“Unique”
Review of Crab & Boar

Crab & Boar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We have just returned after spending our 1st wedding anniversary here. The hotel and setting is lovely, the staff are friendly and the rooms are unique. We stayed in a thai themed room complete with hot tub and it was lovely to spend time staying somewhere a little bit different from the norm. We had dinner in the restaurant which had a lovely menu of fish and seafood. The food was lovely and we would definitely recommend it and would definitely go back again in the future. If you want to try somewhere a bit different and like fish and seafood then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Crab & Boar

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We found ourselves having a very unexpected stay at this hotel following an issue with the original booking we had made at a nearby hotel. What a great find! We stayed in the Cipriani room which was one of the hotels 'hot tub' rooms. It was really lovely, and though we didn't dine at the hotel we enjoyed a night cap in the bar, where the staff were really friendly and helpful.
The following morning we enjoyed a delicious breakfast outside in the sun on the terrace. The only negative side was the smell of drainage in the room the following morning. We ended up having to close the bathroom door over as it got quite bad. We reported this to reception and they swiftly provided us with a key to a neighbouring room to shower and they arranged a late check out for us.
The staff were quick to be helpful and rectify any issues. I think we'd visit again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claire O
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Nice country restaurant with good rooms (complete with individual hot-tubs on the ground floor!)
Lovely!

Not cheap but reasonable value for money with good dinner food, good service and an excellent breakfast.

Would we go again - yes if the chance arises.

Room Tip: Opt for the ground floor rooms with individual hot-tubs. Great - even in the rain!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I found the Crab through the website [--] when I was searching for accommodation in England with a hot tub. We stayed in July 2012 in the Bali room.

The Crab has to be one of the lovliest places I've ever stayed (and I've stayed in a lot of places). We arrived early (midday instead of 4pm) and they were good enough to get the room ready for us early. While we waited, we sat in the beer garden/decking area in the sunshine overlooking the Berkshire countryside.

The Bali room is stunning. The bed frame is made from huge bamboo logs, there's a nespresso maker in the room, and the hot tub is huge. It's really private, too. The garden area where the hot tub is, is completely enclosed. You can hear your neighbours a bit, but you can't really see them. All you can really see is the sky or the stars.

The food at the Crab was amazing. The restaurant specialises in fish but my boyfriend hates fish and he ordered an aged filet steak. He loved it. I had monkfish wellington. Yummy! There are lots of thoughtful extras in the restaurant too. You get given fresh bread and dips before your meal and petit fours afterwards.

The staff were so friendly and helpful. And breakfast in bed the next morning was heavenly. I could have cried when the time came to check out.

I would recommend this place to anyone, although I'd rather keep it secret so I don't have to join a waiting list to go back again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sazzle014
Tim H, General Manager at Crab & Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Sazzle014,

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. Your kind comments have been shared with the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Crab at Chieveley in the near future.

Kind regards,

Tim Healey

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Just returned home having spent the night at the Crab last night. We ate in the bar and the food was good, with friendly and helpful service.

Rooms however are a different story, described as the Garden of Eden, the room was adorned with plastic plants, a hot tub in dire need of replacement and dingy lighting.

No water this morning.... fire alarms going off. Receptionist clearly embarrassed and knocked something off the bill, but damage done with me and will most certainly never be back and cannot recommend.

1  Thank Stephen H

Dear Stephen H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and your kind comments regarding our team and the bar food.

A score of just 2/5 is way below our target, and I for one am disappointed that you left us feeling disgruntled.

However, the burst water main 200 metres down the road caused the problems in the morning. Whilst I appreciate it had a negative impact on your stay, it was completely out of our control. You may well have seen the 'river' of water escaping down the hill in the morning and the water company working to repair the damage. Thames Water have issued their apologies to all affected by the disruption.

The fire alarms exist for the safety of our guests, staff and the general public. We have a legal obligation to keep our fire alarm system in proper working order. Again, whilst I understand that this had an impact on your stay, (who wants to woken by the sound of a fire alarm at 8 am?!?) it was another issue that was out of our control. Fortunately, there was no fire, steam from a guest's shower caused the problem, and no one was hurt.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Crab at Chieveley in the near future.

Tim Healey

Reviewed 13 August 2012

At first I did not want to share my experience in my preffered hotel close to Newbury... but that would be selfish ;-)I stayed many times in the Crab for as many and more reasons,... Cosy rooms, every room is unique, well equipped with free Wifi, DVD player, Nespresso machine,... Friendly staff and not to forget the great food! Oysters, Crab, sea brass, ..all fresh and well prepared!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I wanted to book a special night away with my girlfriend to celebrate her birthday and after some internet searching decided to choose the Crab @ Chieveley.

As soon as we walked into reception and were greeted by the front of desk team I knew this was going to be an exception stay.

As we were shown to our room we were given a tour of the Restaurant, Bar and newly refurbished dining area to which I thought was an excellent touch.

We were lucky enough to book the Banyan Tree (SPA) room prior to booking I had only seen pictures of it on the internet.We weren't disappointed the room was very well decorated, spacious and comfortable, the bed was probably one of the best we had slept in and the SPA bath was exceptional.

We found all of the staff very friendly, welcoming, polite and always willing to go the "extra mile" with anything we needed.

We dined in the Restaurant and being that my girlfriend and I were both previously chefs found everything to be completely flawless. I have made a separate Trip Advisor review for our dining experience at the Restaurant.

I would highly recommend the Crab @ Chieveley to anyone and we would both like to thank the team there for making this a stay to remember.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel
Regency Park Hotel
Regency Park Hotel
#5 of 17 in Newbury

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!