Meikleour Arms Hotel & Restaurant
Ballathie House Hotel(Stanley)(Great Value!)
US$124
Royal Hotel(Blairgowrie)
Ivybank Lodge(Blairgowrie)
Tayside Hotel(Stanley)
TripAdvisor
Bridge of Cally Hotel(Bridge of Cally)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdecanter of sherrythe cottagesthe black pudding scotch eggscampithe private dining roomcountry publight lunchsmall country hotelpub foodwee gemreturn visitliving areabooked a tablebeautiful countrysidewarm welcomebedroom cottageroaring fire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Stayed here with my on the last Saturday of January 2013 for dinner bed and breakfast. The room we were given (number 1) was very comfortable. Huge bed, well appointed room and bathroom. Very quiet annd peaceful.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the food at dinner and breakfast was excellent. Very good Inveralmond brewery real ale on hand pump.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms but number 1 was a lovely room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willie R
MeikleourHotel, Owner at Meikleour Arms Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Thank you for your review, Room 1 ( Mercer) is my favourite, with a double aspect window makes the room bright, and airy. Although you did not see other rooms they are all of the same standard, so another visit another room in the future maybe?

Reviewed 27 November 2012

Stayed 2 nights around Bonfire Night when weather was frosty. Rooms and hotel were cosy. Easy access from car park at the rear to a large ground floor bedroom and ensuite with bath/shower. Had our dog with us which was no problem although he did not like passing the stuffed animals in the hallway! Dining room was not busy and could choose a time for evening meal which was included in a dinner, b&b package. Service at table was friendly and efficient for both evening meals and breakfasts. Food and wine both of good standard. Wine more expensive than I would normally have but was good and package price meant that you could have any food on menu for the fixed price. Did not have time to experience the bar or the hotel during the day as on business in nearby Blairgowrie. On passing the bar seemed interesting with bar meal areas and was not at all noisy on the nights of our stay. Dining room very nice and very separate from the bar area. It is not a large hotel and there is not much public sitting areas outwith the bar and restaurant room. Would recommend access and ground floor rooms for anyone who has difficulty with stairs and also dog friendly. Village is very residential and quiet but that was no bad thing on Bonfire Night. Blairgowrie is about 10 minutes by car. Have stayed at similar hotels in the area which have been noisy on weekend evenings but this one was quiet and relaxing.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have easy access.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you found us quiet and relaxing, and hope that you might find the time to revisit the hotel at some time in the future.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

My wife and I had 2 nights in this hotel which we used as a base for walking in the general area. The welcome was great and we very much enjoyed the stay. The staff were very friendly and we has 2 excellent dinners. Thoroughly recommended and the awaiting glass of sherry was a nice touch. Donald and Caroline Davidson, Dunblane

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
MeikleourHotel, Owner at Meikleour Arms Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Tripadvisor, customer feedback is so important to us, and we are delighted that you both felt you had an enjoyable stay. We will be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Another superb and very relaxing stay at Meikelour! Given the numbers of guests they must deal with, I was amazed that the staff remembered us from our last stay, to the point where Kat was able to bandy stories of insurance claims with us, having remembered that we last visited following a flood at home. We were in a different room this time but one which was equally comfortable and well appointed, although there was a period of time on our first evening when we thought the people in the adjoining room were engaged in the European Door Slamming Championships! Thankfully they settled down and the rest of our stay was as relaxing and calm as our previous visit had been. A huge comfy bed ensured we both enjoyed two good nights' sleep, and the excellent and varied menu ensured we both ate far too much! Welcoming staff, delicious food and a relaxing atmosphere confirmed that our first impressions back in May were absolutely spot on. This is a wee gem of a hotel and I cannot recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SusieElins

Thank you for your kind words, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your return visit to the hotel, and that Cat made your stay so much more entertaining. We hope that you will be able to visit us again some time in the future.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed at Meikleour Hotel last week for 3 nights and were dissapointed. The bedroom was lovely with a super bathroom. The bedding was very good quality as were all the furnishings. On arrival both the room and the bathroom was freezing (and we are not used to centrally heated bedrooms) so much so that I thought the window must be open. I turned the radiators on and things warmed up after a while. The bar area was not what we expected of a 4 star hotel/inn. I know its important to have trade from locals but it could have been a bit smarter. There was a room between the bar /eating area and the restaurant which had a couple of nice sofa's in but it was a passing through room and where coffee was prepared and we did not feel comfortable sitting in there. The food was ok but nothing special and one huge sin I feel is to put things on the menu that never appear on the plate. I had the guinea fowl which (along with the chicken which I had the following evening) was beautifully moist but there was very little of the wild mushroom stuffing in the middle. Maybe I am being petty here? The cheese and biscuits should have appeared with chutney but we got apple and grapes which are fine but not as stated. As customers we do expect to get on the plate what we order off the menu. Drinks were reasonable value and the wine was good. Breakfast was a huge dissapointing for a £60 per person per night stay. I know its just about the end of the season but I would have thought some local fruit would have been offered bearing in mind we were staying in a huge fruit growing area. We got tinned grapefruit and prunes and apricot compote and yogurt and three choices of cereal. The bacon was probably the best we have ever had. When my husband asked for bacon, eggs and tomato he received one rasher of bacon, one egg and half a tomato and he was not happy. All in all we would not stay there again which is a shame because the rooms were lovely, the dinning/ breakfast room had lots of character and it was in a lovely area. In our minds it did not represent value for money and I think our £60 pppn could have been better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

I am terribly sorry that you felt that we did not come up to your expectations. It is always our intention to ensure that every guest has a positive experience when visiting the hotel, but obviously from your review you feel that we did not succeed. I have taken your points on board and relayed them to the staff.