“Beautiful manor house and fab breakfast”
Review of Fyfield Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Benson
Fyfield Manor
Ranked #1 of 2 Benson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My family and I have just had a lovely bank holiday weekend at Fyfield Manor. We were in the family room which was huge with a great shower. I felt like we were in a hotel with all the lovely toiletries and the towels were crisp, clean and fresh. My son even managed to stay in his own bed for the first time ever! We were given fresh milk to have with our tea and plenty of biscuits and an absolutely fantastic breakfast, with eggs from their own chickens and local bacon. Christine made us feel very welcome and we will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 April 2013

just spent 2 nights here together with 4 friends so we occupied all 3 rooms. We found the dining room was full of character and the breakfast ample. Nice large bedrooms & the beds were comfy. However, its the first place we've stayed at for a long time that didn't have even a packet of biscuits in the rooms to go with the tea & coffee etc! Also in all 3 rooms we found the towels to be extremely hard instead of nice & fluffy, plus one of ours was torn, not what I would expect for paying guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
chris_fyfield, Owner at Fyfield Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

Feed back is always welcome and should result in a positive outcome. Over the years I have made various changes as a result of guest suggestions. Recognising this my welcome letter in the information pack in each room says '......I hope you will have a happy and comfortable stay with us. However....please do not hesitate to let me know if you require anything else to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I can be contacted.........'

I am therefore baffled as to why the reviewer made no attempt to speak to me directly so that I had the opportunity to rectify the problems. Had he/she done so both matters could have been resolved immediately.
1. biscuits - Recently I changed from putting small sealed packets of biscuits in the rooms to offer a selection of biscuits (minced pies in winter) when I offered fresh milk for tea on arrival. I had not considered that guests not wishing for milk might still like biscuits . I have now solved this by putting biscuit tins in each room with a selection of biscuits on arrival. (gluten free are on request).

2. Towels- I have , of course removed the torn towel. It had a small tear along the bottom corner of one edge that was most likely caused in the washing process. I think it goes without saying that I would not purposely put a torn towel in a guest bedroom (or even my own) regardless of whether one was paying or not. The towels are all of good quality (John Lewis 100% cotton) and replaced regularly. All the linen is checked twice after washing - first by me after the drying process and then by a member of staff who 'does' the rooms. However no system is infallible and it is regrettable that is this case it failed.. However as I offer fresh towels each day if required I would really have appreciated the guest bringing my attention to this. I could have replaced the towel straight away.

3. Hard towels -The towels are washed on a hot wash and dried on airers in natural light in a large airy conservatory. This method both limits the impact on the environment (the ethos of Fyfield has always been one of being environmentally friendly and my web site and place of advertising confirm this) and ensures high hygienic levels for the guests.

However this method does give a rough finish to the towels. Before I replied to this review I have spent some time getting feed back from guests and people in general for their preferences. I was surprised at how many actually preferred a rougher towel. Most didn't mind as long as it was clean and fresh and 'did the job'. and some preferred a softer finish. Having experimented a bit I feel I have come up with a reasonable compromise by giving the towels a brief fluff in the dryer at the end of the natural drying. I realise that I am never going to please everyone and on request I can easily soften them further.

In conclusion I, like most B/B owners, take a pride in our homes and what we have to offer. Most of us are happy to act on any feed back and it is very upsetting when guests make no attempt to approach us first. I am pleased to say that over the years the majority of guests have been very positive and helpful in any improvements that I can make and we enjoy sharing our home with them.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

My Family and I stayed at Fyfield manor over easter whilst visiting relatives, My sister and I shared the old nursery which was beautifully decorated and had a lovely shower. My mother and auntie stayed in the blue room again a lovely large room with a bath. We were made to feel welcome by Christine who was very attentive and helpful with directions to local sites and attractions. The breakfasts were delicious particularly the eggs and bacon. All in all a great stay will definatly be back again

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night in the Nursery. A charming and beautifully decorated room, with a lovely big bed. We enjoyed a warm and cosy night, followed by a delicious breakfast. We could not have been made to feel more welcome and comfortable. Many thanks!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Just another one night stay in the Nursery.
As always very welcoming, warm and comfortable.
It was a very windy night but the room was very cosy.
Lovely big bed.
Location very convenient to visit family.

Room Tip: You will not be disappointed with any room. Just let The host know of any preferences and she will a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2013

these people couldnt have done more to make us welcom. we traveled 12 thousand miles for this and it was worth every mile. outstanding. cant wait to go back! the room was HUGE the breakfast. man i've never had bacon that good. these kiwis are more than happy

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Fyfield Manor for one night on our way from the south coast to Northampton. Before we arrived I telephoned to ask for recommendations on places to eat. Christine was very helpful and told us about 2 local pubs. The manor house is set in gorgeous grounds with a lovely water feature out front. Our room was very large and comfortable and included a big flat tv and sofa. Our private bathroom was just next door rather than en suite but, together with our room, it was privately contained on a mezanine level so it was perfectly fine. We had a corner bath with a shower attatchment rather than a shower cubicle. There were plenty of lovely toiletries too.

We had decided on local pub The Crown for dinner which was a half mile stroll away. Food and service there was great and we had a very enjoyable evening. The South African landlord even came to our table to check our meals had been okay which was nice.

Back at Fyfield our bed was very comfy and we got a good nights sleep. Breakfast was a home grilled full English by Christine using local produce and was delicious. The dining room was as gorgeous as the rest of the house. Before we left Christine kindly showed us the other rooms as well as the private self catering house which had been built by her son. It was all really lovely and the careful way in which all materials had been sourced from the grounds was a great touch. The original parts of the house were fascinating.

We would definitely recommend Fyfield Manor and would love to stay again if
we're ever that way.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank fragal

Been to Fyfield Manor? Share your experiences!