“My favourite Place!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“My favourite Place!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Me and my partner have stayed at The Crab at Chieveley hotel every year since we have been together. We go back every year because not only are the rooms beautiful but the staff are so helpful and polite. We have stayed in the famous rooms with an outdoor hot tub and also the spa suite with the indoor spa bath. I really like the outdoor hot tubs, although outdoor they are private hidden under a little roof the hot tub is spacious for a couple but so romantic, perfect for summer but we did stay in October one year and the outdoor hot tub was still lovely as it kept us really warm. The rooms are so special as they are all different. Personally my favourite room is the bayan tree room with the indoor spa bath, the spa bath is so relaxing and the whole room was beautifully laid out and very modern it also has a very big screen tv. The whole atmosphere of the hotel is lovely and it is situated close to the centre of Newbury so there is so much to do before check in. I didnt eat in the restaurant as me and my partner both dont like seafood but i have heard positive things about the food. I have booked to go back for 2014 the rooms can be pricey but defiantly worth the investment!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Really Good food & OK service. Be wary of the size of the main courses as they are smaller than your starters. Specially Gnocchi- but it was delicious. A bit expensive but a good treat for your pallet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We booked in for our (small) christmas do. The rooms are fun and unique, and show many signs of luxury : coffee machine, chocolates, attention to detail in the bathrooms etc. The bed wasn't particularly comfortable however, and was far too high (Bali Room). The jacuzzi is just wonderful and makes the whole experience a real treat. The food in the restaurant was absolutely delicious. Suppose if I'm being critical, the receptionist on arrival was very rehearsed, not particularly welcoming, and just regurgitating information. Booking information didn't seem to be booked correctly (room package, time in restaurant, numbers of people eating etc). The staff on departure were superb and as you would expect from somewhere of this calibre. A really relaxing wonderful treat, and will go again, and would highly recommend it. Just a few details that could have made it perfect.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SallyLado1
LONDON
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

As ever, we couldn't fault the quality of the food.
A dozen oysters, my main motivation for booking, fantastic, could have had another dozen.
I had half a lobster, wife had pan fried salmon (beautifully cooked).
Triple cooked chips, I don't recall tasting better. Washed down with a bottle of Chablis, simple but perfectly cooked and delicious meal.
Only gripes: half lobster was very small, about 5 or 6 small pieces already cut free from shell. It was a good job it was still in the shell, it bulked put the appearance, I'm only glad that I paid £25 for the half, not £49 for the 'whole' lobster.
Service a little slow.

• Stayed December 2013
Swindon
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My partner & I treated ourselves to a night away 'without the kids' this weekend, and enjoyed a room with a hot tub. The rooms were lovely & warm, everything was clean, it was a very pleasant stay, the staff were excellent, very attentive and smiley.

The food was amazing, the Pork Belly melted in the mouth. The staff, again faultless, and we even managed to get our dessert back to our room.

The only downside to our stay was we had no hot shower in the morning, and although the reception staff were (again) very attentive, and came in to have a look, we didn't manage to fix the problem, which when you're spending almost £400 on a night away, is a small but significant thing.

Overall a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Always worth going for a room with a hot tub!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed 30 November 2013

"The Crab" as it is affectionately known has long been a favourite of ours. It never fails to deliver on food or service, and remains one of the all time greats in Berkshire.
Many thanks to all the staff for your kind attention at Sunday lunchtime.

Room Tip: Ask for a hot tub room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Oxford
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Treated my boyfriend to a Sunday night stay on the 10th November for his bday ! Hotel staff showed us to our room(with private outdoor hot tub)explained that hot tubs were emptied and cleaned on a daily basis (very nice to know) we stayed in chiva som room,Thailand inspired and it was wonderful,beautiful relaxing coffee machine,home made cookies,teas etc.nice touches in bathroom shampoo soaps etc,2xrobes came in handy getting in and out hot tub,the bamboo low bed was so comfy with Egyptian cotton sheets.we didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked so lovely and very quirky!!! We used room service and had breakfast in bed the next day,breakfast was nice(apart from the sausage) and the toast was a little (little)!! Posh style toast basically a tiny corner of toast.we had pancakes to which said with syrup but came with berries(nice but I wanted what I thought I was getting).
The wifi was not available in rooms which was s pain!!
The hot tub was lovely,boiling(until the cover had been off)always put it straight back on when not using it.nice flat screen large tv on the wall to watch the news at breakfast time,hair dryer iron and ironing board!!
Over all this place was amazing for the £115 I paid to stay,I did not want to leave!!at leaving I spoke to the accommodating receptionist about the other rooms and she said everyone had checked out if I wanted to see them so I got to see all the rooms with hot tubs my favourite was our room, some were a little smaller but bird island,cipriarni and bora bora looked nice too! What a lovely place can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed November 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North
Royal Oak
Royal Oak
#1 of 1 in Yattendon

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!