“Fantastic”
Review of Fyfield Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Benson
Fyfield Manor
Ranked #1 of 2 Benson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Fantastic place and wonderful hosts. We really enjoyed our stay and the house is really beautiful, a real privilege to stay in. Christine and her husband are the friendliest hosts ever - I came away with loads of advice and the best nights sleep in 17 months!
Kate & Fred

• Stayed: January 2014
chris_fyfield, Owner at Fyfield Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you for your positive review. It was a pleasure sharing our home with you and look forward to seeing you again.

Christine

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Visiting Fyfield Manor is a real privilege. I only stayed one night as I had business close by, but will definitely stay again.

Christine is a wonderful hostess, breakfast was just as I wanted, and the room was exceptional.

It's also good to see a sensible reduction for single occupancy, excellent value at £60 per night in total luxury.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
chris_fyfield, Owner at Fyfield Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

many thanks for your positive review. it was very much appreciated and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Thank you Chris for letting us stay in your beautiful house. To anyone considering a stay here you wont be dissapointed, unfortunately for us our stay was very short (just one night) but we will be back, next time we will sample the breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Absolutely lovely place, wonderful décor and so charming. The host Christine is a lovely classy lady and cooks a great tasty healthy breakfast. The blue room is gorgeous and the view of the gardens is something anybody would want to wake up to. The other rooms are equally charming and it was a great experience staying there. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We recently stayed for two nights at Fyfield Manor. A beautiful manor house, full of character and charm.
We stayed in the blue room which over looked the gardens. The room was exceptional, spacious and very comfortable. Our host Christine made us feel very welcome and her breakfast were excellent. Certainly recommended!

Room Tip: We only stayed in the blue room which would highly recommend.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My family and I have just had a lovely bank holiday weekend at Fyfield Manor. We were in the family room which was huge with a great shower. I felt like we were in a hotel with all the lovely toiletries and the towels were crisp, clean and fresh. My son even managed to stay in his own bed for the first time ever! We were given fresh milk to have with our tea and plenty of biscuits and an absolutely fantastic breakfast, with eggs from their own chickens and local bacon. Christine made us feel very welcome and we will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2013

just spent 2 nights here together with 4 friends so we occupied all 3 rooms. We found the dining room was full of character and the breakfast ample. Nice large bedrooms & the beds were comfy. However, its the first place we've stayed at for a long time that didn't have even a packet of biscuits in the rooms to go with the tea & coffee etc! Also in all 3 rooms we found the towels to be extremely hard instead of nice & fluffy, plus one of ours was torn, not what I would expect for paying guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
chris_fyfield, Owner at Fyfield Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

Feed back is always welcome and should result in a positive outcome. Over the years I have made various changes as a result of guest suggestions. Recognising this my welcome letter in the information pack in each room says '......I hope you will have a happy and comfortable stay with us. However....please do not hesitate to let me know if you require anything else to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I can be contacted.........'

I am therefore baffled as to why the reviewer made no attempt to speak to me directly so that I had the opportunity to rectify the problems. Had he/she done so both matters could have been resolved immediately.
1. biscuits - Recently I changed from putting small sealed packets of biscuits in the rooms to offer a selection of biscuits (minced pies in winter) when I offered fresh milk for tea on arrival. I had not considered that guests not wishing for milk might still like biscuits . I have now solved this by putting biscuit tins in each room with a selection of biscuits on arrival. (gluten free are on request).

2. Towels- I have , of course removed the torn towel. It had a small tear along the bottom corner of one edge that was most likely caused in the washing process. I think it goes without saying that I would not purposely put a torn towel in a guest bedroom (or even my own) regardless of whether one was paying or not. The towels are all of good quality (John Lewis 100% cotton) and replaced regularly. All the linen is checked twice after washing - first by me after the drying process and then by a member of staff who 'does' the rooms. However no system is infallible and it is regrettable that is this case it failed.. However as I offer fresh towels each day if required I would really have appreciated the guest bringing my attention to this. I could have replaced the towel straight away.

3. Hard towels -The towels are washed on a hot wash and dried on airers in natural light in a large airy conservatory. This method both limits the impact on the environment (the ethos of Fyfield has always been one of being environmentally friendly and my web site and place of advertising confirm this) and ensures high hygienic levels for the guests.

However this method does give a rough finish to the towels. Before I replied to this review I have spent some time getting feed back from guests and people in general for their preferences. I was surprised at how many actually preferred a rougher towel. Most didn't mind as long as it was clean and fresh and 'did the job'. and some preferred a softer finish. Having experimented a bit I feel I have come up with a reasonable compromise by giving the towels a brief fluff in the dryer at the end of the natural drying. I realise that I am never going to please everyone and on request I can easily soften them further.

In conclusion I, like most B/B owners, take a pride in our homes and what we have to offer. Most of us are happy to act on any feed back and it is very upsetting when guests make no attempt to approach us first. I am pleased to say that over the years the majority of guests have been very positive and helpful in any improvements that I can make and we enjoy sharing our home with them.

Been to Fyfield Manor? Share your experiences!