“Sunday lunch with dad!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Having dined at this restaurant previously, decided to visit again to take my dad out for Sunday lunch, and was not disappointed.

Was given a warm welcome by the staff, and owner, and sat in the bar with pre dinner drinks perusing the menu.

The menu was a set menu - 3 courses for £18.95, and considering you can pay this amount for 2 courses at a pub nowadays, seemed really good value. Can recommend the duck and orange pate, and my dad's still raving about the avocado with melted cheese. Had the stuffed lemon sole on garlic spinach for main, which was light and delicious, and left room for the exquisite tiramisu!

For a three course meal for four people, including bottle of wine, and coffee for £99 is terrific value, and was a most enjoyable experience, and will definitely return!

Bellissimo!

1  Thank Alex H

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Despite living in the area for 12 years, sadly we'd never heard of Peppone's, and that's a great shame, as we had an absolutely superb evening out with lovely food, and were well looked after by the friendly staff.

The whole place has apparently been refurbished fairly recently, and they have made an excellent job of it, it looks top-notch and the decor is crisp and clean, and the toilets are definitely worth a visit ! A lot of restaurants could learn a lot from what they've done here.

On arrival we were welcomed into the bar area, and ordered drinks before being shown to our table. Although there was a party of 12 nearby we experienced great service, and my sirloin steak was cooked to perfection and my partners duck was superb.

We weren't under any pressure to eat up and go, as you feel in some restaurants, and the owner even came over for a chat with 2 glasses of wine which he gave us for free !!

This restaurant is now certainly on my list of favourite places to eat, and i've already recommended it to my friends, and will be going back again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We ate here for the first time last night with a tastecard and were really impressed: lovely staff, great food and a good atmosphere. There was a big birthday party going on in the other room but the staff still seemed to take great care over us, first bringing us drinks at the bar, before the chef came over and offered us 'the proper Italian experience' (his words!). The four course meal we had wasn't on the menu - it was an antipasti to start, then pasta with a meat and tomato sauce, followed by three different meats in different seasonings with potatoes and vegetables, and finally a sort of chocolate and caramel cheesecake for dessert. Every course was delicious - we both agreed that it was one of the best Italian meals we'd eaten. For the dinner for two plus two glasses of wine the bill came to £40 with the tastecard discount. We will definitely be returning!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The staff lost our order, the chef/owner blamed us for this failing and was extremely rude to us for complaining. Then served us a lasagne that was so overcooked and dry that it was impossible to cut the crust. After further complaints from us he refunded our money, great but we had a ruined day and were still hungry.

5  Thank rgrmcd
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Looked at previous good reviews and I decided to book for a family birthday. We decided to look at the fixed price 3 course Sunday Lunches Menu and ordered our preferences which turned out to be totally misleading (only found out when paying the bill). What we thought would be a choice of 6 main courses was only 1 choice of roast pork and no prices were given for the other choices for their Sunday lunches shown on the same menu, which would have made this a lot clearer and also give us some indication of what we would be charged! My Sunday roast pork was delivered beautifully cooked but alas the roast potatoes and vegetables arrived 20 mins later, this affected 3 meals and wasn't eaten! Although the staff were very friendly and the food we had was cooked well, the cost was a lot more than expected. Two of the lighter desserts were off the menu and only fudge cake or treacle sponge cake offered. As we were celebrating back home with a birthday cake declined these choices. As 3 of us had the starters and main course (3 course fixed lunch price), we then ended up paying for a pudding which we didn't want! Because it was my birthday lunch I didn't want to complain, so went home to enjoy the rest of the day and then my daugher who is an accountant looked at my total bill and worked out that I had been £8 overcharged as well. She telephoned and was told to call and collect the amount and have a free tea! I would like to point out that there were only 6 other people dining on this particular Sunday. Sorry to say I wont be returning, which is a shame as the food we had was cooked well, staff were friendly, the setting was lovely but the service and misleading menu apalling!

2  Thank Gillian P