All reviews moonshine bar natural pool rum punch fish cape santa maria columbus monument scuba diving bar lounge the north end blue hole the atlantic ocean meal plan rock pools hotel rooms are daily activities other islands laid back
Reviewed 25 December 2010

Stella Maris Resort is a great place to spend your vacation. I spent six nights there and wished I could have stayed longer. I visited Stella Maris from Dec. 13 to Dec 20th.

Management & Staff:
The management personnel and resort staff were very helpful during my stay. Elizabeth Vance assited me with directions to various historical spots like Adderleys Plantation Ruins. She even drew how each site would appear when I reached it whether it be the entryway or other aspect. The other people at the front desk were also efficient and friendly. Whenever I wanted to use the internet it was no problem. In some instances I felt like I was part of a big family. Even when I wasn’t sure what activity I wanted to participate in they were patient enough to explain what each activity entails. The restaurant and bar service was also commendable.

Food & Drink:
The food and drinks were very good. Especially the BBQ night where we were served Rum Punch and steaks and Mahi Mahi from the grill. The buffet layout was excellent especially the salads. It was during my second night there that I was invited to dine with 2 other guests since I traveled alone. Thereafter I was never alone for dinner at Stella Maris resort though I did venture out to other restaurants by myself. I visited Chez Pierre for a delicious Italian dinner and it was great. The owner is the cook, housekeeper, etc.

Activities:
There is so much to do at Stella Maris and I wish I could I have done more. My second day there I borrowed a bike (free of charge) and rode to Adderley's Plantation ruins. Getting there was no easy. The roads are steep which means it’s difficult to ride a bike to the top of the hill. The footpaths to the ruins have plants and trees along the way. It plant or tree is noted with a name and its uses by people. The ruins were not much to see but getting is pretty exciting. I toured the rest of the island by car on my 3rd day to the end of the Long Island at Gordon township. It’s a nice secluded spot with nice calm blue water. I stopped by the Flying Fish Marina in Clarence Town for a delicious lunch of Cornish hen, rice & peas with cranberry sauce. I also ventured to Deans Blue Hole which is a must-see for every visitor. I did not go into the water but I did walk along the edge of the hole where its deep blue because of its depth of over 60 feet. I stopped at Cartwright's to make an appointment for cave sightseeing but it closed at the time. I went on the Stella Maris Resort dive boat to observe how one must prepare for deep-sea diving. The divers went down 35 feet for 45 minutes. The dive operator was patient and diligent in showing first-time divers the techniques of diving. The water was 65 degrees which is too cold for me. I also visited the Saltwater pool at Stella Maris Resort which is by the ocean on the Atlantic side. There are also small “Love” beaches which you need to reach by car and are also nice to visit. I met other people there and we played pool and had drinks and conversed.

Overall I enjoyed myself at Stella Maris Resort and look forward to visiting in the future

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank laguna68
Reviewed 30 August 2010

a gracious staff, delicious food, spectacular beaches. the nature pool was awesome and the freshwater pool right outside our cottage was a special treat. this was our 11th trip in about 25 years to the family islands, our first to long island and we will definitely be back. rent a car for a couple of days to get the whole vibe of the island and discover some of the most beautiful (and empty!) beaches. don't miss the blue hole. all in all, a trip well done. you'll have to save your nickles but it's worth every dime. take the all inclusive deal. no worries.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank breadnbutterphoto
Reviewed 8 August 2010

The resort itself was clean and tidy and most staff were helpful except for the bartender who was just rude.
We stayed for a week which was far too long! We were told there would be lovely sandy beaches right by the resort which there are not, it is on the Atlantic side and nothing but rock, you certainly would not want to swim in it, as it is far too rough. On the Caribbean side of Long Island the beaches were gorgeous, Cape Santa Maria beach was particulary beautiful, they did provide a free bus to a few beaches.
There onsite resturant was very expensive and there breakfast was a joke! We went to the nearest shop to stock up (which was a gas station approx 3miles away!) which ofcourse in that heat you do not want to walk, so you need to hire a car which they do offer but its not particulary cheap. Could not believe they did not have a shop onsite!!
Nothing to do of an evening so its gets very boring as there are no TV's in the rooms, which for the price you pay you would expect. Air conditioning did work but sounded like a tractor!
All in all a extremley boring week and i could not wait to get outta there - avoid this Island completely !!

• Stayed: June 2010
4  Thank saveoursharks
starofthesea, Manager at Stella Maris Resort Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2010

There are 700 islands in The Bahamas, with over a dozen offering unique vacation experiences from the bustle and nightlife of Nassau to the solitude and nature of Inagua. Long Island and Stella Maris are found closer toward the latter. Genuine old-fashioned hospitality and friendliness are hallmarks of Long Islanders and it is very rare that anyone describes any of our staff as other than friendly and accommodating. Never the less we are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with one of our bartenders and we will make sure to look into the matter.
Long Island has so many beaches, as we show on our website, from stretches of leeside beach to Atlantic side beach coves. It is nice to hear that you utilized our complementary shuttle to visit a few.
We do offer to accommodate a range of budgets and appetites with several dining options, from full course meals or entrée only options in our dining room, to light dining options at the ocean/pool side Moonshine and in our clubhouse lounge; even catering to special diet requests. Our breakfast options, Continental or Full American, are generally reported by our guests to be quite satisfying and at $16 including selections of beverages, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, eggs/omelets, French toast or German pancakes; quite reasonably priced.
We appreciate our guests’ feedback and are always looking for ways to accommodate your vacation expectations.

Reviewed 4 August 2010

We traveled to Long Island to experience another side of the Bahama Islands. We had spent the previous few days in the bustle of Atlantis. From the moment we were picked up by small plane at Nassau we felt welcomed and informed. Long Island itself was interesting and we could have stayed several more days to get a really good look around. The owners and staff at Stella Maris were friendly and informative. Nothing seemed a problem and the travel advice was much appreciated. We stayed in Rainbow House. For us this was a great choice. It was roomy and gave our Teenage children a space each to spread out in and enjoy. The infinity pool was great. The weather wasn't 100% kind to us but the views over the Atlantic ocean were superb. The food was good although a small walk up to the restaurant and main bar area where you can also access internet. Suggest to anyone going here organize a rental car (can be done through Stella Maris). There is a lot of interesting things to see and gorgeous beaches to visit.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Cheezel
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Although we didn't stay here, we took their resort dive course (Peter is great and extremely knowledgeable about diving and ocean conservation) and then went for one dive at Flamingo Tounge Reef later that day (Rober,the dive master is awesome). It was our first dive but they really took care of me as I was bit nervous. The reefs are beautiful and the water is crystal clear. The bar food was so so but the dinner menu looked very sophisticated and delicious. The resort really seems to cater to their guests. We even met one couple who has been going to Stella Maris for 27 years! On site, they have two swimming pools as well as a natural sea water pool carved into the rock plus their own airstrip which is very convenient. There's also the tide pools (very cool) and the Love Beaches. The resort is very spread out as far as the natural attractions and other private homes in relation to the Inn and club house. There are many roads with nothing on them. I highly advise renting a car, even just to explore the north end. We traveled up to the north area 3 times from our centrally located cottage in Pettys because there are more attractions to see (Columbus monument with the BEST snorkeling IMO in the bay just below, tide pools at SM, beach at Cape Santa Maria). Key advice: do your homework when traveling to an Out Island. Example: one previous post from "grrrrah" blames the resort for her no see um bites. Yes, they are all over the island and no one can do anything about it. Its best to be prepared (we used baby oil as they can't bite through the oil) which worked great.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple