“Feel like you're abroad, transported to another world.”
Review of Crab & Boar

Crab & Boar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
“Feel like you're abroad, transported to another world.”
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Stayed in the Bora, Bora. Room was very clean, bed was wonderful, comfy, queen-sized. Bathroom, small but beautiful - spa-like. Private garden with hot-tub was amazing. Bathe in hot, bubbly water underneath the stars. Very romantic.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Maxandzoecat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
London/ New York
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We stayed in the Cipriani room, which has a small hot tub in a private outside area.
We'd brought our own cava and a bucket of ice was brought to our room immediately.
The dinner was amazing, with the best tempura soft shell crabs I have ever had. The seafood platters ( I had the warm platter, which included cooked oysters, and half a grilled bream, my husband had the cold platter with oysters on shell, prawns, smoked salmon etc) are also fabulous, and offer excellent value for money.
Had a great nights sleep on a very comfy bed. Staff were friendly and efficient, and manager Richard is great and seems to have a great rapport with his team.
Recommended!

• Stayed May 2011
Hampshire
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We have stayed and eaten here before, but I thought it was worth writing a new review. We arrived on the Sunday of a long weekend and had a late lunch at 2pm. The food as usual was perfect and served in a slow and caring fashion, neither of us like to be rushed and so it was just right.

We adjourned to the lounge area and sat there for a few hours, with more drinks and some great chat with some fellow guests. The place really does make you feel relaxed and at home with staff who keep out of your faces.

We had a room booked, Zen. The prices are really good and mean that staying there you feel the combined menu and room price is good value. The room is quite small, but a really comfortable bed, a huge TV, free wifi and a bathroom that was fine for us. In fact we had a great nights sleep, though the alcohol may have helped.

In the morning you can then have a leisurely breakfast, I had the pancakes which are done just right, again you are not rushed and can just chat, read the papers and enjoy the place.

In all I have to say we love the place and would heartily recommend is for people who are looking for somewhere intimate with a good room / restaurant package.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2011

We found this hotel/restaurant by chance whilst surfing the net for seafood. At first it seems like a strange location, but when you study the catchment area (Oxford, Reading, Swindon) it makes sense. And may I say from the start that the food here is outstanding.

Our stay was special from start to finish. Every member of staff we came in contact with seemed genuinely pleased to be of service, and nothing seemed to be too much trouble.

We were booked into the Bora Bora room which is cosy (some might say small) with a lovely bamboo bed, tropical decor and understated lighting which maintained the romantic atmosphere throughout. The outdoor hot tub offered by several of the roomsis definitely a selling point, we used it on both nights (and once again before we left!).

The restaurant was well equipped and comfortable. Before the meal we were told of several "Specials", (I had the Gurnard with Thermidor sauce, cooked to perfection) and the best Scallops I have ever tasted. We had only intended to eat in the restaurant for the first night (my birthday treat), but there were so many choices on the menu we had to return the following night as well. (Tandoori Scallops and Fruit de Mer Platter if you're interested!)

Breakfast was a nice relaxed affair, the staff were happy to let us take our time. Eggs seem to be a speciality, my wife tried both the Hollandaise and Benedict, and both were delicious. I had the full English which again was cooked to perfection.

In summary, for us this was a fantastic stay. The staff were faultless, the room was lovely and the food was delicious. I would definitely recommend this establishment to anyone wishing for a relaxed Romantic Break.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Bern
Reviewed 18 March 2011

We stayed at the Crab at Chieveley near Newbury for one night and had a booking for the Chiva Som room. Of course due to the name we expected a certain level of quality, but what a shame, just a illusion. Actually the room was ok for one night, but it was very small, no luxury and comfort as you would await it form a "five star Thai room". We had a spectacular view over the hot-tub (not inviting at all) on a very old batten fence. Small-sized bathroom, no shower. Altogether: disapointing.
But at least one highlight should be mentioned: The restaurant. We got a really good quality of food (fish restaurant).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CH_FreqTraveller
london
Reviewed 8 March 2011

OMG!! This place is incredible. The service was excellent and the room (Chiva Som) was like being on holiday the hot tub was amazing and the room was so clean we even had a nespresso coffee machine in the room. The manager was super helpful and was always on hand whenever we needed him. The food was super tasty and well worth the price in fact I probably would have paid more.
The breakfast was amazing and was delivered to our room we were even allowed to check out an hour later at no extra cost. I cannot recommend this place enough it was amazing and I'm definitely going back......

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2011

The Room
There are slippery mats on a tiled floor. I slid and my wife tripped on them. These are dangerous and someone could easily hurt themselves badly.
The menu in the room does not match the menu in the restaurant. After much studying and decisions made when we got to the restaurant we had to start again as they differed.

The Bathroom
This was in poor repair. There was enamel chipped off the bath, The shower head did not give an acceptable covering, the toilet seat was of very cheap plastic and kept slipping when seated on it and the toilet roll was of cheap quality.

Dinner
The prices of your wine are very expensive for the range they offer, however this is on the website so I can only offer the observation that: A lot of customers like a selection of wines in the £20 to £30 bracket; these are very limited and poorvalue.
We both ordered the Monkfish which we have had many times and enjoy immensely; however it was undercooked, being raw in the middle.
The “thrice cooked” chips were soggy and burned.
The choice of desert was poor, not a varied selection and once again did not match the menu in the room.

This was mostly very attentive in fact too attentive. When the mains were finished my wifes plate was taken before she had swallowed her last mouthful.
My wife ordered a cheeseboard which was delivered quickly, however she sat there without a knife to eat it with for 10 minutes.
When we arrived we requested (from reception in person) an ice bucket. I had to go there again after 30 minutes to find that they had forgotten about it.

Checkout
On checking in “an authorisation” was taken on my card. I was told that this was not taken from the account as it was just an authorisation. At checkout I was told that you could not take the extra due as it was over 10% of the authorisation so you had to cancel the "authorisation and take the full amount. On returning home I found they had take both amounts leaving me unable to access the amount they took first for 5 days.
They should make this clear on checking in.

Positive points
My wife left a watch in the room and we were contacted to say it was there and you would post it if we wished and breakfast was very good.

Summary
This is a restraunt with a small number of rooms.
It tries to be something it is not - good.
It is very expensive for what you get.
I tried complaining but were told they would not do anything about it.
It seems customers are an inconvenience.

I recommend you give this place a miss. It looks good and trys, but fails miserabley. They just want your money.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Secret_Squirrel_UK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Donnington Grove Hotel and Country Club
Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!