The Bull Inn, Stanford Dingley
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
US$77
US$69
The Swan at Streatley(Streatley-on-Thames)
US$154
Royal Oak(Yattendon)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubfish and chipssunday lunchside dishescauliflower cheesepuddingthree coursespoached eggstwin roomstartersaccommodationroast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 May 2013

See attached photos - this is NOT a good place to stay, no matter how cheap!

I only paid £45 for the night - not bad really, but I'm afraid it's barely worth that.

First let me start with the good:-

Right, that's that out of the way....

No, seriously, the bed in my room (room 4) was moderately comfy (and that counts for something lets be honest).

Now on to the less good.

When you travel on business as I do, there are a few things you want.

1 - A bath - nope, didn't get that, but I guess I knew that when I booked it - that's not my biggest concern.
2 - A TV you can watch - too much to ask? I don't think so. With a decent Freeview telly costing around £130, is it too much to ask for a 19" or 21" telly in the room, on the wall where you can see it? This room had a 10" portable CRT old style telly high up in the rafters with a freeview box! it was unwatchable really - and uncomfortable to be staring up at the ceiling all the time.
3 - Confidence the room wasn't going to collapse on me - well, see the photos - the walls have cracks you could drive a truck through! This place either has very serious subsidence or... well actually no, I can't think of another reason for cracks like this! (see photos)!

The shower wasn't up to much and the place was just dowdy, the kettle wouldn't fit in the sink to fill - so all in all I'd avoid if I were you, unless you have little or no choice.....

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank GrantWhittakerYoung
anonbsd, Owner at The Bull Inn, Stanford Dingley, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear Mr Young,

Just wanted to take the opportunity to respond to the comments regarding our accommodation that you felt necessary to post onto TripAdvisor regarding your stay on 11th April. To address your main areas of concern one by one:
- The Room is advertised as having an ensuite shower room, no mention of a bath is made as they are not present, but as you mentioned you were aware of this when you booked.
- You felt the TV was too small, something which we have agreed with and actually we have purchased new 22" flat screen TVs with built in Freeview & DVD in the month since your stay.
- You were offended by the 3 cracks in the bedroom and 2 cracks in the bathroom. I admit this is not ideal and apologise for the impact these made on your stay. We do have plans to fully redeocorate the rooms, to the same standard as the Pub itself, but being a small business, it does take time to raise the funds for such projects and we feel that this is reflected in the 'cheap' (as you put it) rate for the room. Generally rooms in a 5 mile radius of us start at £80 per night given the idyllic countryside location.
You comment that the shower 'wasn't up to much' but I am confident that it functioned to level one can expect of a Mira Sport 9.8kW Electric Shower.
Finally you pictured a light fitting that had come out of the ceiling, and that you struggled to fill the kettle from the tap. Both of these issues could easily have been rectified if you brought this to my attention at the time.

I hope that I have dealt with issues and would like to take the opportunity to reiterate that as an owner, we can only improve your stay with us if any problems you feel that you have are mentioned to us at the time - afterwards there is little we can do.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We've been to the Bull many times since it re-opened...mostly for dinner...It's a lovely country pub, and the menu is interesting, food well cooked and presented, good wines and beers..not cheap but neither hugely expensive for this area..service is friendly though can be a bit slow...really nice atmosphere- roaring fire in winter, and garden to enjoy eating out in the summer. All good!
But our new discovery is to go on a weekend lunchtime for their sandwiches! So worth the walk! They are absolutely yummy, filling meals, and GREAT value! Delicious fillings in beautiful soft hunks of bread, with some more-ish wedge chips, and salad...all for about 6 or 7pounds...try them!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fionamw20
Reviewed 24 April 2013

we found this pub on late rooms- reduced to £50 but to be absoulutely honest it was only ever a £50 room in the first place so perhaps at £35 you would have felt it a genuine bargain. Main problem was it was not terribly clean ,the cob webs frightened my children!However the pub was lovely and the people very pleasant,menu looked nice,we did not eat there but seemed very popular, but as an industry insider having experienced a poorly serviced bedroom,you do wonder about other areas! we had a great weekend would not recommend the rooms but the pub itself was a lovely village pub,lovely ales and bar service pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Helen G
Reviewed 20 February 2013

This is a lovely pub I have known for years and the present owners have put in a lot of effort. That said, the food is good but pricey (it is still a pub after all) there is good range of beers and welcoming staff. However, the accomodation at the back attracts builders and site workers on stop over. Do not therefore be surprised or intimidated by the bar strewn with workmen in their fluorescent yellow jackets and work clothes. Nor should you be shocked to hear the profuse and unimaginative use of the 'f 'word over a drink or a meal.

A nice place but it does need to be careful and work out where which market it is pitching for.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank naxis123
Reviewed 2 February 2013

At a time when chain coffee shops and restaurants are causing so many local pubs to close down I am so pleased The Bull has been taken over by such a brilliant young couple - chef and manager. I went to this pub with my mum and my 2 year old daughter. The great thing about it is that it manages to combine a beautiful and absolutely delicious dining area with an extremely relaxed and friendly bar area. All covered with the most brilliant and exotic flower arrangements I have ever seen!

The food was delicious, really great. We ordered 4 starters plus chunky chips so that we would have space for the dessert! We had a three cheese souffle, beautiful field mushroom soup, rarebit tart and mozzarella tomato salad. The soup was exactly as you'd want it to be, so full of flavour with generous servings of soft bread and butter. The other starters were excellent, with just the right amount of sauces, drizzles and garnish. The staff were quick, friendly and extremely helpful, a great atmosphere. My daughter had a bit of everything and loved it, especially the chips and soup!!

The desserts were even better, a terrine of three sorbets which were so fresh and flavorsome and an amazing amaretto infused dessert which my mum hasn't stopped talking about since!

I really recommend this pub, for both locals and visitors. It is such an asset to our British cooking and culture.

Room Tip: Phone up and ask the staff anything, they are extremely friendly and helpful
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family