I have visted Cape Santa Maria May 2009 and 2010 and will definately be back 2011. To call it a resort, while accurate, is not what most expect. I have been to several resorts in Jamaica, Dominican Republican, Bahamas and the Caribbean so have had my share or resort experiences.If you want a resort that has hundreds of people fighting for activities, food and alcohol, blaring music and where you are treated like cattle with a room key, then stay away from Cape Santa Maria. I cannot believe that unplugging from everyday life in such beauty would not be appealing. I guess its because I am older now and have had my spring break fever long ago, that now I find myself looking for places where I can disconnect from my 7-6 job and reconnect with my wife. Dont get me wrong it is by no means boring, it just has a different appeal that may not appeal to you. We were there for nine days and found ourselves wanting more time.For instance, our typical day at the Cape consisted of a early morning kayak either along the point or through the bay to small private beaches where we fished, snorkeled, my wife looked looked for shells or just sun tanned in absolute privacy. Lunch was always a hearty meal and the staff are always friendly. Afternoons we either went Bone or reef fishing with Bert or Basil which was absolutely fantastic. My wife never knew how to fish and never wanted to before, but with Berts and Basils expertise and patience she has out caught me on both trips! Bert is full of local knowledge and his stories and love of life will keep you laughing and pulling in plenty of fish. If we didnt fish we would take the bikes and explore Columbus monument, go for walks and swims or just read and suntan.Doing nothing sometimes is just fantastic. One day we rented a car and spent the whole day exploring the island, finding empty beaches, eating and drinking at local spots and enjoying no traffic! Dinner was always good and we always tried to sample the chefs specials as they are usually fresh caught fish with a local twist. It's a small island so dont expect white glove service, expect a friendly smile with genuine interest in how your day was and a willingness to please you. Sit back, relax and enjoy the beautiful scenary. I've read reviews that say the service isnt as good as restaurants at home but there is a key difference. Cape Santa Maria doesnt want to get you fed as quickly as possible so that they turn a table, they want you to relax and enjoy your meal without the rush so you actually have time to enjoy the food, wine and company. We didnt go without anything nor have a meal that wasnt better than any other restaurant. The rooms served our needs, to sleep shower and get ready, and we rarely spent any time in it. I travel five days out of the week for work so hotels are no joy for me, but our room was like a family beach house. Organising your activities is easy, the front desk staff get everything prepared as well as finding people for you to share excursions with to lower the cost. Everything is mapped out on a white board in reception which makes it easy. If you go you'll meet the managers Brooke and Eva really quickly as they are always around and fantastic hosts. Overall I have nothing but praise for Cape Santa Maria, they are in a whole different class for me personally. I cant wait t be back next year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Untouched... Undiscovered... Barefoot elegance in a Caribbean paradise. Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort is unlike any place you have ever experienced. Mile after mile of silky-fine sandy beach melts into the warm turquoise water. With twenty bungalows and a handful of villas steps from the most beautiful beach in the Bahamas, an escape to Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort is an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort And Villas
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas Hotel Long Island
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Hotel
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas Long Island, Bahamas