We spent a very enjoyable Friday and Saturday in the Crab's Bird Island themed room and thought it was a brilliant way to spend the weekend. We explored Newbury, Donington Castle and Bucklebury Farm Park - all within easy driving distance - before retiring to our hot tub room.
Bird Island is a great room with wooden themed decorations and possibly the highest bed we've ever seen. It's so high it gives you a birds eye view of the place so who knows, it could be part of the theme too. The room was full of nice little touches like a Nespresso machine, cookies and even a few sachets of hot chocolate.
The hot tub itself was great although is set daily at 40 degrees so can be a little hot when you get in. Leaving the cover off and adding cold water can help but it would have been nice to specifically be told not to play with the temperature controls on the side of the tub.
There were just a couple of other niggles too - the plugs are very hard to reach so recharging phones is tricky and the kettle had to sit on the floor while it boiled. The bathroom nice but a bit dated - the overhead shower didn't really heat up but the 'stick' shower nozzle did just fine.
Breakfast at the hotel was everything you'd expect too and there's no extra charge for having it brought to the room - nice touch.
All in all a very good stay - we liked it so much we've already booked our return for 2015 in the Bora Bora room. See you soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of Berkshire countryside, The Crab & Boar is a stunning country pub with rooms offering award-winning British cuisine and 14 country-style bedrooms. Sink into one of our 14 stylish rooms and unwind in your own private corner of the Berkshire countryside. All bedrooms feature antique furnishing, luxury throws, Egyptian cotton linen, flat screen TVs, natural Bramley bath and body products and Tea and coffee making facilities. Some rooms have their own private hot tub. Dogs are more than welcome. The two AA Rosettes restaurant serves beautiful seafood and seasonal game in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our Head Chef Tom uses locally sourced and seasonal ingredients so you can expect that every plate on the Crab & Boar menu is as fresh as it can be and is expertly crafted with a passion for the local countryside. With an easy access to the M4 motoway, The Crab & Boar is located 25 minute drive away from historic Oxford, 16 minutes from Newbury Racecourse and 19 minutes from Highclere castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Crab & Boar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crab At Chieveley Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Hotel Chieveley
- The Crab Chieveley
- Crab & Boar Chieveley, Berkshire