“awesome”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Long Island
Memphis, Tennessee
“awesome”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

we just returned from a week at cape santa maria the beach is beautiful and the staff is warm and friendly our bungalow was right on the beach with a wonderful view
it is a must to let McKellon take care of you in the bar we could not ask for better service and everyday at lunch the girls were warm when i came to get drinks and place my lunch order
we waited to rent a car and the girl at the front desk was very helpful getting us one
the staff was always smiling and also spoke no matter if they were cutting the yard or cleaning the rooms it is well worth the trip

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My husband and I just returned (shortly before Thanksgiving) and had an outstanding time at CSM! I couldn't imagine a more perfect place - in fact I hope my heaven will look just like the Cape! My husband and I landed and immediately arriving we were greeted with open arms and complete hospitality! The staff was just wonderful and so appreciative of us and their home. We stayed in bungalow 16 and it was great...the room however could definitely stand an uplift. I really wish (and suggest) wifi could be offered in the Bungalows as well, even if it required a daily charge - totally fine by us...we were able keep in contact with our family at the main house, however as one entry mentions below, the internet was down quite a lot. Also, I didn't realize this until we got home, but we were suppose to have had a complimentary bottle of champagne/wine upon our arrival and a 30 minute massage while we were there...but it was never offered :(

This is definitely NOT a place to go and expect a big nightlife or 1000 things to do to keep you busy. It is more so a place to unwind and relax and just enjoy the company you are with and take in the gorgeous scenary. We were in bed sometimes by 830 ;) Which was fine by us! Such a relaxing trip!

The food was great - huge portions...I must say my husband and I chose the meal plan when we arrived, however after the first night, we agreed it was too much food and opted out the following day. I have to admit I was dispointed in the meals for dinner. I ordered Lobster twice during our stay and both times (although beautiful presentation) the meat was extremely tough and was not good at all - and the executive chef from British Columbia working - I was very disapointed. The breakfast and lunch menu was outstanding, however and some days we didn't even eat lunch b/c the breakfast held us over! The bar menu was great too along with delicious drinks and

We enjoyed kayaking and having our own excursions around the lagoon behind the resort - it was stunning. We snorkelled around the mangroves as well and walked the whole cape! Absolutely, the most beautiful country I have ever seen. We hiked the hill to the Columbus monument, rented a car and drove to Dean's Blue Hole (breathtaking), kayaked and biked around the area. My husband loves to snorkel and he was a little disapointed in the snorkeling, however if you walk north of the resort a ways, there is a small reef that he said was amazing! It was simply a trip of a lifetime and we defintiely hope to return with our babies soon! We agreed that it's the first place we have ever been where the pictures indeed give the place justice - it's just as beautiful as their website/photos say! Cheers to a wonderful vacation just my husband and I! We will be making the trip again and plan on bringing the babies back with us!

Room Tip: Alcohol is not included with the meal plan and there is no room service - would have been nice to ha...
2 Thank Tatham S
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This was our fifth year in a row vacationing at CSM, we love it there. A beautiful private beach to relax on an your room is only about 25 foot from the water. Great food in the restaurant and bar and a friendly staff that calls you by name!! This needs to be on every ones "Bucket List" We'll be back next November with the gang!

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the boardwalk right in front of the beach.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 97Romeo
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at CSM during the last week of November. We had one week of total relaxation. There are no large crowds or noisy pools with water slides here! The bungalows are just a few feet from the waters edge and offer a picture perfect view of one of the finest beaches you can find. What I liked more than the beach was the lagoon behind the resort! I was amazed when I saw it! It's so serene. I took the kayak there countless times during our stay! The best part was that it was close to our room. However, the beach is not the only thing that makes this resort what it is. The staff is by far the best staff we have encountered anywhere. From the front desk to the bar…great people like Breanda, Nadine, Lorna and of course McKellon just to name a few. After a week they became a part of our experience there.

We liked the food at both breakfast and dinner as well as the dining area. Charging for an extra glass of juice though? Everyday we looked forward to our conch fritters and groupers fingers at happy hour..nothing like a goombay smash.

When we booked our bungalow we knew it would be basic accomodations, however, they can benefit from a little attention since they seem dated, mostly the bathrooms. This was not the first resort we have been to without a television, but they really need to work on adding wifi to the bungalows. Many times during our stay, the wifi was down in the main house as well. Since we used wifi as a means of making phone calls, it was very important to us. The resort asks that guests be considerate and share the gazebos on the beach. It would have been nice to use the one right outside our door more often but other guests treated it as personal property dawn to dusk.To alleviate this we used the gazebos further down towards the villas, not a big deal, just an inconvenience. The addition of one more towards the north end would help as there are only two.

Renting a car for a trip to Dean's Blue Hole (a must) and a taste of Max's famous conch salad (see my review) makes for a great day trip. CSM also gives guests a half hour complimentary massage (courtesy of Omar's) which we extended to an hour each..ahhh!

1 Thank CoconutOne
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa with friends, villa 41, perfect as its the last one so you feel like you are there alone. The Villa was beautiful, finished to a high standard. I thought the turquoise water (many different shades of Turquoise) and white sand were stunning. Snorkelling not that great, kayaking in the lagoon great. Went to Deans Blue Hole, it was interesting. Hobie cat and paddle boards a lot of fun. In general the whole place was unbeatable for a vacation. The local people are so friendly and always smiling. Loved them.

Room Tip: ground floor villas are the best, you have a full kitchen and laundry and both bedrooms have their o...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dawn S
Nebraska
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We had a great trip to Long Island and stayed at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort. We flew with a group of small pilots. Had a great time. We had the beach to ourselves along with a few other couples. No crowds here. Other than the primary road along the island which is rather nice, the other roads are a bit rough. Took a taxi from the airport. Also rented a car and drove the island. This is mostly an isolated resort away from crowds. It wasn't for us because 20+ new friends were there. We kayaked, visited Stella Maris resort, and Deans Blue hole. Customs was a breeze in and out and the airport was terrific for our small plane. We stayed 3 nights. Probably could have stayed one more and just sat on the beach. Great lunch menu and breakfast. Okay supper menu. Did I mention pretty much walk out and you are on the beach?

Room Tip: The bungalows are right on the beach. Older and smaller but very cozy feeling. The Villas are more...
1 Thank superdan00
chicago
Reviewed 20 November 2013

In its way, Cape Santa Maria is just perfect. To start, it sits on one of the most spectacularly beautiful (and perfect) beaches in the world. Cool, pink, powder soft sand; crystal clear, tranquil, turquoise water.... it's a virtual cliche-fest of Caribbean perfection. The accommodations aren't too shabby either. At CSM they come in two varieties - bungalows and villas - both of which sit directly on the beach. We're talking 20 yards from door to ocean. We stayed in a villa (#24) which was casually but beautifully decorated, fully equipped (from wine glasses to board games) and gloriously spacious (2 large bedrooms, an open kitchen, dining, living area, 2 full baths, a screened in porch, etc.). But what made our stay perfect was the people.
I do not know what kind of training program is at work at Cape Santa Maria, but whatever it is, they should be exporting it to the States. We (insanely) traveled to the resort with my husband's 84 year old parents who are not only frail, but demanding and extremely difficult. Over the years I have seen them make hardened hospitality professionals beg for mercy on three continents. Not only did the staff at CSM roll with the punches, but they took such good care of them (and us) that they were purring like kittens. And it wasn't just us. This is the sort of place where people hug their server goodbye on their last night; where the man who took us out fishing on his boat left a conch shell on my doorstep the morning we left, and the manager himself showed up with his arms full of towels at when the washing machine in our Villa inexplicably overflowed at 10:00 at night. That said, CSM is not the Four Seasons. It is casual and comfortable and quiet. The food is fresh and prepared to order and the drinks are reasonably priced and plentiful. Two 1/2 hour massages were included in our stay and Omar (the entrepreneur of the Island) arrived at our Villa and gave me one of the best ones of my life.
Reef fishing with Bert and Gene was a complete treat. We caught lots of fish which they cleaned and the kitchen prepared for our dinner.
Don't come here if you're looking for night life, or for that matter, any sort of life at all beyond the resort, but if you want the best beach vacation of your life, you won't be disappointed by Cape Santa Maria.

Room Tip: If you want something more than a basic accommodation, spring for a Villa.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 23 in Andros
Harbor Breeze Villas
Harbor Breeze Villas
#1 of 2 in Clarence Town

Been to Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!