My Wife and I booked into this Hotel as part of an annual "get together" we have with a number of friends who all worked together in the past. As most of us are from the South East, we tend to look for hotels/restaurants in this area.
This Hotel is in a lovely location and we were allocated the Zen room, one of their themed "Famous Rooms".
Unfortunately, this is completely the wrong name for this room as it is anything but a "Zen" experience. Firstly it is on the ground floor immediately adjacent to the main road outside and the traffic noise is quite intrusive. In addition, the room above is one of their "hot tub" spa rooms and when this is turned on, it's similar to being on the runway at Heathrow, the noise is quite unbearable.
Also, this room is quite small, with no seating available and the bed has a large frame surrounding it that the mattress is set into. This means that sitting on the bed is also difficult and it makes the bed approx 2' wider and longer than a normal bed, so the space in the room is even more prohibited, making it quite possible (without great care) to easily bang your shins or knees on the bed frame as you try to traverse around it to get to the bathroom.
Immediately outside this room are the store cupboards used by the housekeeping staff. In itself this is OK, but when they all decide to assemble there and chat at 8:00am, this is totally inappropriate. We were advised that this had been reported before, so it's an ongoing problem.
We also ate at the Crab and found this to be an only OK experience and certainly not the Wow expected either by reputation or price.
Despite pre-ordering our food a couple of Months in advance, they failed to fulfill one of our orders as they "had no squid" - shameful for a seafood restaurant. Tables were poorly set, cutlery missing, service patchy and food overpriced. I personally had the cold seafood platter which was surprisingly basic although everything listed on their menu was included, and I was surprised it wasn't served "on ice", just a wooden platter. The effect of this, naturally is that the cold seafood rapidly warms up as you eat it and it becomes less palatable.
We are from the North of England and regularly visit our local seafood restaurant "The Bridgewater Arms", which is excellent. In addition, a whole lobster is served in whatever style for approx £24. At the Crab they charge £50 (£25 for half), also the seafood platter is a genuine "fruits of the sea" medley with approx twice the variety, served on ice and charged at £30 - the Crab charges £44. My Wife chose the 1/2 lobster thermidor which she has eaten in many places and has never been served as a small plain lobster and a sauce boat of very thin sauce alongside, inadequate and lazy preparation.
Overall. poor value for money and only average service, thankfully our friends were there and the their company prevented this from being an absolutely rubbish experience. We wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of Berkshire countryside, The Crab & Boar is a stunning country pub with rooms offering award-winning British cuisine and 14 country-style bedrooms. Sink into one of our 14 stylish rooms and unwind in your own private corner of the Berkshire countryside. All bedrooms feature antique furnishing, luxury throws, Egyptian cotton linen, flat screen TVs, natural Bramley bath and body products and Tea and coffee making facilities. Some rooms have their own private hot tub. Dogs are more than welcome. The two AA Rosettes restaurant serves beautiful seafood and seasonal game in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our Head Chef Tom uses locally sourced and seasonal ingredients so you can expect that every plate on the Crab & Boar menu is as fresh as it can be and is expertly crafted with a passion for the local countryside. With an easy access to the M4 motoway, The Crab & Boar is located 25 minute drive away from historic Oxford, 16 minutes from Newbury Racecourse and 19 minutes from Highclere castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms and Evoline ltd so you can book your Crab & Boar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crab At Chieveley Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Chieveley
- Crab & Boar Chieveley, Berkshire