All reviewsmoonshine barnatural poolrum punchfishcape santa mariacolumbus monumentscuba divingbar loungethe north endblue holethe atlantic oceanmeal planrock poolshotel rooms aredaily activitiesother islandslaid back
Reviewed 3 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at Stella Maris Resort Club in March 2011. We are seasoned travellers and have seen a lot of good and bad places, so I hope my report will be fair and balanced.

Good news first: the place is very well run and organised. The management work very hard to cater to the guests’ every wish and to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay for them. Everyone is very polite, friendly and helpful (perhaps apart from people at the bar who are remarkably gloomy and look like they are in pain all the time). So the atmosphere is very pleasant and comfortable. Most people at reception are bilingual in English and German (many of the guests are German), which is also very impressive. We are especially grateful to Karen at reception, who takes time and effort to talk to the guests, explain the local customs and answer all possible questions.

The accommodation is very comfortable: the one-bedroom cottages (highly recommended) are well designed and decorated, everything is very clean, there is a hair-drier in the room and free wi-fi: 10 out of 10. The grounds are well looked after. There are several swimming pools. It’s quiet and peaceful and you can constantly hear the lapping of the waves on the sea front which adds to the charm of the place.

The food is a slightly more difficult point for me to review. I love good food and I am used to eating out in restaurants in European cities, so the home cooking at the resort left me disappointed and craving something else! The best description of it is that it is home cooking, something one’s granny might make on a Sunday, with perfectly good ingredients but occasional slips: overcooked mange-touts, undercooked Brussels, conch so chewy that it’s like rubber... That said, I do appreciate the fact that it’s a small island with a population of just 3000 people, so to find a professional cook is probably not possible, so they must have tried hard to find the best possible option. The food is perfectly adequate, but not top notch and pretty expensive (for Europeans, pretty much all prices in the Bahamas seem steep). We found that ordering the dish of the day, every day, produced the best results. Don’t go a la carte. Also, bear in mind that there is nowhere else to eat (we tried!) apart from the resort restaurant, and there is no shop anywhere near to get snacks or sweets, so do stock up on your favourite munchies before you come. Also consider buying the meal plan – you’ll tell yourself, as we did, that it’s a waste of money because you won’t always be eating at the resort. But trust me: you will. There’s nowhere else.

The bad news: the best beach where you can swim, Santa Maria Cape Beach, is a 30 min bus ride away. Half of the journey is on a VERY rough country road, and it’s rather painful. So if you want a perfect beach, you have to get on the bus at 9 and come back at 1.30. Once you are there, you are stuck and cannot leave till they pick you up. However, that beach really is perfect: white sand, warm turquoise seas, with a pleasant sandy bottom – just like in a holiday brochure. Moreover, you’ll have it virtually to yourself; there was never a soul there when we went.

There is a beach on the territory of the resort, but it’s impossible to swim from. It’s on the “wrong” side of the island, the windy Atlantic side where dramatic but scary waves come crashing on the rocky shore, so you don’t want to jump in there unless you feel suicidal! There is a salt water rock pool cut in the rock, but it is only swimmable at low tide, because at high tide the waves come into it from 2 opposite sides and create nasty whirlpools. Having dreamed of an easy beach holiday, I was disappointed to see that.

What else? The local people are incredibly friendly and helpful; there is (reportedly) no crime so no one locks anything; but sand flies do bite and it’s itchy, and the weather is not 100% guaranteed – it rained a bit and was very windy and cloudy on some days, while we were there, but we had a couple of lovely sunny days too.

Will I go back there? No – it’s too far (for a Londoner), too expensive, and I love my food too much! Will I recommend it to others? Yes – after all, this resort has a perfect Caribbean beach. But like with all good things in life, you’ll have to suffer for it a bit.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank praskovya
starofthesea, Director of Sales at Stella Maris Resort Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2011

While we present ourselves as a tropical resort rather than a beach resort, Long Island is prized for its secluded beaches. One may need to hunt for them, but oh what a pleasure when you ‘discover’ one! I’m glad you enjoyed the beach at the cape, the beach at Deal’s is also lovely for swimming, and so many others with pretty reefs for easy snorkeling. We do like to encourage our guests to explore and talk about several beaches and land excursions in our guest booklet and on our Beaches map.
Thank you for your compliments to staff and management. We are sorry that our bar service was not up to standard. Our main bar tender had a bout of severe leg pains that required a trip to Nassau for medical attention, and we do apologize for the consequential lapse in our normal friendly and welcoming bar service.
While our beach bar food service is quick and light, we do strive to present a menu in our main dining room based on fresh local cuisine that is well prepared and presented. Though not a gourmand experience, our restaurant is generally highly praised by all of our guests. We thank you for recommending our meal plan, it is relatively inexpensive, but we are sorry that you missed the opportunity to visit one of the many small, lovely local eateries, most within an easy drive from our resort.
Thank you for taking the time to share your Long Island experience.

Reviewed 22 February 2011

Having traveled the Caribbean for many years, I've encountered just about everything; from unkempt holes to luxury resorts. In all these years, I don't think I've ever come across any place that was as well managed or as focused on the well being of its guests.

Stella Maris is a small, sprawling resort located on the Long Island, which is about 160 miles southeast of Nassau. I booked a ten day stay for myself, my wife, and a few friends. Our interests range from scuba diving, to snorkeling, to tennis. Since this resort seemed to offer what we wanted, and also had an all-inclusive meal plan, we decided to try it.

Flying in from Boston, we were greeted at Nassau's Executive Flight Support building by two of Stella Maris pilot/managers and two small planes. The flight over was about an hour. After landing at the Stella Maris Airport, our baggage was picked up and we were driven the short distance to the resort. Karin, another manager, greeted us with rum punches and showed us to our rooms. Each room had a welcome basket of fruit and/or drinks. The rooms were not overly large, consisting of a bedroom, a foyer, and a bathroom which had a tub and shower. The king sized bed was very comfortable. Each room had an overhead fan, an air conditioner, a fridge, and a balcony. The rooms did not have phones, TV's, or keys to the door lock. Valuables can be stored at the main desk. Storage was limited, with single drawers one of two night tables, and a writing desk. There is a storage area in the foyer with cubby holes and hangers. A dresser with drawers would have been nice, but all of us figured out how to get all our "stuff" stowed. The rooms all appeared to have been recently renovated and were spotlessly clean. When I first arrived, my air conditioner was dead. I mentioned this and within an hour a new unit had been installed. I was impressed.

The resort has several beaches, but those within walking distance are rocky and the surf is daunting. If one wanted to swim in the ocean, a quick ride over to calm locales was easily arranged by Karin. Since there are three swimming pools and a salt water natural pool, this really didn't turn out to be an issue at all.

Stella Maris has a beach bar and a full bar in the main building. Service at the beach bar was slow, although the drinks were great. Service at the regular bar was fast and the drinks were excellent as well. A dish of nuts or chips was routinely provided at no charge with drinks. Under the meal plan, we each had three drinks per day included, plus wine at dinner. Dinner is typically served in the spacious dining room. This is not a buffet style all-inclusive, but a sit down meal with a menu and wait service. The menu is extensive; so much so that I at first couldn't believe that I could order anything I wanted. I could ... and did. Soups, appetizers, entrées, and desserts are offered at every dinner. Breakfast and lunch were also provided from an impressive menu. With dinner, our group was given two large carafes of red or white wine ... more than enough for us. The quality of the food here is truly incredible; comparable to fine dining at better restaurants. Everyone was truly in awe of the exceptional food we were provided. We never met the chef but, whoever he is, our compliments to the chef! What a treat!

The tennis courts are privately owned and a distance from Stella Maris. Whenever we wanted to play, we simply let the front desk know and we were shuttled back and forth to the courts. These are well maintained courts with a sand covered artificial turf surface. They play well.

For scuba diving, we were driven down to the marina where we were able to rinse and store our gear. Our divemaster was a gracious gentleman named Robert, and he was friendly and very safety conscious. The dive sites were mostly patch reef, with prolific reef fish. Lionfish, an invasive predatory species, were seen on most dives. These fish are a threat to native species of fish, and Robert always had a small spear with him to try to kill any he encountered. When the sea was calm, and the sites shallow, our snorkelers were welcome on the boat. We all also visited Dean's Blue Hole, a rather famous 660' deep sinkhole. The snorkelers cruised the rim of the hole while the divers dropped to about 85'. When out on the boat, the resort provided us with box lunches, a very nice touch.

When I first arrived, I immediately got bitten up by the notorious sand fleas. You can't see them and you can't feel them bite, but their bites really do itch. After one night of agony, I asked Karin what to do. She suggested keeping the windows in the room closed and using the air conditioner; this so the little buggers couldn't get through the screens. She also told me to wash the bites with alcohol and vinegar to relieve the itch. Another recommendation was to use baby oil instead of bug spray. There was no baby oil in the gift shop, so Karin brought me some from her home. I am happy to report that Karin's suggestions worked and I had almost no other bites for the rest of my stay.

The staff at Stella Maris was uniformly friendly, courteous, and helpful. Robert, our divemaster, also doubled as a tour guide and took us around the island to visit the many small shops. One of the treats during our stay was the cave party. There's a large cave a few minutes walk from the resort, and it's often used for parties. One night we had a cave barbecue, complete with a local Bahamian rake and scrape band. Not surprisingly at this point, Robert was also part of the band. (I think the only thing Robert didn't do was fly our plane, but I'm sure he's working on it.) The food was great, the drinks flowing, and the band kept our feet moving the whole night. It was an experience!

Stella Maris is exceptional. It offers friendship, fine food, and an impressive attention to detail. It's easy to get to and, if you don't need gambling and high powered entertainment, is an ideal place to just chill out. There's a phone at the main desk, a TV in the lounge, and wi-fi access. That was enough "civilization" for my friends and I. Saying hello to everyone and waving to any passing vehicle made this feel like a small town stay; except with a decidedly Caribbean flair. Stella Maris is on my personal short list of places I would want to visit again. It's an easy recommendation.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank saholz
Reviewed 7 February 2011

My husband and I stayed at Stella Maris Resort in April of 2010. I led a group who was there to combine a lovely tropical vacation with some learning. We did some archaeological excavating at an old plantation dating to the late 1700s. This resort was the perfect place to base our project!

The staff was incredibly accommodating, the food was insanely good (and plentiful), the rooms were very clean and comfortable, we did not incur a bunch of unexpected expenses as at many so-called "inclusive" resorts, and the setting of the resort is lovely! This is a low-key, relaxed, and lush setting. I would highly recommend Stella Maris to anyone wanting to escape from the real world

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank fennelle
Reviewed 25 December 2010

Stella Maris Resort is a great place to spend your vacation. I spent six nights there and wished I could have stayed longer. I visited Stella Maris from Dec. 13 to Dec 20th.

Management & Staff:
The management personnel and resort staff were very helpful during my stay. Elizabeth Vance assited me with directions to various historical spots like Adderleys Plantation Ruins. She even drew how each site would appear when I reached it whether it be the entryway or other aspect. The other people at the front desk were also efficient and friendly. Whenever I wanted to use the internet it was no problem. In some instances I felt like I was part of a big family. Even when I wasn’t sure what activity I wanted to participate in they were patient enough to explain what each activity entails. The restaurant and bar service was also commendable.

Food & Drink:
The food and drinks were very good. Especially the BBQ night where we were served Rum Punch and steaks and Mahi Mahi from the grill. The buffet layout was excellent especially the salads. It was during my second night there that I was invited to dine with 2 other guests since I traveled alone. Thereafter I was never alone for dinner at Stella Maris resort though I did venture out to other restaurants by myself. I visited Chez Pierre for a delicious Italian dinner and it was great. The owner is the cook, housekeeper, etc.

Activities:
There is so much to do at Stella Maris and I wish I could I have done more. My second day there I borrowed a bike (free of charge) and rode to Adderley's Plantation ruins. Getting there was no easy. The roads are steep which means it’s difficult to ride a bike to the top of the hill. The footpaths to the ruins have plants and trees along the way. It plant or tree is noted with a name and its uses by people. The ruins were not much to see but getting is pretty exciting. I toured the rest of the island by car on my 3rd day to the end of the Long Island at Gordon township. It’s a nice secluded spot with nice calm blue water. I stopped by the Flying Fish Marina in Clarence Town for a delicious lunch of Cornish hen, rice & peas with cranberry sauce. I also ventured to Deans Blue Hole which is a must-see for every visitor. I did not go into the water but I did walk along the edge of the hole where its deep blue because of its depth of over 60 feet. I stopped at Cartwright's to make an appointment for cave sightseeing but it closed at the time. I went on the Stella Maris Resort dive boat to observe how one must prepare for deep-sea diving. The divers went down 35 feet for 45 minutes. The dive operator was patient and diligent in showing first-time divers the techniques of diving. The water was 65 degrees which is too cold for me. I also visited the Saltwater pool at Stella Maris Resort which is by the ocean on the Atlantic side. There are also small “Love” beaches which you need to reach by car and are also nice to visit. I met other people there and we played pool and had drinks and conversed.

Overall I enjoyed myself at Stella Maris Resort and look forward to visiting in the future

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank laguna68
Reviewed 30 August 2010

a gracious staff, delicious food, spectacular beaches. the nature pool was awesome and the freshwater pool right outside our cottage was a special treat. this was our 11th trip in about 25 years to the family islands, our first to long island and we will definitely be back. rent a car for a couple of days to get the whole vibe of the island and discover some of the most beautiful (and empty!) beaches. don't miss the blue hole. all in all, a trip well done. you'll have to save your nickles but it's worth every dime. take the all inclusive deal. no worries.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family