Husband and I stayed for a long weekend in February for our "babymoon". We love searching for exceptional places to stay, but are in our late 20's and with moderate income, so don't have as deep pockets as the typical HI clientele. For us there is nothing more important than a fabulous place to stay, and found you can save some money other ways on HI.
Room: Stayed in the Parrot Room and loved that it is in the section behind the pool area (outside of the main house), which is much quieter and secluded. There is not a view from the room, but that didn't matter to us, and the inside decor and amenities were lovely.
Property: Easy stroll from the water taxi dock. Lovely hotel, pool area with comfortable seating options, and wonderful service. Everything is so clean and impeccably decorated which I truly appreciate! Although we were the youngest guests at the time, we were treated wonderfully by the staff and other guests. Given the occasion, we were there for a relaxing time and had the perfect amount of socialization with the staff and other guests (definitely many returning guests!). The bar area was vibrant at night if you are interested in the social scene. The gym was well kept and cool.
Beach: We visited on an unseasonably cold weekend, but still enjoyed the pool and beach. Given we were only there for a long weekend and budget conscious, we opted to walk to the beach. If I can do it 5 months prego and in moderate shape, you can too! It was about a 10 min walk with moderate hills. I would splurge for a golf cart at least one day to travel the island. The beach bag they give you with water and towels is a nice touch, and chairs set-up on the beach were great. The beach is just beautiful.
Food: We were prepared for the high prices, but you swallow the cost easier given the wonderful food. Rock House was truly amazing for dinner. The complimentary breakfast was just adequate with fruit, yogurt, breads, etc. Lunch and drinks...per my husband :)..were also great. We also enjoyed meals at The Landing right next door and the Dunmore (you can walk here if you are up for essentially the walk to the beach...recommend only if light out). We dined at Aquapazza and thought it was marginal, but I know many seem to love it - this is definitely a cab or golf cart distance. Of course we also shared the decedent lobster quesadilla at Sip Sip. I would have loved to try some of the more "local" places but was being conservative since dining for two. You can take a quick stroll to the Piggly Wiggly mart for things like bottled water, crackers, etc.
We couldn't be happier that we stayed and dined at Rock House, and highly recommend it for just about anyone!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rock House is a luxury 10 room boutique hotel on Harbour Island, Bahamas. Our fine dining restaurant has one of the best sunset views of the bay. Personal service and unmatched attention to every detail.Rock House has been a vibrant and colourful feature of the Harbour Island landscape since the early 1940's. Originally a private home, then a Bed and Breakfast and for many years a rental property, Rock House today has evolved to become the standard for elegance, island sophistication and superior service. Fodor's Choice, Condé Nast, Travel & Leisure and Tripadvisor award winner.In July 2002, Rock House caught the interest of the well-known South Florida builder J. Wallace Tutt III. Tutt and business partner Don Purdy, who had already created the successful Hotel Impala in South Beach and worked on commissions for Cher and the late Gianni Versace, had a vision of transforming the property into a luxury boutique hotel. The bar and dining experience at Rock House warrant special and distinct mention offering fine dining under the stars on the pool patio, at our select Chef's Table or on the Terrace overlooking the bay - you can be assured of the perfect cocktail, a superb wine list and delectable menu choices, all served by an attentive yet unobtrusive staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Rock House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rock House Hotel Harbour Island
- Rock Hotel Harbor Island
- Rock House Harbour Island, Bahamas