“Owner has some major personality issues- never again”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Long Island
Chez Pierre Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Long Island
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
sacramento
“Owner has some major personality issues- never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2010

It was the worst part of our great vacation. Very degrading in his attitude and manners. I came back this year to Long Island and didn't stay there- much better trip and everyone on the island is wonderful because they are truely from the Island.
Hope this helps,

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
10 Thank tishatin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
West Barnstable
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

eco lodge = great idea, food = pretty good (fish overcooked), proprietor = could use mood stabilizer? poor guy, we have dubbed him "the lunch nazi" (a la seinfeld's soup nazi) no lunch for you!! hahaha

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ecaldwell
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2010

My wife and I were hoping for peace, quiet, and beautiful beaches when we decided to visit Long Island, and that's exactly what we got, in spades. The beaches are gorgeous, the special Bahamas turquoise-blue water stretches far and wide, even on cloudy days, and there were virtually no other people exploring the beaches since the island attracts mainly fishing enthusiasts and they are usually out doing their fishing thing.
Long Island has very limited infrastructure, few "American-type" restaurants, and not much to do except fish, sit and read, or beachcomb. There is some diving, but I didn't avail myself of the dive op at Stella Maris or either of the two private guides who were mentioned. I decided that I wanted to skip being on a schedule and getting up every morning to arrive early at a dive boat just didn't appeal to me on this trip.
Overall, the island was a welcome relief from the rat race at home and our week there was a great change of pace.
Regarding Chez Pierre, the six individual "villas" as Pierre calls them are very basic, with a sleeping area, bathroom (no doors, if that matters to you -- just a separating wall), and a screened-in porch with a killer view of the ocean. Other than the huts out in the water on Moorea or elsewhere in the South Pacific, this is about the best ocean view you'll ever see.
The tricky time occurred during the really hard rainstorms that occurred on two separate nights. This was horizontal rain hitting the side of the hut and spewing in throught the fairly large gaps in the wooden slats that are intended to keep out this kind of bad weather. The solution is to stuff your beach towels (be sure to ask for them) between the slats and the screens.
And that brings me to Pierre, the owner, chef, and guy you have to ask for dry towels if yours get all wet somehow. The laundry is done every third day and our towels, including the beach and bath varieties, got wet keeping out the rain. Pierre's comment was, "These were just dry yesterday," and he grudgingly gave me some fresh towels.
Also, don't ask for salt if you can possibly avoid it. Just eat what he gives you.
If you don't like fish, you may be called into the kitchen to discuss this appalling shortcoming, just as my wife was called in to explain herself. He did cook pasta for her most nights, and steak one night (I thought that was by far the best dish of the week), but he wasn't very happy about it. Fish is served for dinner on most nights.
Some would call Pierre eccentric, others might refer to him as a curmudgeon, and a few might ask what you expect for only $150 a night. In his defense, he runs the place alone, starts early and finishes late, and also has occasional flashes of genuine comaraderie. There were times when I did catch him smiling.
So, on the whole, this is a great place for peace and quiet, the rustic nature of the accommodations will be bearable for some and quaint for others, and the beach just outside your hut is world-class. If you want to be in a place where you won't hear a dog bark or a stereo blasting or a loud TV in the next room, then Chez Pierre is for you. If you want standard American-type accommodations and American-type customer service, then you should go somewhere else such as Cape Santa Maria at the north end of the island or Stella Maris, which is in that same neighborhood. Very pricey and very nice.
We were glad we went and glad to be home.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IdahoDavid
rochester, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

We had read the mix of reviews about Chez Pierre and gleaned from what we read that we would love it. We did.

We flew into Nassau and there are several local airlines which fly daily to Long Island. Here is an example of the type of people you will find on the island. There was a mixup with our taxi - she went to Deadmans Key instead of Stella Maris. When it was apparrant we were stranded (I did not have cell service) one of the women who works at the airport drove us to Chez Pierre. Luckily our two bags just fit in the trunk of her Toyota! She was more than happy to do it and it was out of her way home. Of course I paid her, but I have a feeling she would have done it anyway.

This is not a typical resort a la Nassau. You are renting a cabin (there are 6). It is clean, roomy enough, and the bed is quite comfortable. You have a bathroom and yes the water is brackish. But the salt level is not that high. We did not find that it stung our eyes when we showered. We brought Dial Soap and Baby Shampoo and (contrary to other reviews) it washed out just fine (no soapy residue). The cabin has a screened in porch with 2 adirondak chairs. That's it. You get towels and the room is changed every 3 days which was OK by us (we stayed 7 nights). No TV, but you can get laptop wireless connectivity in the restaurant. Also, Verizon told me I would have cell phone service there. Not true. A few carriers are available (I do not remember which ones), so we were phone less too. For us - that was just fine. This was a true get away. No news, no phone, no TV, just the beautiful surroundings.

Chez Pierre is eco-friendly. He only runs the generator from about 6 or 7am to 10am and then again from about 4 - 8pm. This is when you are assured of hot water. There is a tank under the cabin, so you might get hot water a little longer. We had read reviews that the water was lukewarm. Not so, it was hot. There is the chance of losing water pressure late in the afternoon or very late at night. One afternoon we were without water from about 2pm until 4. Was not as big deal. As we were sleeping overnight this was not an issue. Bring a flashlight, it is dark at night going from the restaurant to your cabin. The stars were amazing.

As other reviews noted, you get a 1 gallon water jug which you can fill in the restaurant at any time for fresh water. Almost everything is extra - so if you want Coke or beer during the day or with dinner, it is added to the bill. This is not unlike any hotel/resort I have stayed at.

The place itself is paradise. It is on a half-moon bay and is the only place on it. The adjoining bays/beaches, which you can walk to, are also undeveloped. You are not in the middle of nowhere, but you are isolated. Pierre has kayaks and a paddle boat. We did a lot of hiking, snorkling and one day chartered a boat to fish (caught 7). The bay by the resort at low tide is very shallow, so you can walk out a long way until finding deeper water. As you would expect - the water is clean and clear. The beach is not the white sand found on other beaches. It is tan; but still a very beautiful beach.

You can rent a car from Pierre, so depending on your itinerary you do not need a rental the whole trip. We did this one day and went sight-seeing and the island is beautiful. This is not "touristy", but there are great things to see: Columbus Point and the Blue Hole should not be missed. We did not make it to the south end but our fishing guide told us that was one of the nicest beaches on the island.

We had read a lot of negatives here about Pierre. They must be speaking about a different owner. Yes, he can be a little gruff. That is just him. He is actually very nice and has a great sense of humor. Anything we needed he was happy to provide. So I would not agree with the negative reviews here. Now, this is not a B&B - you have to be a bit self-sufficient. You are not going to be waited on hand and foot. Let me repeat - anything we needed at any time he was more than happy to do and was quite gracious. And one day he did us a huge favor, which I will not divulge here. Suffice to say it was very generous and gracious of him. Great guy, very nice, helpful and quite funny.

The food - 4 star. Breakfasts you order off a small menu. The french toast is great and I had a cheese omelet almost every day. It comes with meat and toast. Dinners are what he serves you, but other guests said if you have special dietary needs to just let Pierre know and he will accommodate you. The food is fabulous. Each meal starts with a large salad family style - different every night. Once night it had smoked salmon in it. Another was a plate of tomatoes, feta cheese, peppers, onions and celery in a balsamic vinagrette. Dinner features homemade french bread which is to die for. We had some type of fish every night except one. Oh, one meal instead of salad he served french onion soup. It was the best I have ever had.

We plan to go back next year. Our timing (Jan 1 - 8) was a bit cool, especially nights. But we had sun every day except one and with the heat of the sun it was probably low 70's. The water was chilly, not a concern for us being from upstate NY. If you snorkle too far off the bay (which we did) there are sharks, which once cut our snorkling short. But hey, this is the caribbean and you are a good ways out from the "tourist islands".

Summary: this is a bit like camping in a cabin with running water and gourmet food. The location is isolated and beautiful. Long Island is beautiful. This is not for everyone - I would think young kids would lose their minds here. We gleaned the clients are mostly fishermen and couples like us who wanted to relax and enjoy the beach/water (and do a little fishing). Do rent a car and see the island. And do not believe what you read about Pierre. He is a very nice man. Just go in with the proper expectations (as we did) and you will be glad you discovered Chez Pierre.

ps - also a lot of whining about the road to his resort (he is about a mile off the main road, i.e. the only road, which goes from north to south - you cannot get lost here!). We found that all the roads on the island once you get off the main one are rocky and sandy. We had to park about a mile short of Columbus point and hike the rest of the way. Our rental car could not do it (a jeep or suv could). They only got their main road 15 years ago! So watch out for bad drivers!! Oh, and check out Max's Conch House in Deadman's Key. Very cool place.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tkfromroch
Manhattan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

There are many things that make Chez Pierre a great resort. It's own private beach cove; the former 3 star Michelin rated chef who serves up the best food on the island bar none (if not some of the best food period); and if the setting and food weren't enough- this place should top the list of environmentally friendly resorts. Pierre deserves an award as his resort design includes a rare "green" element. The resort is entirely run on solar and wind power. Kudos to the owner!

I can't say enough good things about the place, especially the value. My wallet thanked me. I even loved the witty, intelligent, semi-sarcastic banter with the host who was incredibly funny and charming in his own unique way. As a native New Yorker who resides in downtown Manhattan I truly appreciated the escape Chez Pierre was. It was a perfect getaway for us. However, I would caution the "high maintenance" traveler or the "control freak' to note a few things:

This is a rustic experience and represents a real escape- that means no TV and phones in the bungalows. Also- while everything is quite clean and well maintained in the bungalows, they are rustic. The beds are comfortable but don't look for 500 thread Egyptian cotton sheets...you won't find them. Also, be prepared for the brackish water in the bungalows. I admit I didn't know how I would feel about taking a shower in brackish water having sensitive skin, but it was totally fine- it is a non- issue and Pierre provided ample fresh drinking water to take to the bungalows. Fresh water is only about 300 feet away at any given moment. I loved that the host asked us about food allergies when we arrived and never once did I pick up a menu at dinner. He surprised us with what was freshest each night....and never disappointed in the least. I enjoyed our mystery dinners. They were generous portions and included salad, appetizer, entree and desert. Last, I have seen much ado about the reputation of the owner and host Pierre. Don't look for Pierre to kiss your butt in a faux manner. It isn't his style. That said, he is polite, pleasant, accommodating and funny in a witty sarcastic way. He asks little given he is running a place on an island that receives food once or twice a week by ship so naturally planning is essential- thus reservations are required (not for bungalow guests). He also has hours for breakfast and dinner- the man has to sleep sometime. He was always accommodating with packing lunches for spontaneous picnics, island exploration or bone fishing with the famed fish guide with a sixth sense "Locksley". It is worth it- go fishing!

I loved this adventure. It may not be for everyone but it was beautiful, relaxing and yes even romantic. I woke up naturally by the sun each morning and fell asleep reading to the sound of waves lapping 25 feet in front of the bungalow. I would recommend it - especially for the value.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Winnipeg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2009

We spent 5 nights at Chez Pierre and felt (overall) that it was a very good value. We paid $150 per night, which includes breakfast and dinner for 2 people. The cabins on the beach are cute, with just the basics that we needed. It was very clean and comfortable, with a screened-in porch facing the beach.

The setting is gorgeous, in a calm bay and we were usually the only ones on the beach. We definitely saw prettier beaches on Long Island (eg. the beach at Gordons and at Cape Santa Maria), but it was still great for relaxing at sunset or if you just want to spend a day close to the cabin. We loved Long Island and found a lot of cool things to see & do.

The food was excellent. Every night we were there, for dinner he served a very generous-sized appetizer, a seafood dish, and ice cream for dessert. It was the best food that we had on Long Island, by far! Based on the average prices for food in restaurants in the Bahamas, I would think each dinner would've cost us at least $40 each. Breakfasts were also very good, which included french toast or eggs, with meat, fruit and coffee.

And the last great thing about Chez Pierre is their efforts to be eco-friendly. The use alternative energy sources (wind & solar) to run the place.

Now for a few negatives:
The biggest thing that bothered us while we were there was the bad vibes that the host exudes. We never expected to be waited on or get any special treatment, but even if we asked a simple question we would get some snide remark or attitude from him. And you can't just avoid him because he's usually the only one there! We tried to ignore his bad attitude but by the end of the 5 days, it was kind of getting us down. As a host you would think you would try a little bit at least to be somewhat friendly!

Another thing that was disappointing was the unpredictable nature of the restaurant. There is a sign posted with the breakfast, lunch and dinner hours, but we stayed around for lunch one day and there was no one there to run the restaurant.

Some minor annoyances:
-running water is often not available during certain times of the day (they turn off the generator that runs the water pump)
-lots of flies on the beach
-the road leading to Chez Pierre is in terrible shape (if you're renting a vehicle, try to get a truck!)

I would definitely give this place a 5/5 review if it wasn't for the unfriendly nature of the host. You'd be surprised (as we were) how much that can spoil the mood of your vacation!

• Liked — beautiful setting/great food
  • Disliked — host's attitude
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jocelynrad
Earth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

This place is special. We expected a room as descibed on the web page, good food, great beaches, turquoise waters and just a relaxing time. And that is exactly what we got!

In fact we stayed during low season and there was not much going on .. which made it even better.

The island is beautiful, but do not expect too many tourists and touristic places.

Last but not least, your host Pierre is a real character who makes the place special. We really enjoyed it and are planning to return already - guess that says it all...

Stayed July 2008
#1 of 2 in Clarence Town
Harbor Breeze Villas
Harbor Breeze Villas
#1 of 2 in Clarence Town

Been to Chez Pierre Bahamas? Share your experiences!