“Super place to eat and stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Queens Arms

The Queens Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Garston
Birmingham
“Super place to eat and stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I, with three friends, spent a balmy summer’s evening and overnight at this fine country inn, en route from Birmingham to an event in Hampshire, and wanting somewhere comfortable to stay with good food. Having stayed at a Miller’s hotel (now defunct: near Wells) some years ago, we had enjoyed the slightly quirky, relaxed atmosphere and hoped we might find a similar approach here at the Queen’s Arms. We did.

All the staff were cheerful and friendly, and we felt very welcome. I’m going to make a couple of small criticisms of this establishment during this review, but in no way do they reflect on the staff, and in no way would any of them mean I wouldn’t recommend this place very highly. I mention them in the interests of accuracy only.

After we had arrived, unpacked, and settled in to our room we noticed one of the bedside lights wasn’t working. I asked the manager at the bar if she could fix this for us, and we went out for a walk to explore the countryside. (Well worth exploring: the village is pretty as a picture with its thatched cottages; the Berkshire downs envelope this quiet valley, and you look over wonderful rolling landscape, where there’s plenty of wildlife to be seen). When we came back the light was fixed.

There is a very pleasant beer garden, which we sat in and enjoyed after our walk. The bar here is well stocked, with excellent draught bitter and an unusually large selection of gins (though not surprising given that this is a Millers’ establishment).

Dinner was the highlight of our stay. Not “haute cuisine” but good high quality food, with a bit of extra imagination. My friends and I really enjoyed our dinner. The menu gives a good choice, and the wine list is well varied, with more than enough different wines to enable you to match your choice of food. We had a Chateau Perron (Pauillac) which we greatly enjoyed. My flat iron steak was cooked just how I asked for it, and the chips (fries) were delicious: crunchy on the outside and soft inside. A tiny criticism is that I had not asked for sauce, and I was served mine with peppercorn sauce: this really is nit-picking on my part though because it was in a pot, so I didn’t have to have it, and I wasn’t charged extra for it, as it turns out, though the menu had said it cost £2 for sauce. The sauce was quite nice though!

Desserts were excellent too. Three of us had chocolate fondants which were just right: sort and gooey inside, well cooked sponge outside, and oozing chocolate flavour. One of my friends ordered three scoops of ice cream, and the scoops he was served were different flavours to the ones he had asked for, but this was not a problem, and the waitress immediately brought him what he had wanted. We had some dessert wine (Sauternes) with our puds, and then coffee and port sitting outside under a canopy, on some comfy outdoor sofas. All in all a very satisfying and enjoyable dinner.

You wouldn’t choose to stay here if you don’t approve of sporting shooting or fishing, but then you’d probably get the idea from their website that these activities are central to the reason why the Queen’s Arms does what it does, and decide to stay elsewhere. Personally we don’t indulge in such sports, but the fact that others do is not a problem for us. We stayed in a shotgun themed room, called Holland and Holland. It’s full of interesting pictures of shotguns, with beautiful etchings on the metal parts. The room was small, indeed as we first walked in, my wife banged her knee on the protruding bedframe, and hurt herself slightly. OK, we thought, won’t do that again! (And neither of us did). The king sized bed was very comfy and the room was pleasantly furnished (if you don’t mind lots of pictures of shotguns on the walls, which I didn’t. I wouldn’t have them at home, but for a stay in a hotel, why not?!). The en suite shower room was very clean, and everything worked, plus the toiletries were nice. My only gripe, and this was probably only due to the fact that it was about 28 degrees C that day, and a very warm night, was that the room was very hot at night. I woke around 0200 due to the heat. At about 0300 it occurred to me that if I switched the fridge off it would help. It did. By about 0400 I was comfortable and went back to sleep until my alarm woke me at 0800.

Breakfast is part buffet (juices, cereals, fresh fruit) and part cooked to order from a choice. I had a full English (how could I not?!) which included local eggs from free roaming chickens, and delicious bacon. Oddly, at least I thought so given the pride with which local ingredients feature here, the black pudding seems to come from Scotland. Anyway, there was plenty of toast and tea to go with it all, and it was delicious. My friend (the same one who had the ice cream issue, so maybe it’s just him!) ordered boiled eggs and soldiers, but was given poached eggs and soldiers, but as the waitress pointed out, it saved him the effort of peeling them himself, which was true, he was happy, and he enjoyed them.

Decent value, great hospitality and very good food and drink. I’d like to visit in winter when I’ll better appreciate a warm bedroom, but I heartily recommend this Inn as a good place to eat and stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with friends for a Saturday night, breaking up the journey to an event on the Sunday. We were all made to feel very welcome from the start. The place was surprisingly quiet, although I think all the rooms were taken, we had booked for dinner but had no need.

The food was excellent, as was the wine, and a great eve was had by all. Likewise a delicious breakfast the next day.

As a single traveller I had the tiny but sweet fishpond room - beautiful big bathroom. My only two gripes were firstly the price, £100 for my room, £110 for a couple - this is just something I have got used to experiencing but it's still irritating - and the fact that my bedroom was very very hot. We went in a bit of a heat wave but even so - the only way to get any air in was to leave the bedroom door open! Although it was such a safe place you could do that.

All in all well worth a visit.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights to attend a wedding in the local area. The pub is lovely, beautiful traditional pub, very friendly service, everything was excellent.
We stayed in the Fishbowl room, which is small but beautifully decorated and furnished, with a good size bathroom, it was fine for two people. We did have a peak in some of the other rooms which were much bigger, all of a similar style and standard.
The breakfast was excellent, lots of choice, we has fruit cereals and a cooked breakfast with juice and coffee.
The staff are very friendly and helpful, we felt very welcome.
The village is beautiful, very picturesque, a lovely setting for a weekend in the country, very quiet and peaceful. The town of Hungerford is a 10 minute drive with lots of antique shops.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have stayed here twice now when in west Berkshire visiting friends. The location is quiet, the hotel is lovely and the rooms are very comfortable. The bar is usually full of locals and the food for breakfast or diner is of a high quality. We have stayed in the Hardings bedroom and would recommend this room as it has a nice comfy bed and large tiled bathroom with big shower and slipper bath. The hotel is dog friendly.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Hardings bedroom
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed for one night in this charming rural hotel, set within a peaceful village and with a delightful beer garden where, apart from the odd car going past, the only sounds to be heard were the birds singing in the trees!

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome, and throughout our stay nothing seemed too much trouble for the helpful, smiling staff. Dinner in the restaurant was wonderful; the atmosphere was relaxed, the service warm and friendly, the food first class and the wine perfect. Breakfast the next morning was excellent too.

Our bedroom was comfortable with lovely furnishings and a spacious shower room which was modern and very clean. My only complaint (and it is a very minor one) is that the room was uncomfortably warm during the night, even with the window open...a fan would have been useful!

Overall, a great place to stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hungerford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I recently arranged to meet some friends at The Queens Arms, East Garston, with it being in such close proximity to the M4. We had no booked and unbeknown to us, the pub was holding a Pilsner Urquell tasting night with BBQ and live music. Despite our lack of booking, and the fact that the pub was extremely busy, we were made to feel very welcome. The menu was explained thoroughly and the staff seemed knowledgable and happy to be working that night as there was a great atmosphere on both sides of the bar. I have since revisited the pub on a lunchtime with my dog and 2 nephews, all of whom were totally fussed over and catered for with treats and colouring books respectively. I highly recommend The Queens Arms and hope to stay there in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SimonW336
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We regularly eat at the Queens & it rarely disappoints. They tend to get very busy at weekends particularly in the summer so best to book for then but mid week is quieter. There is always a friendly greeting for locals & visitors alike & dogs are welcome so great for a pint & a light lunch in the bar if you've been for a hike on the beautiful Lambourn Downs. The menu is varied & delicious & often uses local ingredients like wild mushrooms in season . There are good pub staples like excellent steaks & fish & chips & the asparagus , spinach & pine nut risotto I had last week was to die for. The PUDS are delicious too!
It's a great place for a weekend break at any time of year. The bedrooms have a cosy shooting lodge feel to them & there are lots of places to visit within easy reach.

Room Tip: Each room is different & some are quite small but very cosy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
#3 of 4 in Hungerford
Days Inn Membury M4
Days Inn Membury M4
#2 of 4 in Hungerford

Been to The Queens Arms? Share your experiences!