“Needs improvement.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chieveley
England
“Needs improvement.”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was our second trip to the crab. We were very impressed on our first visit and made a promise to ourselves that we would return. Unfortunately it was not as good the second time around.
Firstly the booking arrangements went wrong. My husband booked the stay as a surprise for my birthday. He rang the hotel direct and specifically asked them not to send an email confirmation as I would see it and then the surprise would be ruined. They were very reassuring that everything would be fine and they would not let the cat out of the bag! Well, you know what is coming, they did! My husband then sent an email straight away to say how disappointed he was that they had not kept the secret. We had hoped for a reply and an apology. Again we were disappointed. No reply from the crab.

When we arrived we were shown to our room which was looking rather tired. It looked a little sad with flaking paint in the bathroom and heavy furniture which was quite dusty. Patio doors not working too well out onto the patio and hot tub area. This area was quite shabby too.
The bed was comfortable and we enjoyed the hot tub.

Then to dinner. Overall we were pleased with our food, although the organisation in the restaurant was rather disjointed.
Breakfast was ok. The food was nice but the service wasn't great. We had to ask for dishes, milk, spoons etc. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming but it feels as though the restaurant needs some direction and better management of staff.

We did enjoy our stay but there are some issues that really need addressing if the crab wants to keep its reputation. We would need reassurance that things had improved before we visited again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

For our second visit to the crab me and my partner chose the venetian style room 'Cipriani' the room its self is nicely decorated (but very very dark) the only minor niggle is the floor has a lot of scuffs and mark which in my opinion made it look very dirty, eventho it wasn't!

Staff at reception couldn't be friendlier or do enough to help, they are an absolute credit to the crab!!

Dinner was a let down... seemed like we were being waited on by 2 members of staff as we got asked drinks orders, desert orders etc twice! I didn't like anything on the menu so the chef kindly made me a very basic pasta dish with a tomato sauce ( no meat or fish ) and we were charged £17 for the pleasure!

When our bill came there were over £40 worth of drinks we did not order on it... luckily we didn't wait and pay on check out in the morning as this may have proved quite difficult to query the next day!

Despite these minor issues we still had an amazing stay and will not hesitate to return soon as our aim is to stay in all of the hot tub rooms :)

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed one night in the Bora Bora suite with it's own private hot tub which was just so relaxing and luxurious. We checked in at 5pm and spent the first 2 hours just sipping prosecco in the hot tub.

Dinner in the restaurant was fantastic, I had a starter of crab and beetroot, main of scallop and chorizo risotto and pistachio soufflé pudding. All of the food was divine, except the desert that tasted like an omelette, luckily my boyfriend swapped with me...his lemon and blueberry tart was gorgeous. For three courses each, glass of prosecco each and a bottle of chablis the bill came to £102 which I thought was amazing value and quantity for money!

Breakfast in the morning was amazing...the waitress came in with food and placed it on the bed and took the dome pots up off the plates, so fancy!

A night in one of the hot tubs suites with dinner in their award winning seafood restaurant is the perfect treat.

Room Tip: Take a cork screw, nice to have wine in the hot tub. Take cash for the gratuity as they don't in...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My Wife and I booked into this Hotel as part of an annual "get together" we have with a number of friends who all worked together in the past. As most of us are from the South East, we tend to look for hotels/restaurants in this area.

This Hotel is in a lovely location and we were allocated the Zen room, one of their themed "Famous Rooms".

Unfortunately, this is completely the wrong name for this room as it is anything but a "Zen" experience. Firstly it is on the ground floor immediately adjacent to the main road outside and the traffic noise is quite intrusive. In addition, the room above is one of their "hot tub" spa rooms and when this is turned on, it's similar to being on the runway at Heathrow, the noise is quite unbearable.

Also, this room is quite small, with no seating available and the bed has a large frame surrounding it that the mattress is set into. This means that sitting on the bed is also difficult and it makes the bed approx 2' wider and longer than a normal bed, so the space in the room is even more prohibited, making it quite possible (without great care) to easily bang your shins or knees on the bed frame as you try to traverse around it to get to the bathroom.

Immediately outside this room are the store cupboards used by the housekeeping staff. In itself this is OK, but when they all decide to assemble there and chat at 8:00am, this is totally inappropriate. We were advised that this had been reported before, so it's an ongoing problem.

We also ate at the Crab and found this to be an only OK experience and certainly not the Wow expected either by reputation or price.

Despite pre-ordering our food a couple of Months in advance, they failed to fulfill one of our orders as they "had no squid" - shameful for a seafood restaurant. Tables were poorly set, cutlery missing, service patchy and food overpriced. I personally had the cold seafood platter which was surprisingly basic although everything listed on their menu was included, and I was surprised it wasn't served "on ice", just a wooden platter. The effect of this, naturally is that the cold seafood rapidly warms up as you eat it and it becomes less palatable.

We are from the North of England and regularly visit our local seafood restaurant "The Bridgewater Arms", which is excellent. In addition, a whole lobster is served in whatever style for approx £24. At the Crab they charge £50 (£25 for half), also the seafood platter is a genuine "fruits of the sea" medley with approx twice the variety, served on ice and charged at £30 - the Crab charges £44. My Wife chose the 1/2 lobster thermidor which she has eaten in many places and has never been served as a small plain lobster and a sauce boat of very thin sauce alongside, inadequate and lazy preparation.

Overall. poor value for money and only average service, thankfully our friends were there and the their company prevented this from being an absolutely rubbish experience. We wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't choose the ZEN room if you want any space, peace or quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robert P
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I booked the Crab at Chieveley before Xmas for my Fiance's Birthday treat - his birthday was January but we couldn't get a room with a hot tub before March - so we booked up and waited. I'd heard a lot of hype about this place and was really hoping it would live up to expectations. I had nothing to worry about - it was utterly fantastic. we stayed overnight and chose the themed room "Bird Island" which is an island in the Seychelles. We arrived at 4pm and were shown to the room, which we loved and were pleased to see complimentary water, tea/coffee and biscuits! As well as a proper coffee machine and even a DVD player! It was a glorious day so we spent most of the late afternoon chilling in the hot tub before getting ready for dinner. We had a lovely table in a corner and were pleasantly surprised by how attentive the staff were - nothing was too much trouble. We ordered our dinner and then a complimentary entree from the chef was brought out to us - a very nice touch. Our starters arrived and were delicious but we had to wait a while for our main course to arrive. We felt in no rush, as we were staying there, so didn't say anything. However, just before our main arrived the manager came over to apologise for the delay and said that he would give us complimentary drinks afterwards to compensate for the delay - a really nice touch. My fiance and I both had the sea bass for main course and agreed it was the best fish we'd ever eaten. We're not pudding people but even managed to eat one each and again this was great, I would highly recommend The Crab at Chieveley - even if you just go for dinner but if you get the chance to stay too then do - it was a great weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My wife and I stayed there for my birthday for 2nights. we had a great time and could not fault the food, it was perfect. BUT we noticed the room had a leak from the back of the toilet. also the shower had no hot water. the bath was ok but for both days we were left without a shower. we reported it twice to staff there who told us maintenance would take a look. but they did not so for the stay we had a towel around the base of the toilet soaking up water that would leak on the floor every time it was flushed. As a plumber by trade this upset me as i understand more than most regarding the situation in our room. hope they fix bird island room before someone else stays there

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I have stayed at The Crab with my partner 3 times now and absolutely LOVE this place. The rooms have all been beautiful and the food and service is always exceptional. If I had to say a negative word then all I could think of would be the 'check in' time... The earliest you can arrive is 4pm which I found a little late as it doesn't give you enough time to enjoy the hot tub and room enough before dinner but then that really isn't a problem, it would just be nice to be able to check in a little earlier if possible. See you soon Chieveley :-)

• Stayed January 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chieveley
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Streatley-on-Thames
The Dundas Arms
The Dundas Arms
#1 of 1 in Kintbury

Been to Crab & Boar? Share your experiences!