“Resort? In a whole different class!!!!”

Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Long Island
durban
“Resort? In a whole different class!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

I have visted Cape Santa Maria May 2009 and 2010 and will definately be back 2011. To call it a resort, while accurate, is not what most expect. I have been to several resorts in Jamaica, Dominican Republican, Bahamas and the Caribbean so have had my share or resort experiences.If you want a resort that has hundreds of people fighting for activities, food and alcohol, blaring music and where you are treated like cattle with a room key, then stay away from Cape Santa Maria. I cannot believe that unplugging from everyday life in such beauty would not be appealing. I guess its because I am older now and have had my spring break fever long ago, that now I find myself looking for places where I can disconnect from my 7-6 job and reconnect with my wife. Dont get me wrong it is by no means boring, it just has a different appeal that may not appeal to you. We were there for nine days and found ourselves wanting more time.For instance, our typical day at the Cape consisted of a early morning kayak either along the point or through the bay to small private beaches where we fished, snorkeled, my wife looked looked for shells or just sun tanned in absolute privacy. Lunch was always a hearty meal and the staff are always friendly. Afternoons we either went Bone or reef fishing with Bert or Basil which was absolutely fantastic. My wife never knew how to fish and never wanted to before, but with Berts and Basils expertise and patience she has out caught me on both trips! Bert is full of local knowledge and his stories and love of life will keep you laughing and pulling in plenty of fish. If we didnt fish we would take the bikes and explore Columbus monument, go for walks and swims or just read and suntan.Doing nothing sometimes is just fantastic. One day we rented a car and spent the whole day exploring the island, finding empty beaches, eating and drinking at local spots and enjoying no traffic! Dinner was always good and we always tried to sample the chefs specials as they are usually fresh caught fish with a local twist. It's a small island so dont expect white glove service, expect a friendly smile with genuine interest in how your day was and a willingness to please you. Sit back, relax and enjoy the beautiful scenary. I've read reviews that say the service isnt as good as restaurants at home but there is a key difference. Cape Santa Maria doesnt want to get you fed as quickly as possible so that they turn a table, they want you to relax and enjoy your meal without the rush so you actually have time to enjoy the food, wine and company. We didnt go without anything nor have a meal that wasnt better than any other restaurant. The rooms served our needs, to sleep shower and get ready, and we rarely spent any time in it. I travel five days out of the week for work so hotels are no joy for me, but our room was like a family beach house. Organising your activities is easy, the front desk staff get everything prepared as well as finding people for you to share excursions with to lower the cost. Everything is mapped out on a white board in reception which makes it easy. If you go you'll meet the managers Brooke and Eva really quickly as they are always around and fantastic hosts. Overall I have nothing but praise for Cape Santa Maria, they are in a whole different class for me personally. I cant wait t be back next year!

4 Thank Brettvan12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

My boyfriend and I recently had the good fortune of visiting this resort for 7 nights. We had a wonderful time and found the staff refreshing in that they "wanted" you to visit. Upon checking in we had a problem with A/C and safe that were immediately addressed. While the menu didn't change (duh your in out island) the food regardless of choice was superb. Many of the portions are large, so consider sharing if your not overly hungry. If you want to cook be sure to stay in a Villa. Brock and staff are best in class !!!! Thanks for a wonderful week ............ Hope to visit again

BrookCSM, Manager at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 21 August 2010
Dear Travel-quiz,

It was great to meet you both and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Cape Santa Maria certainly is a special place in this world; one where you can stay busy exploring the island, going bone fishing or snorkeling or simply relax on the beach with a good book.

With regards to our dining room menus, we have recently revised all of our menus and would like to continue with these through the Christmas season prior to launching new menus in 2011. In addition, we continue to create new dinner specials which are offered daily on our Feature Sheet.

I really enjoyed our conversations and hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Brook Castelsky
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

My husband and I were fortunate enough to visit CSM last month for the second time. We have traveled quite a bit and have been to many, many beaches all over the world; and without a doubt this is the most beautiful beach we have ever visited. The sand feels like baby powder between your toes and never, ever gets too warm to walk on. The turquoise water is so warm and clear you can see the giant starfish on the bottom as you are swimming. You don't even need your snorkle gear but if you wish to snorkle the resort can provide the equipment. We stayed in one of the beautiful villas which have 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths along with jacuzzi tub, washer & dryer and fully equipped kitchen. All the villas and the bungalows are right on the beach. You literally walk out the door and step onto the most beautiful beach in the world. It is heaven. There are gazebos that line the beach in case you wish to get out of the sun. I never saw them completely occupied. This place reminds me of the brochures that resorts put out with the lone couple strolling on the beautiful beach. This is the place! The beach is never, ever crowded. We went bone fishing and reef fishing with Bert and had an absolute blast! He is the best, and obviously loves his job and passes that joy onto you. We did rent a car for one day to tour Long Island and really enjoyed ourselves, stopped at Max's Conch Bar and arrived just as Gary was cutting up freshly caught conch into conch salad. Wow, it was so good! Other than the fishing and the one day tour we relaxed, relaxed, relaxed. We usually had our lunch on the beach and then would head to the beautiful beachfront clubhouse for happy hour and a wonderful dinner. The managers, a lovely young couple, Brook and Ewa, always took the time to make sure that we had all we needed and the staff was equally eager to please. If you are looking for a vacation where you return home feeling relaxed, well rested, pampered and anxious to return then Cape Santa Maria is the place to go.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wcdh4929
Winterthur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

Perfect wedding and relaxing place. Beautiful beaches! Do not expect to go shopping on Long Island, there is really nothing.

Doylestown PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

Friendly staff, clean and functional accommodations, and a white powdery sand beach and turquoise water that is out of this world. My husband found some good snorkeling at the rocks around the point as well. Do try the couples massage on the porch of your bungalow--they come to you! A heavenly, relaxing get away. So glad we came.

South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

Once again, a perfect trip to Long Island. We had such a blast last year, we booked again at Cape Santa Maria and we LOVE this place!!! We are even going to look soon at buying land in Long Island. As if it could be better, this year was better than the last. Cape Santa Maria and the island are wonderful with friendly people, a stress-free environment and the back drop of paradise! Maxine, Jessica, McKellen, Cindy, Rashad, Starlene, Janica, Michael, Basil, and Bert...YOU ARE THE BEST! Brook and Ewa run a great place with wonderful staff, service, and an at-home feel to the place. We love it and are already planning year three to "Escape to the Cape". Sunsets, locations to explore with nobody else around, and fishing are where it's at! Reef fishing was fun again, but we discovered bonefishing with Bert this year (our favorite thing), a rental car to explore the island and you must hit Columbus Point! LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
BrookCSM, General Manager at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 26 June 2010
Dear Dvdmerwe,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It was great to see you again and we are happy to hear that you had relaxing vacation. Great bonefish photos! Thank you for bringing Dunkin' Donuts, the staff really appreciated it. Can't wait to see you next year.

Cheers,
Brook and Ewa Castelsky and the Staff at Cape Santa Maria
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

there is nothing else to say about the Cape Santa Maria than PERFECT! Best Beach i ever saw, wow, will never forget that!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Island
#4 of 23 in Andros
Harbor Breeze Villas
Harbor Breeze Villas
#1 of 2 in Clarence Town

Been to Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!