“Great Pub and Immaculate Rooms”

The Plume of Feathers
The Plume of Feathers
Ranked #3 of 4 Crondall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 November 2011

My husband and I have been going to The Plume of Feathers for over 10 years now and have always had a great experience. A couple of weeks ago after parents evening we had a bar meal and the fish was very fresh and a very generous portion. Whilst on trip advisor i happened to see some of the negative comments about the accommodation and mentioned this to the Landlord Julian, he got the room keys and showed us the rooms. They were immaculate and very cosy. My husband has worked in the property industry for over 35 years and I worked in it for 12 years and we have seen alot of places. This does not deserve some of the negative comments it has been given and that's why I felt strongly about adding a review. You must go and visit this beautiful pub, with friendly Landlords and locals.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank COX4

Reviewed 14 November 2011

We were in the area for a family birthday and were recommended to stay here by some friends who live in the village. OK, it's not the Four Seasons Hotel (situated 3 miles down the road) but it's one quarter of the price to stay at the Plume of Feathers. The pub is several hundred years old and is what Americans would call 'quaint'. There is a cosy front bar area with a wood burning stove and seating for about 30 people at smart matching wooden tables and chairs. The best table is a large recessed one which will comfortably sit 6 (or maybe 8 at a push if you were all quite friendly). There are several real ales and also a number of lagers and cider on tap. I was a bit surprised at the prices, but there again it isn't a Wetherspoons and there was no shortage of what I assumed to be locals there drinking (who tend to crowd the bar a bit). The wine list is reasonably priced with a good selection and there are also about a dozen different wines available by the glass. The restaurant area is at the back of the pub with its own bar counter and you can see into the restaurant from the bar. The restaurant is cosy and nicely decorated and sits about 30 people I would guess. We did not dine in the restaurant but it is possible to choose from the restaurant menu and eat in the bar, which is what we did (there are different menus for the bar and restaurant). The place was reasonably busy on the night of our visit with three or four tables of diners in the bar area and what appeared to be a big group of 20+ in the restaurant. The staff all seemed to know what they were doing and our first courses arrived within about 15 minutes of ordering. Service was quick and efficient and the food was excellent.
The room although small was more than adequate (there are 3 of them, all sleep 2 people) - after all it's only somewhere to sleep and shower in the morning. Everything was spotlessly clean and there was plenty of hot water. It does say on the pub website that the rooms are converted stables so we were expecting something compact - you could swing a cat around if you were so inclined but then I guess you would be in trouble with the RSPCA.
A proper English breakfast is an extra tenner and is available from about 7.30am. It was very good and worth the extra charge.
I would have no hesitation in recommending the Plume of Feathers both as a place to go for a decent meal or as a place to stay overnight.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank michaelc1918
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My room was booked by my boss online, as my stay was part of a business trip. This is a very pretty, period public house situated in a tiny village with only one shop (that unfortunately shuts at lunchtime on Wednesdays). The pub itself seems nice, and they serve a selection of resonably priced meals and bar snacks. I was quite enthusiastic about my stay UNTIL I was shown to my room. What I had presumed was a garage, was in fact the accomodation provided here. I stayed in what is marketed as a double room (ok, it did contain a double bed), but the room was EXTREMELY tiny - the same size as a horse's stable - which is apparantly what it used to be! The ensuite bathroom was also microsized, but adequate for a single person. Unfortunately, a bar of soap with hairs stuck to it was left on the sink (there was also an unopened bar provided) and no shower gel/shampoo. The usual coffee and tea making facilities were present in my room, but one of the mugs and a teaspoon hadnt been washed after the previous occupants use. I didnt bother to complain as I was only stopping for the one night and it was just a place to sleep, but to say I was disappointed would be putting it mildly! The rooms are situated in the beer garden/smoking area (there are tables right outside the door!), and I was just grateful that it was a cold, wet night because I could hear the pub customer's that were using the smoking area as loudly as if they had been in my room with me. The reply that the owner has made about the insulation between the rooms will be in order to comply with building regulations for habitation - it makes no difference at all to sound transference from the beer garden through the entrance door to the room. What the noise level is like on busy summer evenings, Im glad I didnt find out. My room was priced at £50 for one night without breakfast, which is an additional £10 - I was in no mood to take them up on the offer after seeing my room. I feel that £60/night bed & breakfast for the room I stayed in is extortionate compared to whats also available on Late Rooms.com at short notice (which is how my booking was made). I would not recommend even one night in the room I stayed in to anyone - unless you are a horse, and dont mind overpriced livery.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank SteveLench186378
Plumeoffeathers, Owner at The Plume of Feathers, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2011

This guest was booked in by his boss on the lunchtime of his arrival by phone, not via Late Rooms. We are not on the Late Rooms web site.
On his arrival his was rude to a member of staff because he could not get the television working (it was not turned on!) and complained that breakfast was not being provided. His boss had specifically said that only the room was being paid for.
We charge £50 per night for a very comfortable room with en-suite shower and toilet and an extra £10 for a full English breakfast if required.
On checking the Late Rooms web site, comparable accommodation is at least £10 more per night.
He complained about the size of the room (our web site explains the facilities that we have) and was obviously not happy. We offered our apologies but explained that as the booking had been made by his company he should contact his boss.
We did not see the guest again and the room was vacant when we checked in the morning.
The Velux window in the roof had been broken and propped fully open all night and the toilet had been blocked. Perhaps, if the guest had not left the window wide open, he would not have heard the noise from the courtyard.
The noise from the courtyard comes from pub and restaurant customers using our outside smoking area which is located by the side of the pub and not by the rooms. We close at 11.00 at night and after 11.20 the courtyard is in silence.
As the guest did not make any complaints to us, we cannot comment on his cleanliness issues but can only state that the rooms are cleaned thoroughly every morning with fresh soaps, towels and linen being provided for new guests.
We are sorry that the occasional guest does not enjoy their stay but can only stress that we have compact, yet comfortable rooms, at a very reasonable price and offer a warm and friendly pub and restaurant for guest to relax in.
Please read other reviews on ours and comparable web sites.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

Nice pub, great beer, great service and menu.

Rooms are very compact but well decorated and very clean and tidy - fine for one or two nights.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I booked this accomodation thinking the reviews were fine. How wrong was I! If you don't mind staying in a coverted stable, then that's fine. A pokey room with a tiny skylight as a window. How 2 people could stay in these rooms is beyond me, not even enough room for a bedside cabinet as the bed is pushed up against the wall to make room for it. Cold at night and that was October so the Winter months must be freezing. Thin walls, so you could hear everything from next door. The en suite isn't much better, very small. The door opens inwards with a stupid latch sticking out, which I cut my arm on. The restaurant was expensive and so was the beer. Meals are not served until 7 pm, so after a hard days work it is too late to eat. I skipped breakfast as this was a rip off too (Ten pounds) and not included in the price as another reviewer states.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank GrayB58
Plumeoffeathers, Owner at The Plume of Feathers, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

We are sorry that this guest did not enjoy his stay.
This was an on-line booking so the guest will have been aware of the facilities that we offer with descriptions, photographs and reviews on our web site.
Our rooms are situated in a converted stable block adjacent to the rear courtyard giving every guest complete and private access 24 hours a day.
The rooms have sound proof insulation with-in the dividing walls but, unfortunately, some sound will travel between the rooms
The rooms are not particularly big but have a very comfy double bed, wardrobe, desk and digital TV.
The en-suite rooms have a WC, large basin and shower enclosure.
All the rooms are insulated and centrally heated.
We are a small village pub/restaurant that provides accommodation and we serve food lunch times between 12.00 and 2.30 and evenings between 7.00 and 9.30.
Our breakfast comprises limitless fruit juice, tea and coffee, full English or Continental breakfast with toast, jams and marmalade.
Whilst we do charge £10 for the breakfast, it is an option and we only charge £50 per night per room.
The guest did not make any complaints to us during his stay and indeed had a meal and a few drinks in the bar in the evening.
We do try to ensure that all our guests enjoy their stay here with both the comfort of the rooms and the quality of food and drinks that we serve.
Please read our other reviews on trip advisor and also the reviews on our on line booking web site.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

The room we stayed in was in a separate converted outbuilding off the rear beer garden/patio. The room was ensuite but quite small with enough room for a double bed and wardrobe - it was a tight squeeze for anything else. It was a comfortable nights' sleep. We had an evening meal in the restaurant which was tasty and slightly overpriced. We felt that we should have eaten in the bar where the menu boards offered better value along with a good atmosphere. We had a full english breakfast that was included in the price of the accommodation - this was good.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We didn't stay over, so couldn't pass any comments on the accommodation. The pub was lovely, nice decked area at the back or you can sit out the front of the pub. Good selection of ales and a huge selection of food. We had one of their specialty meals 'the club' which was enormous and tasted great.

I'd definitely go back again for lunch or dinner, as the inside restaurant looked really cosy.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Been to The Plume of Feathers? Share your experiences!