“Not all that!!”

The Bull Inn, Stanford Dingley
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I went for dinner last night with high expectations which were not met. We wanted to have a drink in the bar before we ate but we were approached by a member of staff who wanted to take our order we were then informed the starters were ready.Our bums had bearly touched the chair when our starters were on the table. My husband had to ask for the wine menu and I was not asked if we would like to order any side dishes. Belly pork was not pleasant and my husbands Skate or though fresh and hot was overcooked, it was not busy in the restaurant the lady obviously in charge walked round carrying her small baby, chatting with the regulars who ordered sandwichs but totally ignored us the new faces who were ordering from their overpriced A La Catre menu, not once did she make eye contact with us or acknowledge us...pretty rude really. I chose not to order a dessert my husband had the cheese although none of them were described to him and I have put more Briie on a cracker at home than was on his platter, strawberries have no place on a cheeseboard either. I overall was not impressed infact not long after sitting down in the restaurant my first thought was .."We must book a taxi home!"

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LMBB2014

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We regularly visit The Bull either for an evening drink or for dinner.
The staff are always friendly and the food is always great.

More expensive than typical pub grub but also better than typical pub grub with a nice selection of beers, lagers and wine.

I have never stayed in the rooms so can't comment.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Very disappointed, this pub is local to me but I will not be returning!!! Firstly a friend ordered fish which had then sold out, the dory was ordered only to be told there was only one left!!! Perhaps the kitchen should have told the staff what was available!! There was no apology from the kitchen. Service was very slow, all together very overrated & expensive for a very poor meal. My husband had the pork which was very fatty & he felt very sick when he got home.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank oakfarm
Reviewed 4 February 2014

After driving for what seemed like through the Labyrinth of eternal mazes down a baron country road in the pouring rain, we arrived at The Bull Inn.
When having arrived, due to it being a Friday night the car park was completely filled with locals car leaving no space for customers who have booked rooms. Luckily one space did open up after we had been out to eat then come back.
The pub was completely full of drinkers but staff were quick to come to service when we said we were guests staying.
Having quickly taken our details and received our key, we went to our room.
The rooms located at the back of the pub in a single storey building were like the Tardis; small on the outside but spacious within.
The room was very clean and very modern. Freeview in our room with very comfy beds and everything supplied for a good nights stay.
In the morning the key had to be put through the letterbox as there were no staff in the pub around that early in the morning to take it from us.
Very comfy stay and would highly recommend to anyone!!!

Room Tip: Be sure to arrive before the peak pub drinking times; due to the locals filling the car park there i...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2014

A wonderful old 15th(?) century pub in one of the villages my ancestors came from. Log fires and expensive main courses but we had cheese and pickle sandwiches with chips - good and filling for about six pounds each. Real ale available and accommodation, too, which I'll try on my next ancestor hunting trip to England!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cockney007
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I live a few villages away and had no idea this gem even existed. Was fantastic to see a pub bustling with people and the ambience of the restaurant area didn't fail too impress with its rustic charm.
The food could not be faulted with an excellent menu to choose from. The staff were, without exception, friendly and efficient.
Good value for money considering the whole package received. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paula G
Reviewed 27 December 2013

we visited a fairly local pub / hotel in November with our 20 month tiddler
Frankly I was exceptionally impressed
Delicious local produce, the rump of Veal with massive Yorkshire was a great hit. The excellent fish and chops and a huge pile of steaming fresh veg. Children can either have a half portion of anything on the menu or choose the regular kids treats.
As for desert, with barely room left we shared a delicious sticky toffee with ice cream.
A true buzzy place in a beautiful village with excellent food and service, I almost did not want to post this review as they are always very busy and being selfish wanted to ensure we got a table next time

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark T

Been to The Bull Inn, Stanford Dingley? Share your experiences!