“My slice of heaven”

Ranked #1 of 4 Emmetten B&B and Inns
Granite Bay, California
“My slice of heaven”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I have traveled with EF for 17 years and I have requested the Hotel Engel for the last 16. The owners are also the staff and they take care of your every need. The location is a postcard of what Americans think of Switzerland. When one of my students had a serious medical issue, the owner lent me her car so we would not have to wait for a taxi late in the night. The food is the best on the trip. Not only is it excellent but the boys in particular love it when the staff comes around for seconds on just about everything.

Room Tip: Rooms are quaint. The best rooms look out the front of the hotel. Listen for the cows with their b...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NomadR64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Travelled here with an EF tour group. This place has gorgeous scenary all around it! We had french doors in our room which opened up onto a patio. The view was purely mountains and trees. The rooms were very clean and pretty big considering four women were sharing the suite. Bathroom was actually quite large. The only downside to this hotel would be the smoke smell. Although we did not smell it in our rooms, the smell downstairs in the restaurant was not great. (smokers were in a room seperately on that floor, in the bar). Went for a walk around the area that night and it was so quiet, hardly any cars. Travelling down the street, you could get an amazing view of the lake down the mountainside. The location is beautiful, but it is a bit of a drive to get to town.

Room Tip: If you cannot do stairs, this place has quite a few stairs.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I also stayed here with an EF Tours Group. I found this hotel to be the nicest in our tour also. The layout of our room was a little odd, as the sink was not in the bathroom. No big deal, we were only sleeping there. The room was clean, the staff were very accommodating to the group. All the food was homemade. The WIFI was spotty though. But, you can't beat those views.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
McMinnville, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I was travelling with an EF Tours group and stayed here two nights. It was one of the better hotels we encountered during our travels. It is an older facility, but it is clean. My wife and I were pleased with the food. We are vegans and the kitchen staff did a really good job catering to our dietary needs. We will never forget the little bowl of fruit for dessert on the first night. Everyone else was envious of our dessert. If there is a negative, it have to be the smoking in the bar area. If you're a non-smoker you'll have to hold your nose every time you go downstairs. If you don't like the smoke, you might also make sure your room is not right over the bar. Some of our fellow travelers told us the smell seeped right through to their room. Despite these nuisances, I would still rate this hotel highest of all the hotels we stayed at during our trip to Switzerland, Italy and France.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gregrains
Ogdensburg, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

I loved my stay at the Hotel Engel, the restaurant downstairs was great. The room was clean and had a great view of the mountains. I went with a tour group of twentysomethings. I would stay there again! I stayed in August 2006.

Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Rapallo, Italy
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I've chosen this hotel, because I was looking for a place in Central Switzerland to spend my 5 days holiday, and I have to admit that it was worthwhile to choose this one. Family runned, the owner and her daughter spoke a perfect Italian, the staff was very friendly indeed. My Room was n°21, a double room for a single occupancy, was simple but OK and especially very silent notwithstanding almost directly heading to the main street. The restaurant was more than great, with Nidwaldner and Swiss specialities (mainly based on meat) of a incredible high level, in my own opinion really deserving a Michelin star!!! Free parking available.
The only two things not OK were the smoky bar (but Swiss law about the possibility to smoke in public locals is different according the canton you are...), and the free Wi-Fi connection, available just at the bar and the restaurant at the ground floor (but the hotel-website, Booking.com and other websites honestly reports it!)
A really nice place however, that I suggest to every kind of tourist that is looking for a hotel in Central Switzerland, with a resonable relationship quality/price, not easy to find according to the actual exchanging rate Euro/CHF.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank stifen70
Preston
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed at this lovely hotel during a touring trip in September. We had travelled from the F1 in Monza and had encountered terrible traffic made worse with thunderstorms and heavy rain. A journey that should have aken two hours took five and when we arrived at the hotel at 10pm we hadn't eaten for 10 hours.
Although the restaurant had closed we were provided with a lovely meal and I can't tell you enough how welcome that was! The language was a barrier (our fault not theirs) but despite this the staff were exceptionally friendly and hospitable.
The hotel was very traditional which was perfect and the rooms were very clean. When we awoke in the morning and were finally able to see out, we were amazed with the wonderful location, a really pretty spot.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough, it was perfect.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emmetten
Seminarhotel Seeblick
Krone Buochs - Hotel & Restaurant
Park Hotel Vitznau
Park Hotel Vitznau
#1 of 6 in Vitznau

Been to Hotel Engel? Share your experiences!