“Inspiring Christmas”

Old Joe's Kaia
Nelspruit, Mpumalanga, South Africa
“Inspiring Christmas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

We were enchanted by the creative, environmentally friendly Christmas tree and decorations, the tasty and beautifully presented four course Christmas Eve dinner, friendly and efficient service and personally selected gift for each guest. Thank you to Marian, Paul, Dale and Melissa for giving us memories to treasure!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patbrink279

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
La Spezia, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

I spent only one night in this guest house on my way back home. Marian & Paul are very lovely hosts and they have a very good restaurant. There's a fabulous view from the balcony of the forest surrounding the area. The staff are very friendly and the log cabins are comfortable. But I found mine a little bit old with some parts of the room that would need to be renewed (especially the bathroom). That's why I gave only 3 stars.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

It was our end of year bike trip and we decided to stay over at Old Joe's Kaia which in situated in Schoemanskloof Mphumalanga. We unfortunatly only spent two nights there. The hosts Paul, Marianne and Dale and the staff are very friendly and the rooms are very well equipped for the weather and insects in Mphumalanga. Everything is thoughtfully included in the room, from air condirioners to umbrellas and insect repellent. Our room overlooked the beautiful gardens and the mountain. Paul suggested we take a ride to Kaapsehoop which we did the next morning.
It was an unforgettable ride thtough the mountains up to Kaapsehoop where we saw the wild horses. We had lunch and then on to Nelspruit and back to OJK.
Old Joe's Kaia in and excellent B&B and comes highly recommended and we will definitely visit again.

Joseand Andre Myburgh
Star Riders of South Africa

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Caterham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Driving straight from the airport after a flight from the UK on our way to the Timbavati we stayed at Old Joe's, sadly, only for only one night, we would have loved to have stayed more. Very hospitable hosts, a comfortable log cabin, fabulous views, and a lovely walk across the fields to the Crocodile river could only be topped by the most enjoyable meal of our two week holiday, beautifully cooked food eaten in a room full of quiet ambience. Really excellent value, I don't know how they do it for the price!

Room Tip: It wasn't a problem for one night (the road is very quiet at night), but our cabin was quite nea...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

I was a bit torn on what to write in this review because Marian & Paul are very lovely hosts and the food was really good but I feel like I have to be honest in my review to help other travelers make more informed decisions.

My boyfriend and I stayed for a night at Old Joe's. We booked Log cabin 5 because of one of the reviews here on tripadvisor. We arrived late and check-in was smooth but I was sadly let-down when we entered the cabin.

First of all, there were bugs everywhere. They left the windows open so the bugs and moths got in. I understand that it's in the middle of the forest so naturally there are bugs everywhere, but they could've at least kept the windows closed before we arrived so we didn't have to deal with the bugs.

Second, the cabin we stayed in was old. Everything functioned fine but I felt like for what we were paying, we deserved something more--this was one of the most expensive out of our garden route trip and it was the least impressive room.

Third, the sheets and towels smelled funny. They smelled used or old. I can't really explain it. I felt like they were used by someone else before and not washed--that was the sort of smell I got.

It was nice that they had delicious free cookies in there for guests but unfortunately that was the only highlight of the room we were in.

We were asked by our hosts if we enjoyed our stay and we couldn't bear to complain then and there because they're just so nice but I feel like I have to share our experiences truthfully.

On the positive side, the breakfast was amazing and dinner was really good as well--if it wasn't for the food, I would've given this place a poor rating instead of average. It is definitely worth a visit for breakfast, lunch, or dinner but to spend the night--I'm not so sure. Maybe they have other better rooms and I regret not asking to see other rooms when we arrived but log cabin 5 was a let down.

Room Tip: I read here that log cabin 5 was good and I booked it but when we arrived, I was disappointed--I fel...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank singmearainbow
KaiaOfJoe, Owner at Old Joe's Kaia, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Thank you for your honest feedback - we appreciate that it takes courage to write a review that is not totally complimentary and we are so sorry that the warm hospitality and delicious meals you received were not carried throughout your stay at Old Joe’s Kaia.
We have taken your review to heart and will resume the refurbishment programme (which has lagged behind over the past few months) with immediate effect. We also want to assure you that fresh linen and towels are used for every new guest that arrives. We suspect that even our brand new 200 Thread count cotton percale sheets could not withstand the recent high rainfall and humidity levels. This is certainly something we are paying attention to right now!
Thank you once again for bringing these important points to our attention, helping us to add more focus as we start the busy season. Kind regards, Paul and Marian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

We arrived in the evening and we had a great welcome! The owners are so relaxed and nice, that they do a lot to make your stay unforgettable. The lodges are clean but simple. The food is made with love and passion. The breakfast is great and the view from the dining room is in the morning very nice.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Roodepoort, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

I was there with a group of people doing landscape photography. The food was amazing, the service was above superb and the people are out of this world with their hosting. Though the plague only says 3 stars the place will be a 5 star for all those reasons to me.

I will definitely be going back there when I get a 4x4 to go to some of the other sites around the area for some more landscape shooting.

Room Tip: Lodge cabins are the best with their own decks. I stayed in the rondawels as well which are also bri...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schoemanskloof
Walkersons Hotel & Spa
#1 of 10 in Waterval Boven
Forest Creek Lodge & Spa
Forest Creek Lodge & Spa
#3 of 30 in Dullstroom

Been to Old Joe's Kaia? Share your experiences!