This was our second trip to the crab. We were very impressed on our first visit and made a promise to ourselves that we would return. Unfortunately it was not as good the second time around.
Firstly the booking arrangements went wrong. My husband booked the stay as a surprise for my birthday. He rang the hotel direct and specifically asked them not to send an email confirmation as I would see it and then the surprise would be ruined. They were very reassuring that everything would be fine and they would not let the cat out of the bag! Well, you know what is coming, they did! My husband then sent an email straight away to say how disappointed he was that they had not kept the secret. We had hoped for a reply and an apology. Again we were disappointed. No reply from the crab.
When we arrived we were shown to our room which was looking rather tired. It looked a little sad with flaking paint in the bathroom and heavy furniture which was quite dusty. Patio doors not working too well out onto the patio and hot tub area. This area was quite shabby too.
The bed was comfortable and we enjoyed the hot tub.
Then to dinner. Overall we were pleased with our food, although the organisation in the restaurant was rather disjointed.
Breakfast was ok. The food was nice but the service wasn't great. We had to ask for dishes, milk, spoons etc. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming but it feels as though the restaurant needs some direction and better management of staff.
We did enjoy our stay but there are some issues that really need addressing if the crab wants to keep its reputation. We would need reassurance that things had improved before we visited again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of Berkshire countryside, The Crab & Boar is a stunning country pub with rooms offering award-winning British cuisine and 14 country-style bedrooms. Sink into one of our 14 stylish rooms and unwind in your own private corner of the Berkshire countryside. All bedrooms feature antique furnishing, luxury throws, Egyptian cotton linen, flat screen TVs, natural Bramley bath and body products and Tea and coffee making facilities. Some rooms have their own private hot tub. Dogs are more than welcome. The two AA Rosettes restaurant serves beautiful seafood and seasonal game in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our Head Chef Tom uses locally sourced and seasonal ingredients so you can expect that every plate on the Crab & Boar menu is as fresh as it can be and is expertly crafted with a passion for the local countryside. With an easy access to the M4 motoway, The Crab & Boar is located 25 minute drive away from historic Oxford, 16 minutes from Newbury Racecourse and 19 minutes from Highclere castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Crab & Boar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crab At Chieveley Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Chieveley
- Crab & Boar Chieveley, Berkshire