“Remote hotel with excellent food”
Review of Orasay Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lochcarnan
Orasay Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lochcarnan
Reviewed 27 May 2014

For such a remote location it is suprising that there is any type of hotel here at all, this is my 3rd visit here in as many years when I have to stay overnight while working at the Salmon factory down the road. I have'nt seen the de-luxe room but the basic ones are perectly fine for the business visitor, clean, homely and warm. The food is quite amazing in quality, quantity and value, and for Breakfast be careful if you ask for the full scottish as its doubtful you will finish it.
All in all "the jewel of Lochcarnan"

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We spent two nights here. My friend was in a single room that she was very happy with & we had one of the de-luxe rooms. The bed was huge & the deck was great as the weather was lovely. Views are gorgeous & the night sky was spectacular due to the lack of light pollution.

We had dinner on the first night & the food was fantastic.After a busy second day we had a very late lunch elsewhere so were not hungry in the evening.

The owners are warm & welcoming & i would have no hesitation recommending this hotel. My only gripe was that the pillows were too soft for me but that's my problem & not the hotels.

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe room if you want a great view & enjoy your morning cuppa outdoors.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank milguygirl
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Firstly, I think the people who have levelled criticisms of this hotel should appreciate this is a different world, the Outer Hebrides and not akin to city life (and all the better for that); or city standards. How pathetic (desperate?) to moan about potholes in the approach/driveway!
That said, accommodation is clean and comfortable and backed by a warm and genuine welcome.
Food is especially good, no wonder non-residents/locals come here for dinner, which is really enjoyable, good choice, well cooked and well served.
Would return if staying on South Uist.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My husband and I took a few days away to the Uists at the start of October 2013, and we got caught in some major weather. High winds, sheeting rain, and even hail at points. As motorcyclists, we have often found that a vacancy sign has suddenly been reversed as we turn round, but in this case we were very pleasantly surprised! Bearing in mind we were exceptionally cold and wet, the staff went all out to help us, even offering to get all our clothes dry for the next day! (Even all our clothes that had gotten wet in our bags!) We were offered a kingsize deluxe room, which was wonderfully warm and comfortable, with the usual tea and coffee, hot water, LCD tv and wi-fi.
We were told that evening meals were served from 6pm, so thankfully with warm and dry clothing we went for dinner in the restaurant there. (A few odd looks would have been coming our way if we hadn't got our clothes back though!) Very respectable portion sizes, and the food was absolutely excellent. My husband went for the fish, and I had the steak, all cooked to perfection. The home made desserts were to die for and I can safely say that out of all the places we ate on the Uists, this was by far the best. Given the very rural location, having "locals" travel out to eat there must be testament to the excellent food and service.
Overall, we stayed there for 2 nights, and despite not booking in advance, and being given one of the deluxe suites, we were very pleasantly surprised to find we didnt have to mortgage the house or sell our motorcycle to pay the bill!
Perfect in every way!

Room Tip: Ask for the suite rooms! Huge superking bed, bath, and private patio
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pitstop666
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel is to put it mildly overdue a make over. When I first turned up I was shown to my room by a young girl who failed to welcome me and was told "This is your room. Don't open the window or it will fall out as it's broken". The room I was allocated had dated furniture and a floor finish in the toilet which had de bonded from the sub-floor. No information on when dinner was, if available, or when breakfast was. As luck would have I bumped into the owners wife who was able to confirm that I could eat from 6.00pm. Dinner in this hotel made up for my initial disappointment. The menu selection was very good and the food was without doubt the best encountered during my stay in all the hotels I visited during my trip to the Hebrides. The owner and his wife were much more friendly and welcoming. The food in this hotel is brill, but the external appearance and rooms need some money spent on them as this gives a bad first impression.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Robert M
Reviewed 27 September 2013

A good place to stay as a base for exploring the north and south Uist area. The food is excellent which is good as the choices are limited. They had single rooms which was good for me and wi-fi (not advertised). Yes there could be some improvements but I saw some of it as just querky service! They offered an early breakfast when I was leaving early, and were happy for my dogs to come into the bedroom. I'd be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We enjoyed our couple of nights at the Orasay Inn despite one or two slightly odd aspects of the stay. There are one or two arbitrary rules which seem to be there to make guests uncomfortable, e.g. the need to return the key to reception when leaving the premises (not having been warned when we checked in, we didn't see the notice and got told off on our return from a day out - not the best way to impress the paying customer) and the way that on our first morning when we sat at a table that appeared to be set for breakfast we were told that wasn't to be used and were shown to one with two places set side by side facing into the dining room, away from the lovely view, which was quite an odd way to manage the room as there were no other guests breakfasting at the time.

On the plus side the food is excellent. Breakfasts are serious affairs but lighter alternatives to the Full Scottish are available. A fair proportion of the customers for dinner were non-residents which testifies to the popularity of the place as a dining destination.

It's probably best to think of it as a restaurant with rooms as the customer service and overall atmosphere at dinner was very good while the B&B side, although clean and serviced well, didn't seem to be the first priority for the owners. We rated the restaurant side of the business as very good on the basis of our meal but would probably look for somewhere else to stay if we return to the Western Isles.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BallsPond
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochcarnan
Polochar Inn
#1 of 6 in Portree
Hotel Hebrides
Hotel Hebrides
#2 of 2 in Tarbert

Been to Orasay Inn? Share your experiences!