“Charming as Always”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
Surrey
“Charming as Always”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

"The Crab" as it is affectionately known has long been a favourite of ours. It never fails to deliver on food or service, and remains one of the all time greats in Berkshire.
Many thanks to all the staff for your kind attention at Sunday lunchtime.

Room Tip: Ask for a hot tub room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Oxford
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Treated my boyfriend to a Sunday night stay on the 10th November for his bday ! Hotel staff showed us to our room(with private outdoor hot tub)explained that hot tubs were emptied and cleaned on a daily basis (very nice to know) we stayed in chiva som room,Thailand inspired and it was wonderful,beautiful relaxing coffee machine,home made cookies,teas etc.nice touches in bathroom shampoo soaps etc,2xrobes came in handy getting in and out hot tub,the bamboo low bed was so comfy with Egyptian cotton sheets.we didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked so lovely and very quirky!!! We used room service and had breakfast in bed the next day,breakfast was nice(apart from the sausage) and the toast was a little (little)!! Posh style toast basically a tiny corner of toast.we had pancakes to which said with syrup but came with berries(nice but I wanted what I thought I was getting).
The wifi was not available in rooms which was s pain!!
The hot tub was lovely,boiling(until the cover had been off)always put it straight back on when not using it.nice flat screen large tv on the wall to watch the news at breakfast time,hair dryer iron and ironing board!!
Over all this place was amazing for the £115 I paid to stay,I did not want to leave!!at leaving I spoke to the accommodating receptionist about the other rooms and she said everyone had checked out if I wanted to see them so I got to see all the rooms with hot tubs my favourite was our room, some were a little smaller but bird island,cipriarni and bora bora looked nice too! What a lovely place can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed November 2013
Westerham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for my birthday on the Friday night deal. Arrival nice and shown to room professionally.

Chocolates in the room and nice touches like a good coffee machine, selection of teas & delish cookies. Had the room with a 'cobbled' floor which was cool!

Room was hot so had the window open, but in the early morning we where awoken by the noisy road, which is about a foot from the window. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker.

Food was excellent, good choice on the menu, although the lobster was small.

Good cocktails and nice breakfast.

Overall I wouldn't pay full rate for the rooms as they are on the smallish side and noisy if you are on the road side, but on the £190 deal for room, £100 worth of food, bottle of wine, prosecco & chocolates it was good value and I would go back.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Have to say,finally,as its been approx two months since my bride and i wedded that our reception and all inclusive package to take the hotel and its rooms for the night had been a fine choice.Anyone looking for a venuse accomodating 70 odd people (sit down,120 in the evening) should seriously consider the crab for the following reasons.

Management of our arrangements by Denise the events manager before the wedding coordinating sequences and timings,management of the service for the arrival canapes ,wedding breakfast and evening buffet had also been expertly carried out without fuss and attention to detail (kids table decoration we loved).Our overall criteria had been to deliver high end memorable food and wines at a fair cost this the crab delivered on leaving all our guests with a memorable dining experience (their words) for a weddding , which i believe is rare.The quality of service had been measured discreet and smart superbly managed by Chris the reastaurant manager.The evening buffet selected by us delivered on all levels and wasn't what you would normally consider ''buffet food'' at a wedding reception.Grilled sardines,squid salads, Fatoush salad,enormous cheese selection with home made breads, etc .My Italian relatives were all seriously impressed with the high level of cooking.

I had been informed that our wedding was the first exclusive booking for the hotel which i find hard to believe considering the expert services and goods the crab has to offer.So thank you Denise,Chris and the staff at the crab for making our country themed wedding day a unforgettable one.P.S the photos of the children in the spa baths are great.
Best Paul and Sabrina.xx

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
LONDON NW11
Reviewed 7 November 2013

the rooms are themed from around the world the choice is yours. but the real star of this boutique hotel is the restaurant. the food is outstanding and the choice of fish is excellent and the quality is superb. we went for our wedding anniversary with two friends I can only we all will return.

Room Tip: in the winter get a ground floor room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Using a Booking website is convenient but beware the cost of it not delivering exactly what you thought. As a surprise stop over prior to a weekend away my wife searched availability for a date she believed to be 9 days ahead and was impressed at the no cancellation fee. So she booked and then checked with me that the extra night was OK. I rearranged a few things and thought great - we have been before and it was pleasant. The next evening at about 8 pm I took a call from the hotel asking if we were still coming - i had sorted the leave so "sure" was the reply. The following evening at 8:30 pm I took another call saying when are you arriving?

The booking confirmation (which had diverted into MY Junk mail) showed the booking a week earlier than my wife believed had been booked. How is the subject of much angst but that aside there are some serious points for note.

The web based booking does not give a dialogue box warning that you are attempting a booking within 48 hrs and that the full room rate is therefore non-refundable if the room is not re-let. The confirmation phone call is not a nice customer friendly welcome but a check that they are getting guaranteed income. The day before call will not draw to your attention to that fact and give you the chance of having the room re-let - so you will loose the full room rate fee.

Any attempt to have a conversation with someone who can perhaps hear the customers point of view and reach some halfway house may be met with a verbal "OK the manager will be in in a few days we won't process the payment" only to met with a email 30 mins later saying sorry taken it!

Fair play the manager did ring me when she was next in. But it was only to tell me they had a cancellation policy. I kind of got that bit - I was £110 lighter! Nowhere on the radar was there any desire to keep a returning customer. We had known the previous house manager and know he would be appalled at how things have changed. Still that's the price of experience and its a shame the current management think more of the cash in the till now than the revenue for tomorrow. We won't be back any-time soon and will ring the next venue directly to book in future - a costly lesson for all.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank john_proudley
England
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Enjoyed the food here but was very quiet, however it was a school night. Food was well presented and tasty. Drinks were not great...freezing cold glass of red wine, half full glass of Prosecco, and the sparkeling water was flat! Amnot sure about the netting on the ceiling as well must be a dust trap.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North
Royal Oak
Royal Oak
#1 of 1 in Yattendon

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!