Long Island is not exactly a party-animal destination in the Bahamas and Cape Santa Maria Resort, located at the north-west end of the island, is some miles removed even from what major settlements do exist. Therefore it is perfect for couples or groups whose objective is to spend some quiet time in comfort while enjoying sand, sea and wonderful Bahamas hospitality.
The resort has been around for some years but is being maintained to perfection by the current owners. Paint is fresh, rooms spotless and you will note nice little extra touches like door closers that insure you won't be disturbed by banging screen doors. No ill-fitting doors, balky plumbing or wheezing air-contitioners here!
Accomodations consist of bungalow style duplexes with roomy air-conditioned bedrooms with large screened porch areas for enjoying the breezes. Another option for families or two-couple parties would be one of their two-bedroom villas with housekeeping facilities. All units front onto a very nice beach of fine white sand lined with plenty of beach chairs, umbrellas & cabanas.
Centerpiece of the resort is a 2-story building housing the office/reception area, bar and dining room, plus a small sundries store, TV room and an exercise room. The bar and restaurant are pretty much the extent of night-life for the surrounding area and are popular with local residents as well as guests. Food is excellent and well-prepared, although as everywhere in the Bahamas is served at a leasurly pace, so the wonderful view from the second-foor dining room is a big plus while you await the next course of your meal. Most guests opt for one of the meal plans, offering either 3 meals or just breakfast + dinner.
While kick-back relaxing is a big passtime, there are other activites available. Fishing expeditions and snorkle/picnic trips, SCUBA outings and escorted island land tours are all offered, as are rental cars for island exploring and bicycles for local rides.
For keeping in touch there is good free wi-fi in the main building area, cell coverage is also good but roaming rates are a little pricey.
On the subject of prices, the Bahamas are not cheap anywhere and while Cape Santa Maria isn't at the high end of the scale our 5 day/4 night April 2014 stay, all inclusive of food, a moderate amount of booze at the bar, taxes, etc. came to $498 per night for the two of us. Not bad, we felt, for a getaway to paradise.
A final note for private pilots: Only a few hundred yards from the resort, the Cape Santa Maria airstrip, previously designated MYLM but apparently no longer "offically" listed, is still in use and the resort will send a ride. Surface is primarily hard coral, graded relatively smooth, with about 2300 feet usable. If off-pavement is not your bag, the primary customs & fuel airport, Stella Maris, is only about 9 miles southeast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Untouched... Undiscovered... Barefoot elegance in a Caribbean paradise. Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort is unlike any place you have ever experienced. Mile after mile of silky-fine sandy beach melts into the warm turquoise water. With twenty bungalows and a handful of villas steps from the most beautiful beach in the Bahamas, an escape to Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort is an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas Hotel Long Island
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort And Villas
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Hotel
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas Long Island, Bahamas