“Sunday Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 2 Benson B&B and Inns
Teddington, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Having eaten here before, we were delighted to discover that the pub had changed hands recently and that the Sunday Roast was even better; very fresh food, perfectly cooked and excellent value! The ambience was just what you would expect in a well-run pub (the pop music from the kitchen was perhaps,a trifle intrusive) and mine host was very welcoming He told us that the bar and accommodation were in the process of refurbishment. There is no doubt that we shall go back.
Helen and Malcolm Maclenan

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

Our recent visit to Crown Cottage was more like a stay with friends than a conventional B&B experience. Mrs Wollaston made a wonderful impression from the start, by having a tray of tea and biscuits waiting for us when we arrived, and giving us the run of her amazing collection of books. The house is beautifully furnished and crammed with interesting paintings, and our bedroom was large and comfortable - and warm, a very important point in this icy spring. We enjoyed excellent leisurely breakfasts and teatimes spent chatting with our hostess - altogether we could not have found a better place for a relaxing few days' break.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank statslady
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed here last night and I think I encountered the same bar maid as the guests who reviewed back in August 2012. Having read the reviews on trip advisor I prepared myself for the worst, expecting carpet stained rooms and dodgy lights and bathroom fittings but was fine with this given I got a good deal on late rooms. It was as people had warned me- really dated, tatty and noisey, but I was ok as I had armed myself with ear plugs and my own sleeping bag.

However, what I didn't expect was to be told that the heating in my rooms wasn't working but that I would be fine as "it would probably warm up eventually" and that it didn't matter anyway as I had a sleeping bag and hot water bottle. The room was as cold as the bar maids voice as she delivered the news, and seemed perplexed when I asked if she could go and see if there was another room available with heating. She scuttled off and came back with a key to another room, with heating I am relieved to say. Why they didn't put me in that room in the first place I later found out, as the ceiling light flickered on and off all night. Sleeping bag pulled over my head and ear plugs pushed firmly in i battled through the night and was relieved to be leaving sharpish the next day.

This place is fine as long as you are only paying £30 a night like i did and become prepared for the worst, including your own heater. Otherwise I would strongly recommend you find somewhere else more comfortable ane helpful - maybe stopping here for something to eat as by looking at the reviews here they do seem to do good food!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NPercival
Tim09347, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Please note that since June the Inn has new owners who are heavily investing in the business, especially the restaurant and hotel rooms. We welcome families and parties.
Stevenage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to try our luck at the crown on a late Sunday afternoon. They had stopped serving their Sunday roast but were kind enough to throw one together for us and we were so glad they did! As a chef myself I am always on the look out for new eating holes in the surrounding area and what a place! The food was absolutely stunning! Well seasoned, perfectly cooked and perfectly balanced! The staff were attentive to your every need (I didn't have to walk to be the bar once!) and catered for your every need, the restaurant was small and cosy and had a nice country pub ambiance to it! Needless to say we were extremely happy with the hospitality, the cuisine and the pub and will certainly be eating there on many more occasions, albeit slightly earlier than before!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Filey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

1st of all let me say how great the pub is, a listed buiding with character, great beers, great staff, great locals. Food in the Restaurant area is FANTASTIC and DELICIOUS.
However, the rooms leave a lot to be desired. We booked a double room with a bath (there is only one with a bath) as we were staying 2 nights to visit relatives at nearby RAF Benson.
The cost of the room was £55 per night for the room with NO breakfast! Very expensive.
On entering the room 1st impressions were good, it was very big with 2 big windows and a huge bed(turned out to be 2 singles fastened together) the bathroom was also huge. On closer inspection faults became apparent.
Carpets were disgusting and stained
Room door had to be loced on the inside before leaving and was very compicated to do (even staff member took 5 minutes to show us)
Nice dressing table adjacent to sockets for hairdryer but the only mrror was screwed to the wall some 12 feet away so was next to useless.
Fittings for a TV were in situ but there was NO TV!
No headboard on the bed
Towels cheap and small and inadequate for purpose
Shower did not work in bathroom
No bulb in light above bathroom mirror
There was always a wait of 15 minutes before you could flush the toilet
Very noisy rooms as ou are above a pub but music was played so loud that customers had to talk loudly to be heard causing a sleepless 1st night. Issue partially resolved the 2nd night as I asked Petra to turn music down which she did.

All in all, not a pleasant experience and shall not stay there again but will eat there (If allowed after this review!)

Room Tip: We had room 6 which is very big room with massive bathroom but take into acoiut all of the above
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnCasey29
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

Fortunately for the Crown Inn I have close friends who live directly opposite and it's a very convenient place to stay. Unfortunately it means I will again write here about the failings of what could be a lovely village pub.

Once again, while the room was clean on the surface it looked dated and the carpet was grubby and worn. The mattress was horrific with a dip in the middle and every spring felt. The shower again ran hot and cold instead of maintaining a set temperature. The whole room felt neglected.

Some friends stayed on the same night in another room and had a similar experience. Even their light fitting, with space for 3 bulbs, had one blown and another missing, leaving the room looking dark.

If there were anywhere else to stay in Benson, I would be staying there instead.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Portsmouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

My husband and I stayed in a local B&B which was within walking distance to the Crown so I can only comment on the food.

Food and service there was good and we had an enjoyable evening. I ordered a rump steak and although there seemed to be some confusion over where the steak originated (the waitress explained Oxford, the landlord said Africa!!) it was actually a very nice bit of steak. My husband ordered the 'speciality' spicy dish which he said was average. The landlord came to our table to check our meals had been okay which was nice.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benson
George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Streatley-on-Thames
The Coachmakers Arms
The Coachmakers Arms
#2 of 13 in Wallingford

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!