“Fantastic!”

Macmillans Bistro and Coffee House
Price range: US$0 - US$39
Cuisines: British, Soups, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Lunch for my Father's birthday. From beginning to end, a delightful experience. Charming waitress, top notch scran, took a bottle of bubbly (no corkage!). Great value for food that would put many city centre restaurants to shame. Highlights were the smoked salmon starter on crostini served with horseradish crème fraîche. Seafood chowder was the best ever. Lovely strong coffee to finish. Will be back, and soon! Faultless.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“An Unassuming Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I am a frequent visitor through the doors of the Macmillians Bistro in Buchlyvie, the only thing that stops me from becoming a weekly one is the fear my thighs will not allow me to get back out again.

Many restaurants offer a varied and wide selection in their menu's but I often find they lack the fundamental skills to execute the basics, such as steamed veg and bread rolls, so why bother? What the Macmillians menu offers may be considered sparse but much more importantly what they deliver is exceptional quality, well proportioned, delicious dishes.

Don't let the unassuming building fool you into thinking this is another infamous eatery where mediocrity and the mere banishment of hunger pangs is met and where what you pay for and what you actually get don't seem to add up. The Bistro serves up exquisite mouthwatering food and plenty of it, for a fair price and with friendly approachable service all rolled into one immensely enjoyable dinning experience, what more could you ask for? I highly recommend the seafood chowder of which I can not sing enough praise about and if you have a sweet tooth any one of the spectacular desserts will more than satisfy your desire, the menu also offers up tasty options for diners of the vegetarian persuasion. I also appreciated the bring your own bottle, for which there is no charge for corkage. A top tip for customers on a budget is to pop in mid week when your bill will come to no more than your usual takeaway though I promise the difference in quality will be significant, I almost felt bad for paying so little for such incredible food, almost.

So bring a nice bottle of wine, bring a loved one, bring the family and most certainly bring your appetite because the Bistro is a dining experience to truly be savored.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Graeme B
“Christmas Day Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

My family and I booked Christmas Dinner at Macmillans as we have been there many times and never been disappointed. Unlike many restaurants, when serving meals on celebratory days, i.e Mothers Day, when service and food feels almost conveyor belt style, Macmillans got it spot on. David and Kellie staggered the booking times and this worked perfectly. The food was outstanding! There were five people in our company and with different starters, mains and desserts, all of us agreed that everything we ate was of an extremely high standard. This guy knows how to cook! Our only small complaint, and I have noticed this every time I eat there, even in summer time, is that the restaurant is never warm enough and on Christmas Day in particular, we were all very cold. Maybe some heavy curtains on windows that could be closed in the evening could help keep in the heat? I do hope that this could be addressed as this could change what is a wonderful dining experience into a PERFECT one.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank cssmith1960
Bath, United Kingdom
“friendly service and excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

My sister treated us to lunch - 5 adults and 4 children - on New Years Day. The only unenjoyable thing about the whole experience was having to choose what to eat, at the expense of missing out on all the other lovely things on the menu. In the end we went for a 3 course lunch as we didn't want to miss out on the sumptuous puddings - but beware - the portions are generous. Luckily we had walked and had worked up an appetite, and we weren't in a hurry so we were able to do justice to the beautifully crafted menu which fused local, seasonal ingredients with some of Scotland's finest fish, meat and haggis. The waitress was friendly and the service was excellent - considerate but not intrusive. The atmosphere is relaxed and the decor is casual - so it is a great family choice. I would thoroughly recommend it - and will go again. This restaurant, tucked away outside the Trossachs and on the outskirts of the Loch Lomond National Park - is a real find and could hold its own with London's finest.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Liz J
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“70th Birthday meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

14 adults visited on 28th Nov for a 70th birthday celebration evening meal.
We all chose from the Festive Menu so the meals varied. All guests were delighted with their choosen meal (starter, main and sweet) so difficult to highlight any particular dish. We were accomodated at the rear of the Bistro which was wonderful as there were also three children , all under 4 yrs.They were allowed to bring toys and play while the adults ate .
The "Birthday "Girl" along with the rest of the group all agreed it was a great night .The service was excellent as was the food (already stated). Have visited before and will do again.

• Visited November 2013