

We loved the location... it took 10 or so minutes to walk to the conch shacks, maybe 12 to walk to the ocean on the other side of the island. We walked to the ocean at night and lay on the beach and looked at the stars... walked back to the hotel in the dark, and did not worry in the slightest. The island felt very safe to us. Personally I liked being right next to the main dock.... it made coming and going very easy.

The Landing is expensive, but so is every other place on Harbour Island. I found it to be totally charming, and perfect for our three-night getaway. I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: When we arrived, we asked to see all of the available rooms. Tracy spent half an hour showing us al...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FortyNineCountries
Reviewed 21 August 2011

The goats cheese ravioli is sublime, the atmosphere is chic with candle-lit wood panelled rooms. Privately owned, the Landing is a fabulous place to have dinner. It is expensive but so is Harbour Island and the service should be better, but a must do if you get the chance!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Justdo
miami
Reviewed 7 July 2011

After many stays at The Landing over the past ten years,
I feel compelled once again to share how much I love this place.

I have however just read a few recent reviews and cannot understand some of the complaints, such as:
"it is expensive" or "over-priced", and "staff are rude".

First of all, Harbour Island IS expensive.
Everything is shipped over there and if you see the effort that everyone has to go to to get supplies, you would wonder why its not even more expensive!
There are no surprises when it comes to the cost of hotel rooms either, as one usually has to confirm beforehand where one is staying, therefore one knows the prices upfront.
"Over-priced" at The Landing just does not compute - as it costs less to stay there than many other places on the island.
There are no staff running around asking you ten times a day if everything is okay, or if that was the best meal you have ever eaten. I got that recently at a large hotel on Nevis, and almost checked out early because of the constant fawning- which seems so false to me. The staff at The Landing are some of the nicest Bahamians I have ever met. They are sincere and always seems to perform well from what I have observed.

The wooden floors creak in some rooms .. yes!
I love that sound. Reminds me of being in an old home and makes me feel safe and loved.

It is not on the ocean, its on the bay - and sitting on the porch having breakfast, watching the residents go about their day .. is a friendly way to start my day.

Once or twice over the years I have requested something extra and was very warmly supplied with it. No grumbling from anyone, just genuinely pleased to make me happy.

For those who like authentic experiences, in a charming environment, I think you will love this place as much as I do.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank cooklah
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2011

When we arrived at The Landing, we were very surprised to see that it was right on the dock.
Not a pretty little fishing jetty, but the island's main dock.
None the less we headed into reception... to find it locked.
We wondered around the hotel which was utterly deserted. We finaly found a kitchen porter after venturing into the staff quarters, who found us a receptionist.
We were shown to our room, the Jacaranda cottage, which was RIGHT next to the pool and on a path used for everyone else in the hotel. We had to have the curtains drawn all the time as there were so many people looking in.
We asked if there were any other rooms available as we were very disappointed. We were grumpily shown The Attic room, which was beautiful (and amazingly enough, cheaper!) and eventually we were allowed to move. When we thanked the receptionist she rolled her eyes and said that we were the least of her problems, all the guests were complete nightmares.
If you do stay here, I would reccomend the attic room, as it really is beautiful.
The pool is small and not a nice place to relax at all. The sunbeds are old and dirty and it's certainly not the sweet little place it looks in the pictures.
The restaurant is very good, the food is delicious.
The staff were exceptionally rude throughout our stay and really did spoil the atmosphere.
If I went to harbour island again, I would stay at The Dunmore. It's beautiful and the people are lovely. Failing that, Coral Sands is also gorgeous.

Room Tip: Ask for Attic Room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank R0sieR00
toxicfree, Owner at The Landing, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
I sent an owners response to this review a week ago and it has not been posted nor have I had a response from Trip Advisor.
I have tried to respond as an owner to several other reviews but nothing was posted and no one responded.
Do we have any voice at all?

Tracy
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2011

The hotel is nice, little too expensive for the room you get. Anyway, I stayed there 1 night and they charged me twice on my visa! Be careful and check your visa statement. When I called to ask for explanation and reimbursement they told me they will reimburse me (still they haven't and it has been a few days!) and they even didn't apologize for the mistake. I would not go there again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank axice78
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2011

The Landing is imperfect, but with the right expectations you will have a lovely time. It is a set of converted houses dating from the 18th and 19th centuary - a clapboard provenance that gives it the edge on some of the other island options. It is located in the town, by the waterfront, and this reflects your first choice when coming to harbour island. Do you stay in the town (west side of the island), or one of the hotels abutting the pink sand beach you are bound to be visiting regularly on the east side. It is only a 10 min walk though (less than 5 min by golf cart - the transport of choice for even the glitterati). Being in town definitely seems more sociable, and here comes The Landings greates attraction, but also it's Achilles heel.

At it's heart, The Landing is a restaurant (and bar), and the breakfast and evening social centre for the expatriate community. The food is excellent (although pricey) and dinner is an eavesdroppers delight. The staff are lovely (although it seemed to take becoming a regular to crack the ice with one or two). Toby T, the co-owner, is a great host. And sod the expense, their rum is exceptional.

However, It keeps restaurant hours! Which means if you need a drink, bite to eat, or advice between 3 and 6pm, or at odd hours, you are out of luck. Although ice is in plentiful supply, a fridge in the room would have helped (beer at the convenience store up the road is 1/3rd of the price). You can work round it, but it's a pain (particularly between 4 and 6 where the only place open is the bar at valentines harbour).

We stayed in the Buttonwood room, which is exceptionally attractive. This is plantation chic, all hardwoods and white. None of the chintz and rattan so common in the carribean. I is in the recently converted library building, and a distance from the restaurant/bar so this cannot be heard (although it is near the freezers and generator - although on power off days the whole village humms). The Landing has 3 other buildings. The main building, which seems best avoided due to noise from the restaurant, the captains house with the best views, and the cottage (which struck us as too close to the restaurant patio to be ideal).

Lastly I should address price. You need to come to harbour island with a realisation that value is a relative term - nothing is cheap. The Landing is pricey by normal standard, but actually at the lower end for harbour island. Breakfast can be dear, but my advise, if this is an issue, is to wander up to the bakery (5min away) or eat at the cafe in the same block. I must admit that with a lower price, or full service (even a fridge in room) I would have given it 4stars. It is not what they did that was wrong (nice staff, clean rooms etc) but it is a sense of frustration about what the landing could be that means it gets 3 stars (for now)!

Room Tip: Room on 2nd floor of library
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 9 in Harbour Island
The Cove Eleuthera
The Cove Eleuthera
#1 of 1 in Gregory Town

Been to The Landing? Share your experiences!