“Unique small inn experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Landing

The Landing
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Harbour Island
Toronto, Canada
“Unique small inn experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

This is my fifth or sixth visit to a beautiful inn that offers a comfortable well-decorated room, a charming bar, breakfast and dinner on a veranda that overlooks the Harbour, and a location that's in the middle of historic Dunmore Town. Having provided all of that, the Hotel leaves you alone to enjoy yourself, but staff will help when asked. Five minutes walk takes you to the famous beach, and a step outside in any direction takes you through the quiet streets of restored Colonial homes. There's a small pool in the garden for a dip after a walk, the upstairs veranda to catch the spectacular sunset.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Countryfoodie50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I am presently staying in the same room as this complaining couple. Yes there is construction next door. I was informed about it prior to my staying here.
Once inside the room, with the door is closed there is no noticeable noise (even with the drilling machine, which is yes quite loud when one leaves the room).

The Landing has, from I have known it, always been closed on Wednesdays. I do not understand the need for this complaint.mIt seems this couple did not read that fact, but the entire island is not closed on a Wednesday, and there are several other wonderful places to go and eat breakfast and dinner.

It seems that this couple wanted to gripe about everything, which is unjust and unfortunate, as the Landing is indeed a very special place to stay.

But alas (and thankfully), it is not for everyone.
Me? I love it - and will always return to this island heartbeat ...

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank cooklah
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Where to start?! From the moment I arrived (delayed due to airlines) it was perfect. Since I arrived after typical check in hours, Tina greeted me at the most wonderful bar with, "Hello Jake!". Keep in mind we have never met. I knew from this greeting that I was in the right spot. I proceeded to have the most perfect drink from Mr. King. Accommodations were right up our alley…very well appointed, no TV, no phone-exactly what I needed to escape the rat race back home. Every morning we had coffee on the second floor terrace overlooking the bay; superb way to begin the day. Breakfast was delicious, especially the Ricotta Pancakes. We had rented golf carts for the week so scooting about to the beach, dining at our favorite beach restaurant Sip Sip, sightseeing, was a breeze. Dinner at The Landing is arguably the best on the island. Superb. The chef and his line crew were brilliant in their presentation and taste. Cant say enough about the staff, ALL were wonderful and friendly. This island itself is fabulous. Quaint and cozy vibe. We cannot wait to go back!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

For $400 per night, I expect to not have a building site, with pneumatic drills, cement mixers and 15+ workmen directly outside my room. Sadly, that is exactly what my husband and I experienced. On our honeymoon. The hotel management at no one time informed us of this situation, prior to us checking in, and having taken 2 flights and a water ferry to get to the much celebrated Harbour Island, we felt incredibly disappointed and cheated. We were informed upon check in that the hotel closes on a Wednesday. Funny that this is not mentioned on their website. When I say close, I mean no breakfast or dinner, no bar, nothing. Yet my rate for that day's stay remained at $400. It was like the Overlook Hotel in The Shining. Appalling. At this point, we decided to return to Miami before heading back to London to salvage some of our time away. We headed to the 'management' office, where the co-owner was sat, surfing the Internet. We asked about the the cancellation policy, and informed her we wished to leave the next day. She NEVER asked why. She did not ask at any point if there were any issues she could assist with, was there anything she or the hotel could do to perhaps make the situation better. I am horrified that the place calls itself a hotel and still uses quotes from Conde Nast Traveller from years back to hoodwink people into staying there. Please do not stay there. The hotel is a big fish on a very very small island. Hopefully some healthy competition will encourage them to buck their ideas, but failing that, do not line these people's pockets. They do not deserve or appreciate it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TootsG
toxicfree, Owner at The Landing, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
First and foremost we are so sorry to be a part of anyone's disappointing vacation and especially a honeymoon.
We had no idea that the construction that is taking place at the property next door had caused any disturbance to our guest . We had 4 other guests in house at the time of this reservation and all of them thoroughly enjoyed their stay. We had guests in this same room who checked out on the day these guests arrived and made their reservations to return next year - again, never mentioning any disruption of their stay by the activities next door. After reading this review we have subsequently asked guests if there were any issues with the neighbouring construction and they have said no. We do however appreciate that sound/noise is very subjective.
We pride ourselves on looking after guest's needs and if there is a problem we do everything we can to rectify the situation. Had we known that they were disturbed by any activity of the neighbouring property, we would have been happy to move them to a room located in one of our other buildings away from that area. This had been the case earlier this year when a guest did have a problem with the noise of the demolition that was occurring at the same neighbouring property. He let us know, we relocated him and he had a wonderful stay. It is hard for us to assist guests if they do not let us know that they are experiencing a problem.
Our restaurant closes on Wednesdays to enable our small staff to spend time with their families. This policy has been in effect since we opened in 1996. We let our guests know this in advance of their arrival when we send out the reservation confirmation and make recommendations for them for both breakfast and dinner spots ( we do not serve lunch). We do not have any meals included in our rate thus the room rate is not affected by the restaurant closing.
We do have a cancellation policy that was not applied to these guests for their early departure. Plans can change for a multitude of reasons and unlike most hotels, we try and accommodate those changes without penalizing the guests when possible.
The Landing is not a traditional hotel and that suits some and not others. We love when the "right" guests find their niche here with us ( we have 16 years worth of wonderful and much appreciated 70% repeat clientele ) and while we would love to please everyone, experience has taught us that that is not possible.
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Nothing bad at all to say.
It was superbly run in a casual inn style.
Tina, the manager on duty when we were there, was on top of everything and extremely helpful. She had put us in three rooms in the Library building and all were well air-conditioned. While there weren't many other guests during our stay, I expect in the winter season the bar and restaurant could be nosy and the Library rooms would be preferred.
A very cheerful staff throughout
Colonial style rooms, dark wood wide-plank floors, excellent bedding with modern bathrooms though some only had showers so check if you want a bath tub.
Their pool area was small but more than adequate.
As far as the restaurant goes, it the best on the island. Top selection, well presented. They recommended that on wednesday when their staff is off all day in the summer, that we have dinner in one of the harbor side shacks and it was fine.
You won't regret a 2/3 day stay, rent a golf cart and explore the beaches.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank grwebster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Maddie and I stayed for a week in June in the Buttonwood suite. Staying at the landing has been a dream of ours for years and we certainly weren't disappointed. From the moment we arrived we had nothing but the most wonderful time with a great welcome from Dawn and all the staff, who went way above expectations in making us feel so welcome. The Landing is full of history and sitting in the bar sipping one of Mr Kings cocktails looking at the photos on the walls, we could have been back then. The food was absolutely to die for at dinner and breakfast. The service was excellent, wifi in both our suite and the bar area worked fine and at no cost. The staff were great at letting us know of places to see etc and the nearby shopping was excellent. All in all, we just want to say the biggest thank you to The Landing for making our week so memorable.
Maddie and Andrew
Australia

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndyMaddie
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

I am staying there july 22, there are 6 in our party including 3 kids and I will write an accurate report. I requested the 3 special rooms others had suggested.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 9 in Harbour Island
The Cove Eleuthera
The Cove Eleuthera
#1 of 1 in Gregory Town

Been to The Landing? Share your experiences!