“Excellence at it's best!!”
Review of Old Joe's Kaia

Old Joe's Kaia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

A little piece of heaven on earth! Consistency to Excellence-whether you visit for a day, a week-end or for a Conference-is second nature to Paul and Marian. The rooms are beautiful with attention to detail that surprises you; the food is equivalent to the best you will find in any 5* restaurant any where in the world!!; the staff is friendly, helpful and competent and should you be looking for a venue to host your next Conference, Team Building or Strategic Session for Executives, you can make your booking with confidence!! Old Joe's will exceed your expectations! You can bet your bottom dollar ... we'll be back!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LydiaRoux
KaiaOfJoe, Manager at Old Joe's Kaia, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you Lydia for your stunning review of Old Joe's Kaia. We loved hosting you here and so look forward to your return and spoiling you some more!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

It really a wonderful, tranquil and serene environment. Great service and staff are very friendly. You immediately feel at home and its is just so relaxing. They have amazing food and a wine list to die for.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank LiezlHechter

Thank you Liezl for your fabulous review! Our wine list is ever changing and expanding as we discover more delights our South African vineyards offer. We would love to host you again and share this with you!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We are going through a terrible time in our lives, our daughter, who resides in Sabie has been diagnosed with terminal breast cancer stage 4. At this moment my wife is at her bedside 24/7.
We took a break by spending 3 nights at Old Joe's Kaia and were surprised by the tender care and compassion shared by the owners and staff. We could really recharge our body and soul, the area and atmosphere seems to cover you with tranquility and peace. The food and service were 5 star plus. We arrived as strangers and left with a lot of new friends. Accommodation in the wooden huts were great.

Room Tip: Choose accommodation that is not near to the road, the N4 tends to be noisy at times
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for allowing the peace and tranquility of Old Joe's Kaia to ease your pain in such a hard time. We are so, so sorry for your loss. Please return anytime as we are sure our tranquil surrounds will assist you to let go deeper.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here on our way to Kruger Park & on our return.
What an oasis, and pleasant experience - we hope to return.
It is so reasonably priced, and the food excellent.
The four course evening meals are a must, with drinks in one of the many
lounges before and after dinner.
The owners are excellent hosts.

Room Tip: Rooms 1,2,3,4, & 5 are well positioned away from the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank bozzies

Thank you for your lovely review! We so look forward to hosting you again in our exquisite oasis.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Old Joe's was a super escape from Johannesburg and the whole weekend experience surprised me from beginning to end. Ordinarily, I would always find something to complain about but I really cannot complain about Old Joe's without appearing petty.

The most memorable element of the experience was the food. Not overly fancy with pretentious sorbet courses and other obnoxious trickery; the food was of a very high standard and I enjoyed every meal. It is creative, fresh and interesting country cooking at its best.

The rooms are not the most luxurious and they would benefit from some extra fluffy towels and maybe a dressing gown, but they are comfortable and clean. Someone has gone to great lengths to give them their own character without being over the top, and there were some nice touches. I especially liked the discreet clean up and turn down which seemed to happen without ever being inconvenienced.

I spent the weekend playing games, reading and enjoying the food. We loved the "hidden" table in the dining room and it helped us turn every meal into an evening of just good company, reflection and relaxation.

I cannot complain about our experience here and I will definitely give it consideration again when I need that weekend away with my partner. Great value for money and we made some special memories.

Thanks to Paul and Marian, who are caring and attentive hosts.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road because sensitive sleepers might get disturbed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you Adam for loving it all here at Old Joe's Kaia! We are thrilled that there was nothing that seemed to irk you and so look forward to hosting you and your partner again soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We only spent one night here (in January, not June, 2013) but it was such a rich experience - having a wonderful 3 course home cooked meal of fish and veg in the evening, sleeping in a simple comfortable hut, getting up early to walk around the gardens including a maze of flowers, having a refreshing swim in the outdoor pool surrounded by greenery and having a great breakfast in the sunshine on the terrace. And the next day it was the start of a beautiful drive along the Waterfall Route.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you Anna for taking the time to write about your January visit with us! We are delighted that you loved it so much - and would love to host you here again one day.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My review, while not very current, since I left RSA in 2012, I feel is relevant because I got to experience Old Joe's on many an occasion, and even after around 10 visits, I can remember not just one thing that was special about every trip, but the fact that every trip was special! Be it climbing the hills across the road, walking through the orchard or labyrinth (when it was nothing more then a marked out path) or my personal favorite, painting Old Joe the Ghost with paint supplied by the staff at Old Joes as far back as the mid 90's. Me been an F1 fanatic, one year a race was on while I was there, and with me totally taking over the TV room just to watch the race, I was suddenly treated as if I was at the race itself and what I mean by that is "It is not Old Joe's, not it's amazing different decor and total tranquil peace one finds there that makes it special, it is it's staff. In all the times in 15yrs I visited there, sometimes as an unexpected guest just for lunch, I was treated like royalty!". The owners changed, the managers changed however most the staff was still there and I bet are still there today, and they are what makes Old Joe's a place a ghost would be proud to call home. Oh and by the way, the menu is something kings wish for, but be sure to ask for the butternut soup one night, it is heaven by the spoonful. I just clicked any date for travel time as I was there more then 10 times

Room Tip: Go for the bungalows
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your fabulous review! We love guests who come back time and time again, making our Country House a home with favorite family. We do hope you return soon and get to experience all the growth here. The labyrinth for one is stunning with well established indigenous plants and a veggie house that feeds us all with delicious organic ingredients. Come back soon, we will have the lounge ready and waiting for you!

The Old Joe's Kaia Team

Been to Old Joe's Kaia? Share your experiences!